DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Default What do you use to move your drums? (Vehicle wise)

Okay Im talking cars/truck/suv's here.

I'm looking into getting something that is much more drum friendly then my Acura Integra, so i need ideas.

I love driving a 5 speed so it would be killer if I could get something that comes with a manual transmission. Also im looking for a used vehicle, nothing new and expensive.
Oh, and as always, good fuel economy is a HUGE plus.

So what do you have that has been good for moving your drums? What cars/truck/SUV's have what it takes?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: What do you use to move your drums? (Vehicle wise)

I tend to drive one of my family's mid 90s Nissan pickup with a camper shell. I'm working on getting together a station wagon to replace my old wrecked car.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:27 PM

I've been thinking about switching cars as well. I think I might buy something small with good fuel economy that can tow a small trailer. Maybe a small Honda SUV or Toyota.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Pioneer Member

What's your budget?

I have a 6 year old Sante Fe that I can get all my necessary gear into the backseat and back and still have room for one passenger.

You could get an old van for a couple of grand and have all the room you need. You won't find a five speed van though.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I've been very pleased with my '93 Toyota T-100, which was the first 'small' truck with a full-size bed, and with almost 190k, it still runs like new.

I've considered what to replace it with when the time comes, and I'd definitely stick with a cargo-type vehicle for a few reasons. Loading drums is very easy (as opposed to weaseling them in/out of a sedan,) you can generally fit more things into a large open space (than the nooks & crannies of a sedan or minivan with seating,) and ease of moving other items (sofas, file cabinets, dog kennels, boxed items, etc.) is a real plus.

The only possible drawback on many models is that they're 2-seaters (and getting a 4-seat truck reduces cargo space, so that's not an option,) but we also have a Camry for taking friends around. But whenever I question whether to stick with a utility vehicle for my use, I always have to answer 'yes'.

Bermuda
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 PM

My parents bring my 4 piece kit in either my mums Vauxhall Astra or my dads Renault Scenic (my bad if the spellings wrong). Hope I get a big enough car when I'm old enough to drive.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I've been very pleased with my '93 Toyota T-100, which was the first 'small' truck with a full-size bed, and with almost 190k, it still runs like new.

I've considered what to replace it with when the time comes, and I'd definitely stick with a cargo-type vehicle for a few reasons. Loading drums is very easy (as opposed to weaseling them in/out of a sedan,) you can generally fit more things into a large open space (than the nooks & crannies of a sedan or minivan with seating,) and ease of moving other items (sofas, file cabinets, dog kennels, boxed items, etc.) is a real plus.

The only possible drawback on many models is that they're 2-seaters (and getting a 4-seat truck reduces cargo space, so that's not an option,) but we also have a Camry for taking friends around. But whenever I question whether to stick with a utility vehicle for my use, I always have to answer 'yes'.

Bermuda
Yeah, I agree a truck probably is the best option. I just hesitate to do that because when you have a truck, everyone has a truck if you know what I mean......."Hey you have a truck right?...." FAVORS
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee View Post
Yeah, I agree a truck probably is the best option. I just hesitate to do that because when you have a truck, everyone has a truck if you know what I mean......."Hey you have a truck right?...." FAVORS
I've received more than a few lunches and tips for such favors. Better for me to have the truck than to rely on someone else when I need to move something big!

Bermuda
Old 11-17-2009, 10:22 PM

Either my 2004 Toyota Highlander (kit fits in perfectly thanks to the fold down seats), comfortable, all wheel drive (no weather worries) and gets pretty good fuel mileage.
OR 2001 Chrysler Town & Country minivan - with seats out can get the full drum kit, 2 keyboards, Marshall stack, PA system, 3 guitar cases and miscellaneous mike stands, etc.

Works for me!

Christian Drummers Army
Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

The best vehicles I've owned to haul drums were VW vans. 1969, 1971 and 1972 were the three different years I owned, and the 71 had it all. Carrying capacity, amazing. They don't go very fast, but they have a "way cool" about them.
Second on my list, the Toyota van. Amazing creature. Mine was carpetted everywhere, inside. Very drum friendly. Options include 5 speed and 4 wheel drive.
Currently, I drive an Oldsmobile Cutlas wagon, 1994. Can't carry as much, but it drives like a car. V6 gives it "enough power" without copious fuel consumption properties.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I've received more than a few lunches and tips for such favors. Better for me to have the truck than to rely on someone else when I need to move something big!

Bermuda
This is very true...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 PM

I use a Ford Fiesta 2010 and i've had no problems as long there isn't more than 1 extra person besides me in the car since my drum is a 7 piece set with 7 cymbals and i don't have a rack so i have a lot of stands =P.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

A 1998 Ford Ka. Yes indeed.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
A 1998 Ford Ka. Yes indeed.
Ford rules!

Damn man how the hell do you put your drum kit in there?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Back seats down, it's really not that hard. I've managed to get a kit, three people and a guitar in there before.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Back seats down, it's really not that hard. I've managed to get a kit, three people and a guitar in there before.
I take off my hat to you for that accomplishment my friend!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I use my beautiful, squeaky clean, lettered and logo'ed white 2006 Ford E250 Ace Electric work van with the cool wheels, dark tinted glass, ventshades, mudflaps Triton V8, Sirius/XM satelite radio, Onstar Radio, CB, CD, AM, FM, DVD GPS, LoJack, Wireless Internet Access, EZPass, Roof Racks, 5 different types of Ladders, stocked with all the essential toolery and test equipment and roadside disaster emergency needs including a defribulater and dialysis machines to move my kit.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

Dodge Grandcaravan.

Can fit a whole kit with room left over.

Really, I can't imagine being a drummer without a mini-van (unless you go all out on a full size van).
Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM

i used to have a GMC safari which was the bee's freakin' knees. It was wonderful on space casue you could remove the back benches easily and it got about 18 city mpg and maybe 24 highway? i know its not terribly great but you can pick them up (or the exact duplicate the chevy astro) for like 2500 tops
Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

I favour a station wagon personally. I've got an '83 Toyota Corolla that still goes like a dream. Put the back seats down and I can fit my drums and a double bass in(which gives me an excuse to charge my bass player petrol money! hey!).

Whatever you get, it needs to be easy to slide stuff in and out, nothing smaller than a wagon for me.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

I weasel my kit in and out of our singer's 10-year old Corolla sedan. I don't like driving, he likes the company and he also helps lug in and out, which helps augment his gym workouts. Win win.

When he can't give me a lift I weasel the drums in and out of my 20-year old Corolla sedan.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I use my beautiful, squeaky clean, lettered and logo'ed white 2006 Ford E250 Ace Electric work van with the cool wheels, dark tinted glass, ventshades, mudflaps Triton V8, Sirius/XM satelite radio, Onstar Radio, CB, CD, AM, FM, DVD GPS, LoJack, Wireless Internet Access, EZPass, Roof Racks, 5 different types of Ladders, stocked with all the essential toolery and test equipment and roadside disaster emergency needs including a defribulater and dialysis machines to move my kit.
Ha! That's funny. I used to love using one of the work vans to take my kit to rehearsals because it was a Dodge Sprinter (the really tall ugly looking van). I would leave everything set up. Cymbals on stands and all.

When I would get there, everyone would grab a piece and I would be set up in no time.

The downside was that if I were to have gotten in an accident, I could have died a gory "Braveheart" style death. Death by cymbal is not cool.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM

2005 Ford Explorer in MINT condition

it matches the wrap on my drums : )
Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

I owned a PT Cruiser for a few years, was super happy. Hatchback style opening, seats came out, 5-speed 4-banger. Didn't win any races, but mileage was great.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt949 View Post
i used to have a GMC safari which was the bee's freakin' knees. It was wonderful on space casue you could remove the back benches easily and it got about 18 city mpg and maybe 24 highway? i know its not terribly great but you can pick them up (or the exact duplicate the chevy astro) for like 2500 tops
Those Safari & Astro vans are a great gig vehicle you can get a lot of gear in them my bass player has one with awd that is great in the snow.

I have a 2003 monte carlo I can get my whole kit & my wife in there and go anywhere @ 29 mpg.

All I drive are Chevrolet's being from Detroit I don't. consider anything else except GMC,Buick,Cadillac, you get my drift.

Bonzolead
Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 AM

2003 Toyota Camry. 6 piece kit, 6 cymbal stands and other necessary hardware, room for one passenger, 30 MPG.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:35 AM

On the serious side. We had a renovated school bus. We had 6 rows of seats near the front and pulled the rest out. Serious equipment back then. Plenty of space to cary it around.

When I got out of high school and had the 8 piece rogers set, I had a Ford Pinto Wagon and everything fit. No passengers!

Now I am deciding.
I am thinking about making a set of road (flight) cases. I have the Catalina's by Gretsch. The Red ones. They are beautiful. Usually I am not a guy that worries about scratches etc, but I think these drums can get ugly real quick without proper protection. I am hoping to be up to gigging in a few months so I need to start thinking about this now.

Plan on buying a Toyota Tacoma (sorry bonzolead) pickup after the first of the year..
Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
Ha! That's funny. I used to love using one of the work vans to take my kit to rehearsals because it was a Dodge Sprinter (the really tall ugly looking van). I would leave everything set up. Cymbals on stands and all.

When I would get there, everyone would grab a piece and I would be set up in no time.

The downside was that if I were to have gotten in an accident, I could have died a gory "Braveheart" style death. Death by cymbal is not cool.
OMG I can't believe you did that!

You must have to take turns pretty slow!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 AM

Subaru Outback Sport. I don't even have to fold the back seats down. I have a small Gator Bag that goes in first, then the floor tom on top of that. The bass drum lays down and the tom goes on top of that, with the snare between both stacks of drums and the cymbal bag in front. JUST enough room to shut the door. Thank god for 8x12 toms. Any deeper and it would have to go in the front seat.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post

THAT is so awesome.

That's almost as cool as the guys in the 80's who would put their whole rack in the back of semi without breaking down a thing! (that is, the ones who toured arenas and could afford such a thing!)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 AM

Ford Ranger. I'm a pickup truck guy. I can fit my kit and the guitarists gear in it.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

my band has a ford e-150 conversion van that takes my drums to most of my gigs. We have 4 captians chairs, and we can fit the half stack, bass rig, two mains, two monitors, 4 piece drumset (24" kick) hardware case, 4 rubbermaid tubs of merch, fiddle amp, mic stands, guitar, bass, and luggage!

I drive a toyota tacoma (the newer kind) extended cab (not the 4 door though) and I can fit my whole drumset minus hardware in the cab and passenger seat if I have to, and only put my hardware case in the back of the truck. I can lock the case down to the bed if I have to leave it over night. I usually throw the kick in the back so I can take a passenger, and throw it in the front if I have to leave the truck (like to go eat somewhere or something)

I used to have a mazda 3 hatch back, and that was a cool car and you can fold the seats down and fit a whole drumset in the back and still have room for a passenger. It somehow managed to shake the "station wagon" look and still look cool.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM

2006 Mazda 3 Sport. Everything just fits!

I've said some things sober that make no sense when I'm drunk.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

I move my 7 piece DJ Drums kit, rack and everything else with my trusty VW Polo '93. The 14" floortom has to sit in the passenger seat then..

In this picture it's just my 5 piece Rockstar with hardware and stuff. It drives 15 km per liter fuel btw :-).
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Ford Ranger. I'm a pickup truck guy. I can fit my kit and the guitarists gear in it.
What if it rains? wet gear?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM

we have a P.A.guy so we don't have to haul that (thank god)
our Keyboardist has a 2006 Ford Van for all the bands gear
but i load my drums in my 2001 ford taurus
Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Chrysler Town & Country. Back seats removed I fit the whole 6 piece kit, monitor, rack hardware, cymbals. Also the gear sits low so there is no rear view obstacle. Throw a blanket over the gear and with tinted windows you can't see anything. Good, not great gas mileage and a mini-van is cheaper to insure than a truck too.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
I move my 7 piece DJ Drums kit, rack and everything else with my trusty VW Polo '93. The 14" floortom has to sit in the passenger seat then..

In this picture it's just my 5 piece Rockstar with hardware and stuff. It drives 15 km per liter fuel btw :-).
A proper car! Oh yes indeed!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What if it rains? wet gear?
No wet gear here, Larry. Helping to haul for the guitarist is only a 'sometimes" thing but nonetheless I'm prepared with tarps and tiedowns for him and myself. In addition to that my bags (by Protection Racket) are waterproof, so double protection for my drums and hardware. I leave nothing to chance and it's not much extra work at all.

P.S. Unfortunately we haven't been getting much rain here in So Cal lately. I hope that changes this year.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 PM

2003 Fiat Punto gets all my gear in with just about enough room to spare...does anyone else always worry about their suspension when the hardware case goes in?...Then it takes me to work and back 5 days a week. Poor little thing.

Thinking about buying a cheap vauxhall astra van.