DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-30-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Tomas Haake

Drummer for Swedish insane metal band Meshuggah. He's got independence that would scare most other drummers, and the crazy chops to go with it. Yeah, I know he didn't record the drums for Catch 33 but so what? It's one CD. Their next CD will be different and I'm sure he'll record the drums himself. It was to save time. He has nothing to prove anymore and obviously doesn't have a big ego like most drummers do.

http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Tomas_Haake.html

www.meshuggah.net

Last edited by meshuggah1324; 07-01-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tomas Haake

Either way he's most likely going to have to learn the songs to play them live. I am pretty sure the real reason he didn't record the drums on Catch 33 was because of the Nuclear Blast contract. They have a certain number of cd's to be released in a certain amount of time, during the contract. From what I heard Tomas didn't have time to get them all down and they had to use a drum machine to get it done in time.

At least, that's what I heard and i'm pretty sure it's true. Correct me if i'm wrong...
Old 06-30-2005, 11:39 PM

You're 100% correct.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:01 PM

The band said they wont be playing catch 33 live. So learning it wont be a problem although I dont doubt he could do so. I admire his guts to program the drums. Some purists probably jibe him for that.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:58 AM

hes a great drummer, erally different, the patterns he plays, they are crazy, you have to give him credit just for the jacked up times he plays.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:50 PM

http://www.nuclearblast.de/usa/catch33/

:-)
Old 07-06-2005, 01:03 AM

Also thought I'd post this. It's from the Mike Portnoy forum. Some dude made a Meshuggah tribute song. He used the DFH and recorded guitar and bass himself. I like...!

http://members.home.nl/r.basic/html/...20Paralize.mp3

Also some Haake doing sound check:

http://genjac.free.fr/shuggah_paris/...heck_Tomas.avi
Old 07-15-2005, 01:35 PM

Tomas haake is a genious in his own right. It's really an achievment to be able to
manipulate rhythms and mix and match time signatures like he does. 95% of his chops
baffle my mind.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Pioneer Member

i only recently got into meshuggah, and i have to say they're one of the only metal bands i have really enjoyed listening to. they're just a killer band, and thomas haake is brilliant.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Elemental Nausea

meshuggah is unbelieveble; a completely overpowered metal band
Old 07-15-2005, 10:45 PM

No one sounds like Meshuggah. They're above all other metal bands if you ask me.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:29 AM

http://img304.imageshack.us/my.php?i...andmike1pm.png
Old 07-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Ah, good ol' Meshuggah. They've made the same 3 songs 700 times. Chaosphere and Destroy, Erase, Improve were good albums, but I can't stand anything else. Haake's quite a good drummer though, but flavorless.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:22 AM

Meshuggah isn't full of flavor, but they do have groove. Nothing is full of groove. Haake can do more but it wouldn't fit the music.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Pioneer Member

True, I couldn't imagine funky ghost notes on the snare sounding good on Concatenation.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Pioneer Member

The Ep "I" is my all time favourite song/album from Meshuggah that I have heard til now. I tought I was getting epileptic, gosh !!!!! that's so violently good. Haake sounds like a machine but you can't find a better way to fit in meshuggah's music. The lyrics are also very well done.
Seeing him live just shouts your mouth, it's bestial, you can't move it's just so powerful so properly disordered.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
drumby

theyve gone to far with the mathematical metal stuff on catch 33. if the next album is like that im preety sure they might lose a couple of fans. destroy, erase improve was a great album, bring back the good old sound and stop trying so much to make rediculous beats, which are good in small amounts, not an entire album. They cant even play this album live because it would make the crowd bored.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Like I said, they've made the same 3 songs 700 times. I think the best thing they could do to honor the Meshuggah name is break up, leave the legacy where it is, since it's already survived 2 bad albums.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:05 PM

"Nothing" was a great album. "I" wasn't bad. I like Catch 33. Can't honestly say it's my favorite Meshuggah CD, but the guitar playing is amazing. I would bet you my bottom dollar that their next CD will be more like DEI and Chaosphere.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Opus

Hello!

I`m not so shure that he used the DFH because he didnt have time to lay the drums down. Meshuggah have used the DFH on other tracks before, and since his name is equal with the program, what could`nt be better for own marketing =) ??? Any thoughts about that?

By the way, Meshuggah is such a great band.... I saw them live in Sweden a couple a months ago.......amazing. Blew me away!!!! I`ve never heard a group of persons sound so much like a bunch of machines before.....AND STILL DOING IT BEYOND GOOD!!

Off with my hat to thoose guys!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom
The band said they wont be playing catch 33 live. So learning it wont be a problem although I dont doubt he could do so. I admire his guts to program the drums. Some purists probably jibe him for that.
From memory I believe a lot of the drum programming for Meshuggah is done by Fredrik Thordendal. I'm not even 100% as to how much of it Haake did for Catch 33. Thordendal is a mean programmer, go check out some of the sample tracks he did for the DfHS website over at Toontrack. You can tell it's not real soloed, but I sincerely doubt even most drummers would be able to pick the difference in a good mix. From an old MD interview I believe Thordendal writes most of the drum parts using samples, then hands them over to Haake who learns them and works in fills and ghosting as he sees fit. The latest album seems to have skipped this step and just used the original programmed parts, albeit with some nice post-processing on the production.

When it comes to Haake himself, he's a monster. I've seen numerous live videos and he's a co-ordination machine. But yes, the band does tend to make the same album 50x. I personally think that each iteration makes some nice improvements, but they're the kind of band that makes one good album over their lifetime, gradually. A "greatest hits" album would be the best Meshuggah album ever.

Anybody who dislikes Nothing can go listen to Closed Eye Visuals from the solo onwards. That kicks the teeth out of most of DEI and Chaosphere, even if the rest of that album wasn't great. Catch 33 is nice background music for driving, haven't tried listening to it any other way yet.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:20 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Thomas Haake Video

I found this on Google Video http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...176&q=drumming
Old 11-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Thomas Haake Video

nice playing. video quality could be better but it's ok. google video is really cool btw.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Thomas Haake Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums
I just found this video on Youtube.com where there it says that this guy is a Thomas Haake "type" of drummer, so now I'm not entirely sure it is him. Maybe someone else can say for sure.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Pioneer Member

yeah I wouldn't know for sure either. I already thought he looked different from the pictures I've seen of him.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:59 PM

That was NOT Tomas Haake. That was a fan. Tomas Haake's page on drummerworld.com has been updated with new pics! And Meshuggah (the band he drums for is going to write and record another CD soon now that their U.S. tour is over).

http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Tomas_Haake.html

www.meshuggah.net
Old 11-25-2005, 08:03 PM

Here is Tomas Haake doing a quick sound check. He's not even trying that hard at all. Click on this link and "save as" to your computer.

http://genjac.free.fr/shuggah_paris/...heck_Tomas.avi
Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 PM

i wish there were some decent videos of haake drumming. also if you just search drumming on google video there is some atrocious crap.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:24 PM

Hey guuuuys,

A few words in defense of Tomas and Meshuggah.

I personally don't believe they've ever released a record that is anything short of completely inspired. I'm a massive fan, so I know I speak with bias - but every release, whether it be full album, or EP or whatever, is always guarantied to be a monumental piece of work - and something that leaves other heavy music standing.

Whether it be an experimental piece ('I', 'Catch 33', 'True Human Design' EP etc) or one of their full-on, solid as-you-like albums, the pure and unmistakable artistry, integrity, skill and vision of each piece is always completely un-faultable.

This said, I know the band felt 'rushed' with 2002's 'Nothing' as they had to get there ass's on Ozzfest in the US - and in some tracks, you can defiantly hear that the production/finished piece isn't quite up to the usual Meshuggah level - but this is with good reason, they had to get to the States and tour. This is one of those unfortunate things - but it's just the way it goes sometimes. I still have 100% unblemished respect for them, and even with its 'failings', 'Nothing' is still a HUGE album, and something which pisses all over other heavy releases from that year!

The other thing that seems to have come up a few times on this forum is the fact that 'Catch 33' is programmed. But I ask, what on earth is wrong with that?! You're completely missing the innovative leap that 'Catch 33' has made!! could YOU even begin to make something like that?! haha

The 'reason' for the use of programmed drums (as if you should need one) is that the rest of the content of the album (one 47 min piece of music, and not strictly an 'album' either) was changing on a hour-to-hour basis, and it simply wasn't possible to re-take the drum tracks every single time a change was made to any other part of the sound/tracks.

As if the execution and the over-all effect (one of a soulless, unfeeling mechanism) wasn't enough!!

It's not EVEN as if meshuggah (the programming is not just done by Haake) just used a random piece of software to do this, Haake was a part of the development team which created DFH anyway!! (a fine piece of software in my opinion, if a little heavy on your CPU :oP)

The dedication to, over-all knowledge of, and exceptional approach to the instrument as a whole is something which puts Haake WAY out in front as one of todays most innovative and inspiring players.

AND (just a final point :P) someone has previously mentioned 'Haake has nothing to prove anymore - if he wants do use programmed drums in place of a live-take he damn well can' or words to that effect - this is true, but to top it all of - i've SEEN meshuggah play parts/movements from 'Catch 33' LIVE on stage, so regardless of the 'is programming a good thing' debate - they can play it anyway :oP.

nothing to prove.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:52 AM

Default Tomas Haake

Tomas Haake of Meshuggah.

I think he's one of the best, if not the best metal drummer around.

He plays some jaw dropping beats. Check out Meshuggah's "Destroy Erase Improve" CD if you haven't already and you're into heavier some what technical music.

Sure there's more technical metal drummers out there. Sure there's faster metal drummers. But Tomas Haake is the total package and would have most drummers tied in a knot in little time.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tomas_Haake.html
Old 02-18-2006, 06:01 AM
Administrator Emeritus

meshuggah1324, I'm starting to think you really like this drummer.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 AM

I've been a Meshuggahead for so long now I don't even think of Tomas when I try to list my favorite drummers. He finds a class of his own...his name isn't even worth mentioning since all other names after his will be shadowed with doubt.

That was a little too poetic, but anyway, Tomas rules. I know he catches some negative opinions because he's toned down his speed on recent albums. But that's part of the artistic adventure, the ability to change. His groove is stronger than ever, his stead-fast ability to play exactly what's needed for the song is something a lot of metal drummers could pay more attention to. Plus he can STILL pull off his Chaosphere beats for live shows, not to mention songs off of Catch 33. Hearing his live version of Shed is one of my highlights from last year's concerts. The man is incredible.

I can't wait for a new Meshuggah album.

-Cris
Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

i like the intro to war, which was a rare track. i think hes one of the best metal drummers
Old 04-07-2006, 12:57 AM

War, on Rare Trax, is actually programmed using samples from his set, using the Drumkit From Hell. But yeah, the drum sound on the track is incredible.

Anyone else use DFH for any programming that I can hear, cause I'd like to hear it's use outside of the Meshuggah realm.

-Cris
Old 04-07-2006, 06:23 AM

Catch 33 is an amazing guitar based recording... Haake has said that learning the 13 minute section of it that they now play live was a lot harder on the guitarists than him. I hope the band gets to take their time on the next record and really combine the great elements of what has existed in each of thir albums into a truly cohesive, grooving, sonic apocalypse!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:18 AM

Meshuggah is in the studio right now. Haake will be recording the drums this time around. I'm excited to see what direction they take.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 AM

Oh, so Haake didn't record the drums on Catch 33? That's disapointing...
I just ordered that along with Cephalic Carnage's Anomalies. I currently only have Meshuggah's single I and a few other various songs I downloaded, and was hoping to get a nice full CD with Haake. Oh well, from what I've heard he's a great drummer and I especially love his drum set up. I is amazing.

Edit: Oops, sorry for the bump. I was just looking through http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tomas_Haake.html and found a link to this page. I didn't notice the date of the thread...
Old 04-24-2006, 06:50 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

If you want a really good Meshuggah record with Haake it's usually best to start with Destroy Erase Improve. Chaosphere was recorded in a hurry and Haake didn't get much of a chance to flesh the parts out with fills and variation. DEI has a lot more of that. Ditto Nothing, although a lot of people don't like that album too much. I don't really know why, personally... it's certainly got some of Thomas's best playing on it, and "Closed Eye Visuals" is one of Meshuggah's best songs ever...
Old 04-24-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Ditto Nothing, although a lot of people don't like that album too much. I don't really know why, personally
Cause it was the beginning of their embracing of a "groove" sound instead of their Chaospheresque turmoil. That's the impression I've gotten from 90% of Meshuggah fans I've talked to who don't care for their newer music.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:52 AM

Thanks, I'll definately look into Destroy Erase Improve.
Also, maybe someone here can figure this out. I have a Meshuggah song that I downloaded a while ago somewhere, but have no clue what it's called or the album it's from. I really like it though.

It starts of with something sounding like a train moving through a station, and that sort of fades into the song. There's also a "beep beep beep beep" type thing at the begining of the song.
I know that's not a great description, but it's all I can remember right now (the song's not on this computer). I can try and upload a little of it later though, if noone's sure.