DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Dipschmidt's Avatar
Dipschmidt Dipschmidt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 208
Default Evans batter and reso questions

What would a good reso head be for Evans G2 (coated) for the toms? And while we're on the subject, I want a head (by evans) that will have a short sustain, so should I stick with buying G2's or go with EC2's coated? And if I get the EC2's, should I go with the sound shaping technology heads? I usually play heavy rock and metal, so definitely a head that won't break anytime soon would be great. Thanks.
__________________
"You only get better by playing." - Buddy Rich
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is online now
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,414
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

I used G1 clear or Resonant heads (I'm not sure how different they are...) on my toms, regardless of the batter. For a little more response and a little less decay you could try clear or coated G2s.

For a shorter decay batter, you might try the EC1, although it's a little stiff and lifeless IMO. I think the coated EC2 has a bit more life, a little less than the EC2 clear anyway.

My primary tom batter is the EC2 clear, the original foil version. People seem to like the SST version, I haven't decided for myself yet.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
HOUSTON 94's Avatar
HOUSTON 94 HOUSTON 94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 185
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

I bought EC2s and G1s as my first set of replacements heads about 4 months ago. EC2s are good but I sometimes find myself wanting more resonance for it to cut through 2 guitars and a bass player. I too play metal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Dipschmidt's Avatar
Dipschmidt Dipschmidt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 208
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I used G1 clear or Resonant heads (I'm not sure how different they are...) on my toms, regardless of the batter. For a little more response and a little less decay you could try clear or coated G2s.

For a shorter decay batter, you might try the EC1, although it's a little stiff and lifeless IMO. I think the coated EC2 has a bit more life, a little less than the EC2 clear anyway.

My primary tom batter is the EC2 clear, the original foil version. People seem to like the SST version, I haven't decided for myself yet.

Bermuda
Yeah, I think I'll roll with the EC2's coated. But could the resonant head really make a difference as far as decay/overtones?
__________________
"You only get better by playing." - Buddy Rich
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is online now
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,414
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

The reso head will certainly make a noticeable difference if the drum is mic'd. A thinner reso will vibrate sweeter and wetter, and that adds decay. But acoustically, with the band playing, you - and certainly the audience - will probably not detect it.

A med or heavy reso can make the tom a little louder (more attack) and give you a bit more response, again depending on the tuning. But remember, as heads get thicker they tend to choke easier. But that thuddy attack may be desirable at times.

Every time I tried a heavier reso, I didn't like the sound and always went back to the thinner heads. I finally stopped trying to change something that was working perfectly.

Or as I like to say, if I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Dipschmidt's Avatar
Dipschmidt Dipschmidt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 208
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The reso head will certainly make a noticeable difference if the drum is mic'd. A thinner reso will vibrate sweeter and wetter, and that adds decay. But acoustically, with the band playing, you - and certainly the audience - will probably not detect it.

A med or heavy reso can make the tom a little louder (more attack) and give you a bit more response, again depending on the tuning. But remember, as heads get thicker they tend to choke easier. But that thuddy attack may be desirable at times.

Every time I tried a heavier reso, I didn't like the sound and always went back to the thinner heads. I finally stopped trying to change something that was working perfectly.

Or as I like to say, if I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Bermuda
So for a loud punch, quick decay and a good tone would EC2's over EC's or G1's do the trick?
__________________
"You only get better by playing." - Buddy Rich
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 AM
sagatebit sagatebit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
So for a loud punch, quick decay and a good tone would EC2's over EC's or G1's do the trick?
The reso head will certainly make a noticeable difference if the drum is mic'd. A thinner reso will vibrate sweeter and wetter, and that adds decay. But acoustically, with the band playing, you - and certainly the audience - will probably not detect it.
______________________
Devis comparatif mutuelle sante |Comparateur mutuelles sante |Comparer comparatif mutuel
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Polymetrix1618's Avatar
Polymetrix1618 Polymetrix1618 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 257
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
What would a good reso head be for Evans G2 (coated) for the toms? And while we're on the subject, I want a head (by evans) that will have a short sustain, so should I stick with buying G2's or go with EC2's coated? And if I get the EC2's, should I go with the sound shaping technology heads? I usually play heavy rock and metal, so definitely a head that won't break anytime soon would be great. Thanks.
I say go with clear EC2's over EC Resos.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Dipschmidt's Avatar
Dipschmidt Dipschmidt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 208
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymetrix1618 View Post
I say go with clear EC2's over EC Resos.
I saw a video comparing G1's with EC's and the EC's sounded terrible, almost as if the drum hadn't been tuned, when it was tuned, if that makes sense...
__________________
"You only get better by playing." - Buddy Rich
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is online now
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,414
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
So for a loud punch, quick decay and a good tone would EC2's over EC's or G1's do the trick?
I would try a G2 for the reso. I' hjaven't experimented with the EC Resos, supposedly they're quite good, but 'good' means different things to different people.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Dipschmidt's Avatar
Dipschmidt Dipschmidt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 208
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I would try a G2 for the reso. I' hjaven't experimented with the EC Resos, supposedly they're quite good, but 'good' means different things to different people.

Bermuda
EC2's over G2's? G2's are batter heads though.
__________________
"You only get better by playing." - Buddy Rich
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is online now
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,414
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
EC2's over G2's? G2's are batter heads though.
Most often, yes. Different head combos yield different sounds. I've seen Pinstripes as resos, but with unfortunate results.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Dipschmidt's Avatar
Dipschmidt Dipschmidt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 208
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Most often, yes. Different head combos yield different sounds. I've seen Pinstripes as resos, but with unfortunate results.
Hmm, well what would a 2-ply head as a reso usually produce?
__________________
"You only get better by playing." - Buddy Rich
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

ON a reso head the thinner the head the less it will vibrate giving a shorter sustain. The thicker the head the more it will ring

Listen to what Bob Gatzen has to say on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ibBol23hs
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Freeze's Avatar
Freeze Freeze is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
EC2's over G2's? G2's are batter heads though.
true but in doing research for my own heads recently i came across a youtube video of a guy that runs evans black hydraulics under ebony pinstripes!!!!! and it sounds fat!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
true but in doing research for my own heads recently i came across a youtube video of a guy that runs evans black hydraulics under ebony pinstripes!!!!! and it sounds fat!

I can't see how that combo would have any projection at all unless mic'd or triggered.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,394
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

2 ply heads are fine as reso heads.

I used to use Coated Emperors top and bottom, and the sound was fat, solid and resonant. Resonance was NOT a problem with a 2 ply on the bottom, & I got a deeper tone overall because of the Emps being 2 ply, and deeper sounding than an Ambassador.

If you want something single ply, but with a beefier tone, try a G plus coated (frosted) on the bottom, otherwise a G2 will work just fine.

Try one drum first.

Get a couple different heads, and see what you like. That's the only way you're going to know for sure.

These days I use a Coated Ambassador top, and a Smooth White Ambassador bottom.
I like the brighter sound of the Coated Amb, but the SW head is a bit beefier sounding than a Clear, and a little more open than a Coated.
I found the sound I was looking for by trying different bottom heads.

Good luck!
__________________
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. Nobody!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Polymetrix1618's Avatar
Polymetrix1618 Polymetrix1618 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 257
Default Re: Evans batter and reso questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
I saw a video comparing G1's with EC's and the EC's sounded terrible, almost as if the drum hadn't been tuned, when it was tuned, if that makes sense...
Have you seen this video? I did the same comparison on my SC Bubinga, but only with G1's and EC's, and the EC Resos sounded a lot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcUBJrtKTg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com