DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Head choices for an 18" Bass Drum?

I've been toying around with an 18x16 bass drum I own, but can't seem to settle on which heads work best for this drum. I have a Coated Emperor on the batter, but can't seem to get the resonant head right. If I have a hole in the resonant head, I get the pedal feel I like, but the drum sounds like cardboard (way too much attack, and no resonance), but if I go with a solid head on the resonant side (no hole), the pedal feel isn't very good (too much rebound due to the air not being able to escape quickly from the drum). So, for those out there with 18" kicks, what head combination can you recommend? Perhaps the I should adjust the size of the hole on the resonant side (i.e., go with a smaller hole? right now, it's about a 3-4" hole). Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Head choices for an 18" Bass Drum?

You could try an Evans EQ3 batter, which is vented - so you might be able to loose the hole in the reso head - and use a single ply medium weight smooth head for the reso. This should preserve some of the feel of the ported front head - but retain more resonance.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by msj67 View Post
I've been toying around with an 18x16 bass drum I own, but can't seem to settle on which heads work best for this drum. I have a Coated Emperor on the batter, but can't seem to get the resonant head right. If I have a hole in the resonant head, I get the pedal feel I like, but the drum sounds like cardboard (way too much attack, and no resonance), but if I go with a solid head on the resonant side (no hole), the pedal feel isn't very good (too much rebound due to the air not being able to escape quickly from the drum). So, for those out there with 18" kicks, what head combination can you recommend? Perhaps the I should adjust the size of the hole on the resonant side (i.e., go with a smaller hole? right now, it's about a 3-4" hole). Thanks in advance.
If you need the porting for feel, definitely go smaller. 2" max or try 2-4 holes around the perimeter 1/2" in diameter similar to what DW does
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

I play an 18 x 14 bass drum on my Tama StageStar. I use an Aquarian SKII for the batter tuned medium, 75 on drum dial. I use a Tama Starclassic Black logo head on the reso with a 3 1/2 inch porthole, also tuned medium tension. I made a 2 inch riser for the drum and my beater hits in the middle of the head. (very important)
I use a thin Evans clear head protector. The drum plays with a good amount of thump and sustain. I get good volume also. I don't use anything inside of the drum. I also use a large classic felt beater on my vintage Tama 80s pedal.
If I play lightly, I get a good jazz sound. If I kick it hard, I get a good open thump with definition and some sustain. Im very happy with this little kicker as well as the whole kit. I also both bury and don't bury the beater to vary the sound depending on my need.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 01-22-2010 at 10:56 PM.