DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Default Nitro/hydraulic throne longevity

I got a Roc N Soc throne for xmas. It's the spindle variety, but I was kind of hoping for a Nitro. However, the guy at the drum shop told my wife that they had issues staying charged and might not last a year.

Is this true? Anyone with one of these things have issues?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Nitro/hydraulic throne longevity

I bought a non- nitro for that reason- the more complicated the more chance of a problem.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Pioneer Member

I've had mine for over 4 years with no problem. My only regret is not getting the tripod version. The "Lunar" model that I have has five feet in a desk chair base configuration. It's less portable than the collapsible tripod version and doesn't like the occasional uneven stage floor.

All in all though, a very comfy throne. You will love it.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 AM

Lately I have noticed that my nitro roc n soc rises all the way back up when not in use. Still a good throne though.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Gold Member

I've had one for about a year and love it, it's holding up just fine. That bit of spring is great for your back, I don't think I could ever go back!
billbachman.net
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I got a Roc N Soc throne for xmas. It's the spindle variety, but I was kind of hoping for a Nitro. However, the guy at the drum shop told my wife that they had issues staying charged and might not last a year.

I have owned mine for about five years now and have not had any issues with the gas cylinder. I also don't have any issues with the seat rising to full height after getting up (there is a little rise, but is sorts itself out when I sit back down). I concur with the comment about the Lunar base, that is kind of a pain having to transport it in one piece. But overall, I love it; it's solved a number of posture and back issues I had playing from a traditional non-hydraulic round throne. Hope you enjoy yours.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Pioneer Member

I have a hydraulic throne that's 24 years old and still going strong. It's not made by roc n soc, matter of fact I don't even remember who the manufacturer is but I've had ZERO problems with it. Hydraulic bases are easier on the back then screw drives ;-) Out of curiosity did the guy have a nitro in stock? If not might have been why he pushed your wife to the screw base
Old 12-26-2009, 07:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

My RocNSoc tractor seat tripod based nitro failed on me midsong, it was maybe 3 years old. I weighed about 230 at the time. I got a spindle from then on, but I do miss the bounce. I still have it in my studio for the guitarists to sit on, but don't gig w/ it anymore.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
I've had mine for over 4 years with no problem. My only regret is not getting the tripod version. The "Lunar" model that I have has five feet in a desk chair base configuration. It's less portable than the collapsible tripod version and doesn't like the occasional uneven stage floor.
I remember in what you would call "Shop class" in "high school" the teacher was telling us about the way having 3 legs is the best idea because it's impossible to have a leg that is floating above the floor. He's a bit of a prat though.

Interestingly i also got a roc n soc throne with a screw in stand 4 chrimbo too lol. I wanted the nitro base but they didn't have one in stock. In fact they didn't have much in stock really. I'm just wondering what people mean by a nitro base being better on your back? How so?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

I say your weight has an effect on the pressure in the cylinder and hence the stress on the seal. If you weigh a buck 45 you can expect the seal to last longer than if you weigh 250.

There is bounce/compression going on, the seal is getting stressed every time you bounce. I wouldn't spend the money, sooner or later the seal is going to fail.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I say your weight has an effect on the pressure in the cylinder and hence the stress on the seal. If you weigh a buck 45 you can expect the seal to last longer than if you weigh 250.
45 pounds you mean? How many people weigh that little? or have that little mass should i say.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
45 pounds you mean? How many people weigh that little? or have that little mass should i say.

Buck 45 is a street wise way of saying 145.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I remember in what you would call "Shop class" in "high school" the teacher was telling us about the way having 3 legs is the best idea because it's impossible to have a leg that is floating above the floor. He's a bit of a prat though.

Interestingly i also got a roc n soc throne with a screw in stand 4 chrimbo too lol. I wanted the nitro base but they didn't have one in stock. In fact they didn't have much in stock really. I'm just wondering what people mean by a nitro base being better on your back? How so?

The gas or nitro thrones have a bounce/give to them so it's not as rigid so it helps relieve pressure on your back that you can get bouncing around on a solid screw base that has no give to it..
Old 12-27-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:

That guy is an idiot. Nitrogen in a sealed chamber is pressurized, not "charged," so it can't lose a charge and certainly doesn't lose pressure with use. Breaking it is incredible hard. Long term pressure of a person sitting on it wouldn't do it. You would need to rapidly apply a lot more weight than the average person to blow the shock. I've had one for 3 years and it works just as well now as the day I bought it.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
The gas or nitro thrones have a bounce/give to them so it's not as rigid so it helps relieve pressure on your back that you can get bouncing around on a solid screw base that has no give to it..
I have bulging discs and arthritis in my lower back and have never had a problem with a spindle throne. The only thing you need is a good seat.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymetrix1618 View Post
I have bulging discs and arthritis in my lower back and have never had a problem with a spindle throne. The only thing you need is a good seat.

I notice a difference in feel after playing for an hour on a Roc N Soc spindle throne we have at church and my hydraulic throne at home. The spindle one my back feels fatigue quicker. Both have the identical roc n soc motorcycle style seat.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
I notice a difference in feel after playing for an hour on a Roc N Soc spindle throne we have at church and my hydraulic throne at home. The spindle one my back feels fatigue quicker. Both have the identical roc n soc motorcycle style seat.
That's weird, because I've never felt that. I don't get fatigue as much as I get pain, so I'm judging it differently.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to do an exchange and get the Nitro.

I adjust my seat up and down regularly, never leaving it in one spot too long, which is why I was thinking Nitro. I also liked the "bounce" the one time I played a gig on one.
Quote:
There is bounce/compression going on, the seal is getting stressed every time you bounce. I wouldn't spend the money, sooner or later the seal is going to fail.
I can see this happening and accept the risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My RocNSoc tractor seat tripod based nitro failed on me midsong, it was maybe 3 years old.
If it does fail, I hope to avoid this scenario!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM

Don't worry. He has no idea what he's talking about. Gas compression shocks are built to last. In order for a chamber to be pressurized it has to be airtight, so the only way to break it is to damage the metal chamber. That takes a lot of weight in one burst, not a human's weight over time.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to do an exchange and get the Nitro.

I adjust my seat up and down regularly, never leaving it in one spot too long, which is why I was thinking Nitro. I also liked the "bounce" the one time I played a gig on one.
I can see this happening and accept the risk.
If it does fail, I hope to avoid this scenario!
Accept the risk, its going to fail one day and you'll be left with a practically useless throne,
I've seen many.

The more you use it, the more you increase the chance of failure, its the nature of the design.

I've yet to see an older, well used hydraulic throne working at an acceptable efficiency rate, they're all either dogged out, frozen, or completely dead, its just a matter of time.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, tell you what Les. I'm going to pay $150 to get you the data point. I'll let you know as soon as it fails, whenever that might be. I'm curious enough myself to wager it. I also have an assortment of spindle types laying around, so I'll have a backup.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

I've had my Nitro for over a year now no problems whats so ever, I gig about 2 too 3 weekends a month.

The main thing is too make sure the bolts that hold the hyd. shock are tight & secure if they get loose that will cause the throne too rise unexpectedly.

I love my Roc-N-Soc "Nitro" wished I would've got it years ago.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Accept the risk, its going to fail one day and you'll be left with a practically useless throne,
I've seen many.

The more you use it, the more you increase the chance of failure, its the nature of the design.

I've yet to see an older, well used hydraulic throne working at an acceptable efficiency rate, they're all either dogged out, frozen, or completely dead, its just a matter of time.
Give me proof. You can't backup a point that doesn't exist. If you had any understanding of the simple mechanics of gas springs you would see the logical fallacy in your argument. Would gas springs be used in the aerospace and auto industry if they failed constantly?

Guess what's in your car door? A gas spring.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I don't know if there's a valve or a seal or what but mine failed after about 3.5 years. It still goes up, but goes down really slowly when you sit on it.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I don't know if there's a valve or a seal or what but mine failed after about 3.5 years. It still goes up, but goes down really slowly when you sit on it.
That sounds more like a problem with the lever (or lock, whatever it's called) than the spring.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Even if they had to be replaced every couple of years it's still worth it in my book. Every time i sit at someone else's drum without the shock absorbing effect I'm a bit sad.
billbachman.net
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Same here. Although the bounce doesn't make a difference to me, the convenience of a gas shock over a spindle would be worth a new throne annually. Mine is three years old now and other than some dust is exactly like I bought it. For anyone that's owned a car for over five years, have you ever had to replace the gas springs in your doors? I'm guessing nobody here has had to replace one. I have no clue how someone could be stupid enough to believe these springs aren't durable. Is it ignorance or a poor understanding of technology that causes this?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Same here. Although the bounce doesn't make a difference to me, the convenience of a gas shock over a spindle would be worth a new throne annually. Mine is three years old now and other than some dust is exactly like I bought it. For anyone that's owned a car for over five years, have you ever had to replace the gas springs in your doors? I'm guessing nobody here has had to replace one. I have no clue how someone could be stupid enough to believe these springs aren't durable. Is it ignorance or a poor understanding of technology that causes this?
Its pretty small minded to compare a strut on a car door to a drum throne. A car door gets opened/closed and is locked into position, Its not in an unlocked position getting constantly stressed while the car is bouncing down the road. Would make more sense to compare a throne to a cars suspension struts, which I replace every 50K... b/c they wear from motion.

A drum throne is always getting worked. The more you use a hydraulic throne, the quicker it will wear and fail. If you expect to buy a new throne every year, not a problem. A spindle throne could be designed with a bounce.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Its pretty small minded to compare a strut on a car door to a drum throne...

... A spindle throne could be designed with a bounce.
This argument is silly. I don't think anybody is trying to pick on you Les, but struts don't have anything to do with this conversation. A shock absorber is used to dampen leaf springs on a car. The gas shock on a Roc n Soc throne works the same way. A strut is used to dampen coil springs on a car (and is mounted around the coil springs and is much more complicated) and this throne is not configured this way.

Quote:
I agree that the cost versus benefit to a $150 throne is different for everyone. I love my Roc n Soc so much that if it busted every couple of years, I'd just repair it or replace it. Maybe others look at this as a once in a lifetime purchase.

It's almost like you guys like to find points to disagree on and then make feisty comments to each other.

Lighten up guys.