DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-23-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Aaron Gillespie

I'm really hopin' at some point Aaron Gillespie (underOATH, The Almost) gets on to this site. I think he is a great drummer and deserves alot of credit, he's basically my hero. So he's on my wishlist, as well as Josh Eppard (Coheed & Cambria, Weerd Science, previously of (3))
Old 12-23-2005, 02:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Aaron Gillespie

I think Josh Eppard is far more deserving of a spot on the site than Aaron Gillespie. Out of all the countless clone screamo/hardcore/metalcore/whatever bands, he at least has an identifiable style and sound.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero
I think Josh Eppard is far more deserving of a spot on the site than Aaron Gillespie. Out of all the countless clone screamo/hardcore/metalcore/whatever bands, he at least has an identifiable style and sound.
That's not true. Coheed's drummer is better then aarons current drumming, but no way in hell is he better then aarons drumming in the (death metal) underOATH.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Default Aaron Gillespie

"Cries Of The Past", and "Act Of Depression". Two cd's by underOATH that to me, have great drumming. The question that hits me every time i hear their new garbage is. "what happened to Aaron Gillespie's drumming? I don't know if anyone in these forums listens to old underOATH, but for those who have, what do you think of death metal underOATH's drumming.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Old underOATH

What the........... anybody knows what's he talking about. ? cuz i aint
And this is not the place to talk about such things.. whatever they are
Old 01-12-2006, 10:00 PM

underoath used to be a death metal band. Their vocalist, guitarist, and bassist left the band after their record "The Changing Of Times", and since then his drumming has sucked. My post is asking what people think of old underoath's drumming.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Drums
What the........... anybody knows what's he talking about. ? cuz i aint
And this is not the place to talk about such things.. whatever they are
i do believe this is a drumming site, and this forum is called "drummers". Hmm, i do believe i'm talking about the drummer Aaron Gillespie. So i do believe this is the place to talk about this topic.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:27 AM

Default Aaron Gillispie

All you lovers of good drumming, you have to realize that Aaron, the drummer of UnderOath, has very high skill. He is the drummer I wish to emulate, plus he sings whille drumming. He was alot better on UO's old CD's but his skill is not lessened on thier newest CD, They're Only Chasing Safety. He is one drummer who gets no credit.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Aaron Gillispie

Gillespie is indeed a great drummer and as an added bonus, a GREAT singer. I don't usually listen to much "hardcore" music, but Underoath is one of the few bands I can actually get into. I saw him live at Warped Tour this summer and he was impressive. Very controlled and methodic with loads of technique. His kit also sounds killer. He's so good, I won't even hold the fact that he uses Meinl cymbals against him! (just kidding Meinl lovers)...

cheers.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:26 AM

I think he is still a great drummer. I met him last night backstage at his concert and he is super nice guy too.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 AM

hes like the best drummer around.............thats my genius opinion........
Old 05-25-2006, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cries Of The Past
i do believe this is a drumming site, and this forum is called "drummers". Hmm, i do believe i'm talking about the drummer Aaron Gillespie. So i do believe this is the place to talk about this topic.
I do believe you're acting a bit snobby.He was only asking a question.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Aaron Gillespie

What do you guys think of him? Good? Does he overplay,etc?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: UNDEROATH DRUMMER?

i went to warped tour and UnderOath was there, i liked their drummer.. his kit sounded really good.. and he has decient chops, i dont know what their cd sounds like or what the plays in the studio but live he sounded good from what i remember.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:19 AM

I think he's a pretty good drummer. He's not a great drummer, but he's not a bad one. He plays the style of music well and i wouldn't say that he overplays much. He just does his job and does it well. Just a solid drummer.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:14 AM

Yeah. On their new cd, some of his riffs sound like mini drum solos.... but somehow it fits the music...
Old 07-04-2006, 05:01 AM

i am a skinhead/punk person but i like the way alot or hardcore drummers play. hes one of the top hardcore drummers out there.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:30 AM

He reminds me of TB when he plays because he overplays a lot, so I thought it would be interesting to see what people think.

If you didn't know already, UnderOATH is a Screamo/Post-Hardcore/Rock band who recently have released their new cd which has thrown them huge into the "music business."

Check out their music at www.myspace.com/underoath

he sings backup vocals too....

Last edited by DWDrummer; 07-04-2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:57 PM

Maybe it's just because I'm not a big hardcore fan, but I think he's overrated by a lot of drummers. People obsess over him at another drumming forum I visit, but I honestly never heard anything too amazing being played by him.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:41 AM

saw him last night at warped tour 06 in san diego...... very good chops....hits reallllllly hard
Old 07-08-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayleneSDisaster
hes like the best drummer around.............thats my genius opinion........
Back to Bernhard's example to race car driving... Aaron would be laps behind the pace car...

he is a solid drummer, very good, but not 'the" best around
Old 07-28-2006, 06:35 PM

Well if all of you people would listen to Underoath's new cd, which has alot better drumming, and acctually a doulbe bass then you would see that hes goo, not amazing by any standards but good and he sings amazing
Old 10-20-2006, 07:03 PM

I'm 20 i drum since i'm 4, I listen to all the styles and like to criticise the good and the bad in each styles i've had my crush on certan styles like punk, classic rock or metal.Now I listen to everything at a same level and judge, My top drummer and principal influence is Bonham and then Aaron Gillespie Since define the great line.I saw them live in Montreal.And this guy just reach me, it's totally my way of drumming too.And now he's not overplaying like in old Underoath album and not just taking it easy like chasing safety, he had finally matured and he's ready to be on drummerworld i guess,he will be overrated to some eyes till he'll get on here.

David LEDOUX, Montreal
Old 11-05-2006, 02:49 AM

I believe Aaron is amazing on drums, he proves he is diverse with the changes in style from underOATH. What we have to remember is what makes a good drummer is that he makes a good song, good.

When you listen to any song on Define the Great Line, his drumming is flawless, it fits the song perfectly in every way! I think he is amazing and I draw many influences from him in my playing.

He really deserves to be on the Drummerworld site, his drumming is simple but technical at the same time. It's not impossible, but at the same time it's not walking in the park.

Damon
Old 11-06-2006, 05:14 AM

Totally agree with the last post a good drummer is not a superstar in a band Aaron is not solist he just fits his playing perfecly to make Underoath sounds homogene.I think that to put him on drummerworld is fair and then we'll stop pushing on him so that he seems to be overrated, that's not the case he just deserve to be there.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:56 AM

I don't know. I love Aaron's style. He hit's hard, but still has a subtle side. UNDEROATH is a very good band, and their music isn't that easy to drum to. But Aaron does it perfectly. He fits in runs and "mini solos" like it's just a walk in the park.. And, the fact that for Define The Great Line he used all ride cymbals, you gotta admit, it's pretty clever. In my opinion, it's brilliant. He's loud, fast, and technical. One of the better drummers of hardcore music today.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:15 PM

all i have to say is he is a beast just like joey jordison, you guys my not like the music they play but they are very gifted and good at what they do.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 PM

Aaron is a great talent for defining Tim's ryffs and the rythmic of the band. I can't listen to any Hardcor music as I listen to Underoath. My goal is to steal hardcore music from metal purist I hate to see Hardcore associated with deat metal. I love music and I admire first a music that goes deep, with an amazing mix, brilliant arrangmenet ideas. And Underoath is one of the few that does it and they do it best. I personnaly thin that the old underoath stuff as great drumming but I gave credit to the present Aaron's work I don't care about the style and I hate purist because it'anti-creation. Being limited to one style is the worst things in terms of art and creatining and innovating. Underoath is now very professional and innovative. It sound way better than other hard band and even if they are not actually the most violent trashy band, it's sound a lot more powerful and intense because they know espescially aaron, how to arrange there song to be intense deep in emotions and it gives a lot of value to the hard parts. The whole Define the great album is a love to listen from first to last song. Each song have a lot of ideas and doesn't sound the same, great rythmics and is way higher in a professional level than any other band and there reaching something that the other bands can't reach. They're not metal purist so they are able to make hardcore music accessible to a wider audience. Aaron singing is perfect the last album mix is great.Everybody knows how miraculous it is for them to turn an diying band after changing of times to a top selling band, they did chasing safety the way it is to get back on track and make themselves a public they've done it cheesy and easy to listen with not to radical lyrics. And them when we know them and get used to who they're...they release they're finest purest stuff that define who they really are and what they like. I've been listenning to define the great line for a year now and can't stop at first I was saying it's a great album but not ground breaking. But as I saw them in Irvine, California last month. Now I say that aaron is the best modern hardcore drummer, not only because I know he can play very technically but that he's mature and is very taleneted in MUSIC before druming and that open a lot of door to a better and understandable drumming within a band and make what underoath is nowaday.Define the great line is now to be groundbreaking. I hope they will go very far. and I hope to meet this guy.

-peace-

David, Montreal.Qc
Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 AM

Hey guys it's Aaron. I did a search on myself and saw this thread. I thought I should drop in. =D
Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Silver Member

Don't mean to be mean but we gotta wait until Bernhard gives the "ok" that it really is you but in the meantime: "Hey, man, what's up?"

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 06-28-2007, 10:10 PM

Hey nothin much. It is really me. How would he figure out if it is me anyway?... it sounds a little stalker like...

Last edited by AaronGillespie; 07-01-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Hey man, I'm a HUGE fan! (assuming it is really you) What stage and what time are you guys playing on at warped tour, both UnderOath and The Almost? I'll be there in Camden, NJ on august 3rd! Can't wait to see you!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGillespie View Post
Hey nothin much. It is really me. How would he figure out if it is me anyway?... it sounds a little stalker like...
Idk. we have DW pro drummers (Stanton Moore, Billy Ward, "Bermuda" Schwartz, to name a few) that somehow become official. Bernhard is very mysterious. :D

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
this guy has no fricken idea what he is talking about. you need to sit down and actually
listen to underoath's music. aaron gillespie is one of the best drummers i know
and definitely THE best drummer his age, not to mention josh also has 4 years more experience than aaron. i just now listened to a bunch of coheed and combria before posting this so i can make my argument. Josh eppard is good, but he is (like every one who calls themself a drummer) very foundational, very basic. technical with no flow or movement to the mood. aaron plays with the music, unlike coheed to plays to the beat. aaron has his own STYLE of drummer that is awesome, which Eppard sounds just like everyone else. anyone can play (double kick, snare, double kick, snare)
as much as i think he was good in the more metal version of underoath he is definitely better now and has matured his own distict drummer style. so who's better?? Aaron Gillespie all the way
Old 12-01-2009, 04:18 AM

I just saw Aaron Play in Tampa last wednesday, his style is pretty unique. Definatly not the best drummer out there but pretty damn creative. And to my surprise he is actually crazy with his feet, he did this little double bass part that was nuts in their intro. He is by far my biggest inspiration
Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM

aaron gillespie is deserving of making it on this site. i think most drummers that have a record label should; especially so they can make themselfs known. aaron really is a great drummer and i think one of the reasons why he doesn't do much double kick anymore is because he SSSSIIINNNNGGGGSSS!!!!! I drum and sing at the same time in my band and it is really hard to keep a good tone control live. we've all heard him do great stuff in his earlier cds and talent doesn't just go away (especially if you're in a touring band). he has also proved himself a talented musician at other instruments such as: vocals, drums, guitar, bass, and piano. listen to the cd Southern Weather by The Almost. He recorded EVERY instrument. Which takes not only a lot of talent to play a bunch of instruments; but having to compose a song completely by himself. i also think that drummerworld would get a bunch more publicity if aaron was on. Underoath was one of the headlining bands at Warped Tour!! i just think it would make sense to have aaron on this site.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 AM

You all know that aaron is not only the drummer for underOATH but also the clean vocalist right? Of couse he cant write extremely difficult face melting parts because he has to be able to sing to it live. Wich might I add,is a very difficult thing to do. Aaron is a great drummer.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 AM

I can't believe this guy was in Modern Drummer. He has the worst technique of any professional drummer I've ever seen. Of course there are people like Barker who break cymbals, but Aaron's horrible technique will eventually end his career in percussion. An important message to everyone here who looks up to this guy: DO NOT PLAY YOUR DRUMS LIKE AARON GILLESPIE. YOU WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR BODY. This guy should not be looked up to, respected, or even given a thread. There's no excuse for playing this badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kVSx...eature=channel

I'm not posting it, but there's a pretty gory video of the temporary damage he's done to his body on Youtube.

Last edited by Polymetrix1618; 12-24-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Josh Eppard was a founding father of the rock music sub-genre we now know as "New Prog" (Alternative Rock with progressive tendencies). He is also a vocalist (check out the old Coheed acoustic videos) and refuses to use a double bass pedal. Composer of the most familiar Coheed piano melodies and hip-hop artist. Not tied down to a single genre, he really is an incredible musician, let alone drummer.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubk View Post
Josh Eppard was a founding father of the rock music sub-genre we now know as "New Prog" (Alternative Rock with progressive tendencies). He is also a vocalist (check out the old Coheed acoustic videos) and refuses to use a double bass pedal. Composer of the most familiar Coheed piano melodies and hip-hop artist. Not tied down to a single genre, he really is an incredible musician, let alone drummer.
Radiohead, the most notable new prog band, has been around a lot longer. Josh isn't a founding father in any way. Where did you hear this?