DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Default New G2's can't get wrinkles to go away...

I have a new Sonor kit and as recommended by many, I immediately replaced the stock heads with new Evans G2's all the way around on the toms. The stock Sonor reso's were left in place and I have an Aquarian SK2 for the kick.

Anyway, I have tuned the drums to my prefered sound but in certain light I can still see slight wrinkles. The heads are not loose at all but they aren't cranked down either. I have a drum dial that reads about 74 on the batters. Are the wrinkles supposed to be 100% gone? Like I said, they are not major wrinkles and you have to be in the right light to even see them they are just buggin the heck out of me.

I've only been drumming for a year folks, so go easy on me...
Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New G2's can't get wrinkles to go away...

If you like the sound, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably the 2 plies of film not being perfectly flat against each other when the head was made.

Just a slight defect, but if it sounds good, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt it'd have any effect on the length of use of the head.

There are some "How It's Made" videos about Evan's heads on YouTube if you cared to check them out.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator

If it sounds OK it should not be a problem but if it bothers you take the head and turn it on the drum and retune and see if this make them go away. All of my toms have G2's and I have never seen a wrinkle.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 PM
audiotech

I'm using Evans G2 clear batter heads on the toms of three of my kits and there's not a wrinkle to be found. In the preliminary stages of mounting and tensioning the heads, I go no farther until there are no visible wrinkles at each tension rod. This is very simple, just put very light pressure against the center of the head with your index finger, if you see a wrinkle just tighten up on that rod or rods until the wrinkles disappear. From here, start getting the head in tune with itself. If you like how it sounds, you're done. When the head is at this stage it's called JAW, just above wrinkle. This is usually the point where you'll hear the lowest fundamental frequency for the size of the shell. Most of the time it takes another 1/16th or 1/8th of a turn to each rod to get close to hearing the shell sing.

This is just how I've been doing it for many years and it works for me.

Dennis
Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 PM

Just i bought coated g2s for my 12 and 14 renoun toms, the 14 tuned up nice the 12 has some wrinkles to, i took it off and re did it another way, the wrinkles seem to go away but, the main problem was when i was trying to tune on the low side, it sounded real ratty, i increased each rod a small turns, by the time it sounded good it was maxed out on the tension, this is the first time ever experience this problem, is the head bad, or do i have to stretch this out pretty good and keep trying it, any help is appreciated.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

To audiotech's advice I'd add that this sometimes happens when a head isn't mounted perfectly evenly--you have to add a large amount of tension to make up for it.

Try this: remove the rim and tension rods and slowly spin the head around on the shell. If it binds in some places and not others, leave it in a place where it doesn't bind. Reinstall the rim and tension rods and bring it to finger tight. Now use two keys on opposing tension rods and add very small increments at a time. After doing the tension rods at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, do the ones at 3 and 9. Then do the ones in between. Keep to the pattern. This helps get the head on as evenly as possible and the wrinkles will come out at the lowest tension possible.

Another trick is to start tuning the head from finger tight by feel. Curl your fingers over the rim, near a tension rod, so that your fingertips are touching both the head's collar and the shell of the drum. Add tension to that tension rod until you feel the collar move relative to the shell. Now do the opposite rod the same way, and continue in the pattern. Only add enough tension to feel the collar move. Do two or three rounds of this and you ought to have the head on evenly.