DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Default Evans E-rings

I played with them at a drum shop and they made the toms sound awesome! Can you use these on remo weatherkings and they sound fine (do the same thing they do with evans heads)? and do you use them on snares too? i have 10x5 and 14x5 snare drums, would i use those on both?

Remo or Evans? which do u guys like? ive been using remo weatherkings but it seems like evans has more options and im getting really curious!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Evans E-rings

I honestly think both companies offer about the same thing in their product line just done up a little different. As for the evans rings nothing says you have to only use them on evans heads. Keep in mind they might have made the drums sound cool behind the kit but see what they sound like 10-15 ft away in front. They really kill the resonance and projection of the drum. In my book there are too many choices in heads to need rings like that.

Great thing about this instrument is you can experiment by one or two evans heads and try them if you don't like them switch back to remo.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 PM

I agree with the above.. i only use e-rings in isolated cases where there are few other solutions.

If you like that slightly more fast, and less resonant sound, there are plenty of good heads, like the remo emperor coated (my personal fav for toms) or even remo pinstripes that will allow you to have the same kind of sound, without totally killing any tonality whatsoever.

The only e-ring i have, is on ,my snare, as the mapex m-birch snare rings quite a bit, even when tuned to within an inch of its life. I find the E ring gives me the sound im looking for from this, and if i want a bit more resonance, i can always take it off.

I would look at the evans G2 and remo coated ambassadors on your batter side, and some remo ambassadors or evans G1's on the reso side.. they should give you what your after.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:00 PM

I like using my e-rings when I'm recording. They help make up for how horrible my room is. But when I'm just playing I prefer to keep my heads pretty much un-muffled except maybe a piece or two of moongel on my snare to help keep the wires a bit more under control.