DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 AM

Default Ed Cassidy

This guy was in one of the best bands of the 60's and 70's and likely not many people know who he is. I'm hoping some of the old timers here know his work.
And he was old then! Still playing now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfoMpnZ02c
Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Ed Cassidy

Ed Cassidy was a big influence on me. Not his drumming, but his drum sets. Unique.

Also, every time I saw a picture of him he was smiling. It taught me you don't have to have the dark, back alley, tough attitude to be in music. He defied imagery. The shaved head. Ahead of his time on that one.

He was a true jazz-rock drummer, too. He really combined the two.

A great ambassador for the art.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Ed Cassidy

Ed Cassidy

He is one of my favorite all time and maybe my biggest drum influence. I've been a big Spirit fan from the 1960's on. They even wrote a song about him, Mr. Skin, due to his bald head. As pointed out in the profile link posted by @jim_gregory, he was considerably older than the other rock stars of the 1960's.

Ed started as a jazz drummer in the late 1930's. He played with such notables as Art Pepper, Cannonball Adderley, and Roland Kirk.

In the early 60's, he helped form a band called Rising Sons, with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder.

In 1967 he helped formed the band Spirit with his step-son Randy California on guitar.

Here is Ed in action: http://youtu.be/E_jYkwWjgh8?t=1h2m27s. I love his facial contortions.

Here is a picture of the drum kit that @Drumsinhisheart mentioned.

As an aside, Ed's step-son, Randy California, was born Randy Wolfe. However, he was in the band Jimmy James and the Blue Flames with another Randy who was from Texas, so the two Randys became Randy Texas and Randy California. "Jimmy James" invited Randy California to go to England with him for a project, but his parents (including step-dad Ed) wouldn't let him go because he was only 16.

"Jimmy James" went to England without him and formed a band with a drummer named Mitch Mitchell and bass player named Noel Redding. Thus Randy California just missed, due to youth, becoming a member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.