DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post

GWTW still at number one is amazing.

Now there's an award winning plot, if there ever was. I think the Wizard of Oz had a more intricate plot than GWTW.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Sorry, but i just don't buy the whole "adjusted for inflation" argument. First of all, i have seen all of those movies, GWTW, star wars, Titanic. Not to take away from any of those, because they're all great. Avatar was IMO an awesome flick. What's wrong with turning the brain off for 3 hours and just sitting back and enjoying a movie? All of these yahoo trolls who claim they know what a "great movie" is and that Avatar is not one is just hogwash. If you think you can do better than James Cameron, by all means, go make a movie and I'll buy a ticket. I'm going to think outside the box for just a minute and throw this out there: It's HARDER to make "the highest grossing film of all time" these days even accounting for inflation. They said no one would EVER beat Titanic's tally. Why? Because movies get released to DVD 120 days after their theatrical run begins. It's getting faster as the years go by. There is no way you can tell me the number of fans who saw Gone with the Wind or Star Wars or Titanic by dividing the adjusted mean ticket price into the historical world wide gross because nobody knows haw many times fans watched them during their theatrical release. I can guarantee that the most hardcore Avatar Fanboi has only seen it a fraction of the number of times that uber-Star Wars geeks saw Star Wars or a fraction of the number of times that Leonardo groupies watched Titanic. I remember watching the Star Wars documentaries with people interviewed who had seen it 17 times, 33 times, 58 times and counting, etc etc. Realistically, do you think anyone is going to watch Avatar in theaters more than 2-3 times? It's not gonna happen. The biggest hardcore fan is going to run out and snap up the Blue-ray as soon as it's released, say May 1st or so? Come on, people, the entire world is in a recession, who has money to waste to watch Avatar more than 3 times in theaters? That's what impresses the hell out of me about this latest box office hit. Naysayers can adjust for inflation all they want, I'm thinking there's a good chance that Avatar already IS the most popular movie of all time. If you want to compare apples to apples, add the video/ dvd/ blue-ray sales to theatrical takes and then we'll see which one is truly box office champ.

Last edited by diosdude; 02-06-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga
Face it, you can whine, and complain, and hate the movie all you want. But you're the minority. A tiny minority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Point well made. I totally agree.
Point well made? Since when is criticism "whining?" Not to mention it's a rather contradictory point to make in a post that heavily criticizes Star Wars.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
Point well made? Since when is criticism "whining?" Not to mention it's a rather contradictory point to make in a post that heavily criticizes Star Wars.
Yeah, point well made. There's a few people whining about the plot to this movie. The fact remains, none of these type of movies have good plots, including Stars War, Titanic, Indiana Jones, etc. They don't need good plots, either. They are made for pure entertainment, that's all. If you don't like the plot, don't go see it, but you are still a very very small minority.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM

It was pretty good, but not the best movie. Actors were kind of cliche.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM

great visuals, very thin story line, would appeal to the gameboy generation but I wasn't impressed with it as a film
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
And I'm sorry, but you can only fool so many people into loving an overall sub-par movie.
You know what's the most popular food in the world? Pizza.
What's the most popular music band? The Red Hot Chilly Peppers.

If you say that Avatar is on par with those two things, I'll agree. But popularity doesn't really equal quality.

I enjoyed the film. A bit less than I enjoy some good pizza, but a lot more than I enjoy a Red Hot Chilly Peppers album. It's all that such a film should be, very well done.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
You know what's the most popular food in the world? Pizza.
What's the most popular music band? The Red Hot Chilly Peppers.

If you say that Avatar is on par with those two things, I'll agree. But popularity doesn't really equal quality.

I enjoyed the film. A bit less than I enjoy some good pizza, but a lot more than I enjoy a Red Hot Chilly Peppers album. It's all that such a film should be, very well done.
The Red Hot chili peppers are the most popular music band? I do believe there are more popular bands.