DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 AM

Default Evans batter and reso questions

What would a good reso head be for Evans G2 (coated) for the toms? And while we're on the subject, I want a head (by evans) that will have a short sustain, so should I stick with buying G2's or go with EC2's coated? And if I get the EC2's, should I go with the sound shaping technology heads? I usually play heavy rock and metal, so definitely a head that won't break anytime soon would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

I used G1 clear or Resonant heads (I'm not sure how different they are...) on my toms, regardless of the batter. For a little more response and a little less decay you could try clear or coated G2s.

For a shorter decay batter, you might try the EC1, although it's a little stiff and lifeless IMO. I think the coated EC2 has a bit more life, a little less than the EC2 clear anyway.

My primary tom batter is the EC2 clear, the original foil version. People seem to like the SST version, I haven't decided for myself yet.

Bermuda
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 AM

I bought EC2s and G1s as my first set of replacements heads about 4 months ago. EC2s are good but I sometimes find myself wanting more resonance for it to cut through 2 guitars and a bass player. I too play metal.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I used G1 clear or Resonant heads (I'm not sure how different they are...) on my toms, regardless of the batter. For a little more response and a little less decay you could try clear or coated G2s.

For a shorter decay batter, you might try the EC1, although it's a little stiff and lifeless IMO. I think the coated EC2 has a bit more life, a little less than the EC2 clear anyway.

My primary tom batter is the EC2 clear, the original foil version. People seem to like the SST version, I haven't decided for myself yet.

Bermuda
Yeah, I think I'll roll with the EC2's coated. But could the resonant head really make a difference as far as decay/overtones?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 AM

The reso head will certainly make a noticeable difference if the drum is mic'd. A thinner reso will vibrate sweeter and wetter, and that adds decay. But acoustically, with the band playing, you - and certainly the audience - will probably not detect it.

A med or heavy reso can make the tom a little louder (more attack) and give you a bit more response, again depending on the tuning. But remember, as heads get thicker they tend to choke easier. But that thuddy attack may be desirable at times.

Every time I tried a heavier reso, I didn't like the sound and always went back to the thinner heads. I finally stopped trying to change something that was working perfectly.

Or as I like to say, if I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Bermuda
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
The reso head will certainly make a noticeable difference if the drum is mic'd. A thinner reso will vibrate sweeter and wetter, and that adds decay. But acoustically, with the band playing, you - and certainly the audience - will probably not detect it.

A med or heavy reso can make the tom a little louder (more attack) and give you a bit more response, again depending on the tuning. But remember, as heads get thicker they tend to choke easier. But that thuddy attack may be desirable at times.

Every time I tried a heavier reso, I didn't like the sound and always went back to the thinner heads. I finally stopped trying to change something that was working perfectly.

Or as I like to say, if I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Bermuda
So for a loud punch, quick decay and a good tone would EC2's over EC's or G1's do the trick?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
So for a loud punch, quick decay and a good tone would EC2's over EC's or G1's do the trick?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
What would a good reso head be for Evans G2 (coated) for the toms? And while we're on the subject, I want a head (by evans) that will have a short sustain, so should I stick with buying G2's or go with EC2's coated? And if I get the EC2's, should I go with the sound shaping technology heads? I usually play heavy rock and metal, so definitely a head that won't break anytime soon would be great. Thanks.
I say go with clear EC2's over EC Resos.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymetrix1618 View Post
I say go with clear EC2's over EC Resos.
I saw a video comparing G1's with EC's and the EC's sounded terrible, almost as if the drum hadn't been tuned, when it was tuned, if that makes sense...
Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
I would try a G2 for the reso. I' hjaven't experimented with the EC Resos, supposedly they're quite good, but 'good' means different things to different people.

Bermuda
Old 12-23-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I would try a G2 for the reso. I' hjaven't experimented with the EC Resos, supposedly they're quite good, but 'good' means different things to different people.

Bermuda
EC2's over G2's? G2's are batter heads though.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Most often, yes. Different head combos yield different sounds. I've seen Pinstripes as resos, but with unfortunate results.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Most often, yes. Different head combos yield different sounds. I've seen Pinstripes as resos, but with unfortunate results.
Hmm, well what would a 2-ply head as a reso usually produce?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Pioneer Member

ON a reso head the thinner the head the less it will vibrate giving a shorter sustain. The thicker the head the more it will ring

Listen to what Bob Gatzen has to say on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ibBol23hs
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
true but in doing research for my own heads recently i came across a youtube video of a guy that runs evans black hydraulics under ebony pinstripes!!!!! and it sounds fat!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
true but in doing research for my own heads recently i came across a youtube video of a guy that runs evans black hydraulics under ebony pinstripes!!!!! and it sounds fat!

I can't see how that combo would have any projection at all unless mic'd or triggered.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

2 ply heads are fine as reso heads.

I used to use Coated Emperors top and bottom, and the sound was fat, solid and resonant. Resonance was NOT a problem with a 2 ply on the bottom, & I got a deeper tone overall because of the Emps being 2 ply, and deeper sounding than an Ambassador.

If you want something single ply, but with a beefier tone, try a G plus coated (frosted) on the bottom, otherwise a G2 will work just fine.

Try one drum first.

Get a couple different heads, and see what you like. That's the only way you're going to know for sure.

These days I use a Coated Ambassador top, and a Smooth White Ambassador bottom.
I like the brighter sound of the Coated Amb, but the SW head is a bit beefier sounding than a Clear, and a little more open than a Coated.
I found the sound I was looking for by trying different bottom heads.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I saw a video comparing G1's with EC's and the EC's sounded terrible, almost as if the drum hadn't been tuned, when it was tuned, if that makes sense...
Have you seen this video? I did the same comparison on my SC Bubinga, but only with G1's and EC's, and the EC Resos sounded a lot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcUBJrtKTg