DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 AM
Derek Derek is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So. California
Posts: 554
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

That's an amazing collection Wy. You could start your own drum store just with what you already have. In fact, you have a better selection than ...
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 AM
timmdrum's Avatar
timmdrum timmdrum is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 732
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Very impressive gear collection!

Shouldn't this thread have been posted in the Your Place section?
__________________
My player site
My instructor site
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post

Shouldn't this thread have been posted in the Your Place section?
It wasn't????

Oh no. Very sorry. I thought it was. How can I move it?

Oh and thanks. I hope to have the rest of it up at some stage. I have some lovely new snares to add. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
That's an amazing collection Wy. You could start your own drum store just with what you already have. In fact, you have a better selection than ...
Cheers mate.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Cedwico's Avatar
Cedwico Cedwico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 103
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Your collection is nothing compared to my black panther snare, tama swingstar kit, dimavery cocktail kit and... ermmmmm, tambourine with a picture of a kitten on that I've had since I was 7. That's about it.
__________________
THE FENTONS
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
drumhead61's Avatar
drumhead61 drumhead61 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

WY, just spent the better of my last hour looking at your incredible gear and just dreaming, drooling, and drumming in my head! Simply stunning collection and if there is more I cannot wait to see it...any Aussies out there...WY needs a camera to finish up the shooting...so take him one over.

Thank for sharing,
JIM
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-07-2010, 02:15 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Coming soon. The next snare. 13x8" blackwood block with jarrah hoops.
This is not mine. am talking with DS now. Mine may be slightly more exotic, but this is the basis for it. I may get a 12x8 and a 13x8. We'll see.



A few more of my snares. The Designer is a spectacular drum. Without a doubt the most powerful snare drum I have ever heard!

TAMA Starclassic bubinga koa, 6x14".







Here is the incredible Designer 14x5" maple walnut snare. This drum is irreplaceable!







12x5" Sonor Delite.





Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-07-2010, 04:40 PM
TomRaaff's Avatar
TomRaaff TomRaaff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 80
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Wow man, that's a huge collection...!!
This really is one of those fingerlicking sweet eyecandy threads :)

But I have a question. I saw you have two snares with 20 or more plies. What does that do to the sound?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaaff View Post

But I have a question. I saw you have two snares with 20 or more plies. What does that do to the sound?
To be honest it is hard to say. The sound seems thicker and more punchy. But really how can I compare? Each drum of mine has it's own character. People say a thinner shell resonates more, but that 27 ply Sonor kicks some serious butt in the resonance stakes. As does that particular Reference.

I choose snares individually. I checked many 27 ply Sonors before choosing that drum. I have heard Sonor 27 ply Artist beech snare drums that were rubbish. I checked out a Delite 14x5 snare and the kit it came with today and it was absolute crap. My view is that each drum is different. I love Sonor but that kit sucked. You have to search and ignore much you read on forums.

Every snare of mine is exceptional and was chosen with care for a specific purpose. That Yamaha snare is out of this world!

Last edited by wy yung; 06-06-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

More assorted stuff.








Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
VictorSxL VictorSxL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

You certainly have a very very nice collection of snare drums!:) You should maybe try the Mapex "Kung fu" snare just for the bad ass finnish.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Sonor SuperPhonic 10 ply beech shell 14x5 1/2.




Last edited by wy yung; 06-06-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

I have begun using Aquarian heads after 30 years with Remo. I am stunned at the quality. They are lovely heads. As are Remo. But this is a very pleasant change and they tune up so easily.



Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Nothing new as yet. I hope to have my other gear on film soon. I simply like these shots from last Sunday.



Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Not one of my better snares. But fine to take out on gigs.

Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Where's that mauve kit, Wy! :)
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,826
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

What don't you like about this snare Wy? Cast hoops look good.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
What don't you like about this snare Wy? Cast hoops look good.
There is nothing wrong with the snare. In fact it is my second V Donati snare. (I sold the first to a student to help him out) It simply has a hard time competing with my Designers, classic Luddies and what not. If anything can be said, the drum is under powered. One must work it so as to cut. The Sonors eat it without a thought. As do the Tamas. I have it for live gigs where I do not care if a drunk spills a drink on it. Pearl is Pearl after all. A fine brand but unexceptional. They do the job. Having said that, my Masterworks kit is amazing!
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Where's that mauve kit, Wy! :)
I decided to wait for that long mentioned Sonor deal. I just want a Sonor high end kit. I will wait..... :-)
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,826
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
There is nothing wrong with the snare. In fact it is my second V Donati snare. (I sold the first to a student to help him out) It simply has a hard time competing with my Designers, classic Luddies and what not. If anything can be said, the drum is under powered. One must work it so as to cut. The Sonors eat it without a thought. As do the Tamas. I have it for live gigs where I do not care if a drunk spills a drink on it. Pearl is Pearl after all. A fine brand but unexceptional. They do the job. Having said that, my Masterworks kit is amazing!
Thanks for that Wy. A valuable insight for sure. I too regard most Pearl stuff as mundane, the exception being my brass shell piccolo FF with cast hoops. It's still my preferred "cut yer head off" live snare. I genuinely have never found better for playing my kind of crap live (read, not exactly subtle). I have a beautiful 13" maple stave snare that rewards me with the woodyest of woody flavours, but for live backbeat stuff, the Pearl kills it!

With you on the Sonor high end kit desire. I used a stunning Sonor kit back in the day. Sonor is probably the only mass market kit I would consider. I've played a couple of SQ2's recently. They're really tasty (depending on the spec), but expensive.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Thanks for that Wy. A valuable insight for sure. I too regard most Pearl stuff as mundane, the exception being my brass shell piccolo FF with cast hoops. It's still my preferred "cut yer head off" live snare. I genuinely have never found better for playing my kind of crap live (read, not exactly subtle). I have a beautiful 13" maple stave snare that rewards me with the woodyest of woody flavours, but for live backbeat stuff, the Pearl kills it!

With you on the Sonor high end kit desire. I used a stunning Sonor kit back in the day. Sonor is probably the only mass market kit I would consider. I've played a couple of SQ2's recently. They're really tasty (depending on the spec), but expensive.
I too had a Pearl FF pic' snare. Great drums! Try it with a maple shell too. Awesome!

Note. I do not consider Sonor a mass producer. I believe they make approx' 300 high end kits a year. Less than one per day.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,826
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I too had a Pearl FF pic' snare. Great drums! Try it with a maple shell too. Awesome!

Note. I do not consider Sonor a mass producer. I believe they make approx' 300 high end kits a year. Less than one per day.
I'll try that shell suggestion for the FF Wy. Ok, you got me on the mass market thing. I guess I'm taking them in the round, including their budget outsourced stuff. I had a Birdseye maple Sonorphonic "powertom" kit in 1983. Another one of my sales regrets. Stunning finish, & possibly the heaviest shells I've ever hauled around. All cast hoops too (except the kick, of course), so even heavier. 12 lugs on the kick. OOOHHH
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'll try that shell suggestion for the FF Wy. Ok, you got me on the mass market thing. I guess I'm taking them in the round, including their budget outsourced stuff. I had a Birdseye maple Sonorphonic "powertom" kit in 1983. Another one of my sales regrets. Stunning finish, & possibly the heaviest shells I've ever hauled around. All cast hoops too (except the kick, of course), so even heavier. 12 lugs on the kick. OOOHHH
No prob. Was not trying to best you or anything. Just a drum geek talking drums.

The maple shells on the FF drums are great. I am sure you will love it. It also serves to rest the ears a bit.

I hope to take pic's of my other gear soon. I am having trouble paying the storage fees.

I could take shots of various pieces of percussion but reckon it may be a bit boring here.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 PM
cnw60's Avatar
cnw60 cnw60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AVL
Posts: 461
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post



now that is one seriously taped up drum - so what's up with that???

other than that - Wy, you are the Hugh Hefner of drum porn.
__________________
"practice, practice - all things are coming" Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

I am reading this on my phone and cannot see the pictures, but I suspect you are talking about the zabumba. Zabumbas usually are tuned so as to make the top heah quite dead. In Brasil they often use adhesive bandage. All I had was gaffa tape. The bottom head remains tight and free of dampening so when struck with the stick you get a nice tone. A mallet is used on the taped side.
Thanks for the compliment. Slowly my gear is getting to the thread. More soon I hope.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Yamaha 13x6" brass. It's a lovely drum. Only had time to shoot the one drum. Hopefully more next time.



Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
TomRaaff's Avatar
TomRaaff TomRaaff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 80
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Dude, I have a question.
If you buy a new snare, what are the things you're paying attention to?
Stuff like, power, dynamics and sustain?
What are the prime qualities of a snaredrum in your opinion?

You see, I don't really hear a big quality difference between some 300 snares and some 650 snares, so based on what grounds should I pay 650 for the 650 snare?
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaaff View Post
Dude, I have a question.
If you buy a new snare, what are the things you're paying attention to?
Stuff like, power, dynamics and sustain?
What are the prime qualities of a snaredrum in your opinion?

You see, I don't really hear a big quality difference between some 300 snares and some 650 sn
ares, so based on what grounds should I pay 650 for the 650 snare?
Great question! It really all comes down to experience and hearing development. I have heard so many drums over the years, so many... Plus I have studio experience and have heard and seen what works... Cheap drums provide cheap results as a rule. I look for clarity and definition as well as quality. The main thing here is experience. Cheap wine doesn't taste like quality wine.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Some of my 13" snares.













Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 AM
RobertM RobertM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

With your love for all the high-end Sonor drums, why on earth do you play a Pearl Masterworks kit?

I've heard most drummers feel lukewarm at most about Pearl, even the Masterworks stuff--good, but nothing really stellar and nothing about it that really stands out (like, say, Gretsch or Yamaha for jazz, Tama for rock, Ludwig for both, etc.).

Just curious what made you pick Pearl Masterworks above Sonor Designer or SQ2, or even one of the custom shops like Pork Pie or GMS or Craviotto.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

The Masterworks and all other Pearl drums were political. I was basically teaching for Pearl Australia for several years.

I was offered a Sonor deal but then the world financial crisis hit and nobody is getting deals. The MW kit is a great set. I have my eyes open for another set. My mate Dave may make me a kit. I may get a Le Soprano or Sonor. But really a bass drum is all I need. With my many ethnic drums I can have any kit I want. And to be honest standard drum sets bore me. In my last band my usual kit was a kick, 2 snares, hats, 2 rides, 2 congas, bongos and timbales. I would play percussion on my left and kit on my right. :)

The hard thing for me here is that I sold a gorgeous Tama maple Starclassic in order to get the MW. I made sure to sell it to a top student and did not lose money. But I miss that amazing kit. Tama and Sonor are among the best name brands IMO. Probably the best with far higher standards than Gretsch, Ludwig etc. And I know seeing as I bathed in the damned things for years. Tama maple drums fit any style, as do Sonor. Yammies are great too but the Nouvea lugs are a major pain.

Last edited by wy yung; 09-26-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 AM
RobertM RobertM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
The Masterworks and all other Pearl drums were political. I was basically teaching for Pearl Australia for several years.

I was offered a Sonor deal but then the world financial crisis hit and nobody is getting deals. The MW kit is a great set. I have my eyes open for another set. My mate Dave may make me a kit. I may get a Le Soprano or Sonor. But really a bass drum is all I need. With my many ethnic drums I can have any kit I want. And to be honest standard drum sets bore me. In my last band my usual kit was a kick, 2 snares, hats, 2 rides, 2 congas, bongos and timbales. I would play percussion on my left and kit on my right. :)

The hard thing for me here is that I sold a gorgeous Tama maple Starclassic in order to get the MW. I made sure to sell it to a top student and did not lose money. But I miss that amazing kit. Tama and Sonor are among the best name brands IMO. Probably the best with far higher standards than Gretsch, Ludwig etc. And I know seeing as I bathed in the damned things for years. Tama maple drums fit any style, as do Sonor. Yammies are great too but the Nouvea lugs are a major pain.
Have you had any experience with the new Starclassic Maples--the ones made in China? Are those still up to Tama's "old" Japanese plant standards?

I wanted a SC maple kit but waited too long. Now, I don't like the colors Tama offers.

Joel Rosenblatt once told me that SC maples were basically "tricked out" Gretsch USA kits--i.e., modeled on Gretsch custom drums but with better hardware. At least Gretsch still offers some good finishes. Tama's now suck, unless you go for the Omni-Tune or Japanese-made Elite Bubingas. Alas.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:59 AM
funkytomtom's Avatar
funkytomtom funkytomtom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 147
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

My initial reactions (besides lust) were all negative. IE; there is no way you have enough time to become proficient on all those instruments, I want a piece of your pie, I want to rob you...etc

BUT...I have realized that jealousy is not a positive emotion.

Sorry to hear about your neck; I hope you're seeing a good physiatrist. You do have some options to help with your foraminal stenosis.

Anyways; how do you like the Steve Jordan snare? I've heard lots of great things about it, and with your high standards, seeing it in your collections seems like a thumbs up.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 09-26-2010, 11:10 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

I have seen the Chinese made kits close up but I have not played them yet. They are certainly well made but so much has changed, metal air holes, metal logo, new colours etc.

The Starclassic is based in the Gretsch kits of old, thin shells, die cast hoops... Tama though has a higher standard. I have seen Gretsch Renown lugs snap! This never happened in my experience with Tama or Sonor. A Sonor 3007 kit, for example, has amazing engineering, as do Superstars.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytomtom View Post
My initial reactions (besides lust) were all negative. IE; there is no way you have enough time to become proficient on all those instruments, I want a piece of your pie, I want to rob you...etc

BUT...I have realized that jealousy is not a positive emotion.

Sorry to hear about your neck; I hope you're seeing a good physiatrist. You do have some options to help with your foraminal stenosis.

Anyways; how do you like the Steve Jordan snare? I've heard lots of great things about it, and with your high standards, seeing it in your collections seems like a thumbs up.
Well I am not a virtuoso on each instrument, but I am good enough to be hired to play and teach many of them. Some I don't teach because I know better teachers on those instruments. I recommend other teachers in those situations. An example is darbouka. I am still learning and practising. I am an eternal student. But on most of them, pandeiro to zabumba, congas etc I am hired to play and teach.

I never married because of my addiction to practising and study. It has been thus since I began 30 odd years ago. And I began as a working musician in 1982. Plus I studied martial arts and am a bona fide master and instructor in several styles. Health robbed me of that but I can still be a musician.

The Jordan snare is not as good as its reputation IMO. Compared to the equivalent Sonor Amboina, there is no comparrison. The drum is basically unfinished, has cheap inserts and rims.. Buy the Amboina. But the SJ does sound good. But not as good as the Sonor. HTH :)

Last edited by wy yung; 09-26-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Artstar's Avatar
Artstar Artstar is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles/Tijuana
Posts: 1,608
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
With your love for all the high-end Sonor drums, why on earth do you play a Pearl Masterworks kit?

I've heard most drummers feel lukewarm at most about Pearl, even the Masterworks stuff--good, but nothing really stellar and nothing about it that really stands out (like, say, Gretsch or Yamaha for jazz, Tama for rock, Ludwig for both, etc.).

Just curious what made you pick Pearl Masterworks above Sonor Designer or SQ2, or even one of the custom shops like Pork Pie or GMS or Craviotto.
I owned the Masterworks and they are definitely some of the nicest stuff around. Have you owned one RobM ?? They kick any dw or the "Assembler" dudes you mentioned. Seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
RobertM RobertM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
I owned the Masterworks and they are definitely some of the nicest stuff around. Have you owned one RobM ?? They kick any dw or the "Assembler" dudes you mentioned. Seriously.
I've played an MMP, which is basically a Masterworks 4-ply shell sans a fancy finish. The Masterworks difference is finish and maybe doing a rounded 45 edge instead of a sharp 45 on the MMPs, right?

Not saying Masterworks are bad--just have never really heard or felt that they are on the same ga-ga level as, say, a Sonor Designer or something.

What do you play now? Why did you stop with the Masterworks? I would consider getting a Masterworks, but the six-month wait--eek!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Artstar's Avatar
Artstar Artstar is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles/Tijuana
Posts: 1,608
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
I've played an MMP, which is basically a Masterworks 4-ply shell sans a fancy finish. The Masterworks difference is finish and maybe doing a rounded 45 edge instead of a sharp 45 on the MMPs, right?

Not saying Masterworks are bad--just have never really heard or felt that they are on the same ga-ga level as, say, a Sonor Designer or something.

What do you play now? Why did you stop with the Masterworks? I would consider getting a Masterworks, but the six-month wait--eek!
I hear what you are saying, maybe next to a Sonor Designer. The MMP or previous MMX I also owned that, and the Masterworks I had was definitely above to SOME degree, fit/finish. I cannot nail it down exactly, but the freakin' MW I had (4 ply Mahogany with Maple rings), was just so PERFECT, it was almost like a direct injection mold or something. It was beyond flawless. The paint looked like it had 20 more clearcoats on the outside, and it had a VERY nice interior finish, like halfway between a satin and gloss. Nicer than any dw or MMX/MMP I have ever seen.

I am not playing ANYTHING now because my band is no longer, and I have to travel around for work like an idiiot. When I have more stability, the next thing I would probably do is build/assemble another kit. You should try it, then you will start looking at certain companies VERY differently.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 09-27-2010, 02:36 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

MW kits are certainly good. My kits sounds great. The birch toms really bark and the mahogany kick has a lovely tone.

I no longer represent Pearl and I need to get rid of the kit. I plan on performing clinics in the school system next year and can't really have Pearl drums on stage. 2 weeks ago a student used a Pearl kit in a situation similar and the person responsible for buying instruments for 3 schools remarked how she would buy Pearl kits.

I also prefer the sound of other brands.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Alan0899's Avatar
Alan0899 Alan0899 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Attunga, NSW, Australia
Posts: 17
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

G'day Mate,
I see you are looking to get a Sleishman snare, have you checked out Capricorn drums, have a look, http://www.capricorndrums.com/ you might be suprised, I have one & it is amazing.
__________________
Percussion is Power.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

I only just noticed something, the warlord and Jordan are not mine. My original post was deleted yesterday by the dark side of the force. I ended up redoing it without text quickly while at Pol's place. I am checking them out for a mate.

The Jordan failed the test. The Warlord passed.

Dave Sleishman is a mate.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com