DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Default x hats with pedal or without?

so im really interested in getting an x hat stand and obivously some hi hats to go with it
but i was wondering

is getting one with a pedal worth it??

how often do you use the pedal?

as the price difference is quite big and dont want to spend it if its only going to be used on rare occasions

i think that ill groove on it quite a lot but im not sure :D

also, any suggestions on some models of ones to get??

with/without the pedal just show all so i can scower the web for the cheaper price :D

Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: x hats with pedal or without?

It really depends on how you are going to use it. If it is just for a specific sound like closes while playing double base then non pedal is fine. If you plane on using it as a true second set of hats then you have to have a pedal.

Just think it through and figure out what you are going to really be doing with it.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick G. View Post
so im really interested in getting an x hat stand and obivously some hi hats to go with it
but i was wondering

as the price difference is quite big and dont want to spend it if its only going to be used on rare occasions

with/without the pedal just show all so i can scower the web for the cheaper price :D

Thanks
I had one with pedal once, but used it so rare that I sold it and got an x-hat. Now im at my 2nd x-hat (chh-930) witch is more versatile regarding to placement and weight compared to the chh-920:

Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
but i was wondering

Thanks
Nick, just to get you on the right path: X-hats are the auxiliary hi-hat holders with no pedals. They don't move unless you move them with your hand. X-hat holders range from about $30 to $100.

Remote hi-hats have a pedal and a cable linkage to make them work just like a straight hi-hat stand (although many people claim there is a slight lag). They accordingly cost more: 100-300 bucks.

As far as X-hats: I own a Gibraltar x-hat and I've been very happy with it, no issues.
http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...ctId=900267013
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Nick, just to get you on the right path: X-hats are the auxiliary hi-hat holders with no pedals. They don't move unless you move them with your hand. X-hat holders range from about $30 to $100.

Remote hi-hats have a pedal and a cable linkage to make them work just like a straight hi-hat stand (although many people claim there is a slight lag). They accordingly cost more: 100-300 bucks.

As far as X-hats: I own a Gibraltar x-hat and I've been very happy with it, no issues.
http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...ctId=900267013
ah ok, i had a feeling they were called something different :D

thanks for showing me that one, it looks pretty good

ive found a remote one on ebay that comes from a no name brand which just makes me slightly wary as its only 80
this one

maybe some could tell me how good it looks compared to bigger name ones?

also, even if i didnt use the pedal, would i still be able to do everything an x hat can do except perhaps it wouldnt have quite the same positioning?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
ah ok, i had a feeling they were called something different :D

thanks for showing me that one, it looks pretty good

ive found a remote one on ebay that comes from a no name brand which just makes me slightly wary as its only 80
this one

maybe some could tell me how good it looks compared to bigger name ones?
It looks better than some of the direct-to-eBay trash I've seen, but honestly, it's still a no-name brand. Nobody you know is going to have tried it, and I don't trust "guarantees" on eBay. You are far better off trying a name brand, then looking for the same model used.

Quote:
also, even if i didnt use the pedal, would i still be able to do everything an x hat can do except perhaps it wouldnt have quite the same positioning?
It's the other way around. You can do more with a remote hat than an x-hat. Think of it as a normal hi-hat stand, just the top can go anywhere (within reach of the cable). Usually remote hats come with a drop-clutch on them, so you can get instant slosh hats for double-bass playing. But the X-hats stay in one position unless you open or close them further with your hands.

I really suggest you go to a drum shop that stocks both remote hats and x-hats so you can see the difference, because I'm thinking that my explanations are not helping you to visualize the differences.