DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Rebel

Default Scott Rockenfield

The first time I heard Queensryche drummer - Scott Rockenfield - playing, I was impressed with his style, ride patterns and hi-hat work, in example on the song "Before The Storm". I think is fair, to bring his work up to the forum.

Comments? thanks fellows.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Scott Rockenfield

I love his playing on Operation Mindcrime, that whole album is amazing
Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 AM

I'd definitely have to agree with you! He doesn't get nearly as much accolades as he deserves! I've seen Queensryche about 3 times and every time he just amazes me with his skill and technique!
Good call on this one!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Rebel

It's important to analyze and highlight every drummer's style, and their contribution to the drumming world. Sometimes the trend is towards the best, the famed, the speedest, the showest, the technical drummers - leaving left behind or to one side, humble drummers with an whole lot to show!

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

When I was 20, my goal in life was to BE Scott Rockenfield.

I've always loved the way he found the exact 1/2 way point between over the top Neil Peart and pounding AC/DC style.

He always seemed to know when to throw in the chops, and when to simplify and just drive the band with 2 & 4.

Although on the last few albums, he's gotten away from trying to come up interesting parts.

A few years ago, I went to an autograph signing, and brought a poster of him with the huge Tama kit (from the Empire era), and he said he didn't even have a copy of that poster! He was impressed I not only had one, but had kept it all these years.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Rebel

Whoa! very interesting - thanks - for being open and to share your life experience. Did you achieve that goal?

The Warning, Operation Mindcrime, Empire are amazing albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
When I was 20, my goal in life was to BE Scott Rockenfield.

I've always loved the way he found the exact 1/2 way point between over the top Neil Peart and pounding AC/DC style.

He always seemed to know when to throw in the chops, and when to simplify and just drive the band with 2 & 4.

Although on the last few albums, he's gotten away from trying to come up interesting parts.

A few years ago, I went to an autograph signing, and brought a poster of him with the huge Tama kit (from the Empire era), and he said he didn't even have a copy of that poster! He was impressed I not only had one, but had kept it all these years.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Whoa! very interesting - thanks - for being open and to share your life experience. Did you achieve that goal?

The Warning, Operation Mindcrime, Empire are amazing albums.
Well, not in playing a financially successful band, or in band that had all the great elements of Queensryche (although not for a lack of trying).

But I've always kept in mind remembering to keep a driving 2 & 4, even when (if) using chops. And now I'm (trying) to write my own material, which is incorporating some of the elements of what I loved about those albums. The Warning, Rage for Order, Operation Mindcrime, Empire, & Promised Land.