DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Default Fantastic find! Custom Classic Kit Review

Hey,

I'm a bit new around here. I've certainly followed the forum and learned a lot from it - a lot of awesome minds on here. But I thought I'd chip in with a review of a kit that I just picked up online that is a puzzlingly amazing piece of work.

Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid 6-Piece Kit

It's from a virtually non-existant company out of Arkansas called Custom Classic. They're sold - and branded - exclusively through a small music store in Fort Smith called Sigler Music. As near as I can tell, a chief staff member at Sigler Music named Chris Ward decided to start a line of drums that were made by a Chinese drum manufacturing company that makes many of the name-brand "intermediate pro" kits (Gretsch Catalinas, D-Drum Dominions and AMX, etc.). Chris started Custom Classic, engineered the sizes and build, and purchased kits wholesale straight from the factory.

The mentality is simple but smart - with names like Gretsch or Pearl, you're not just paying for the drums, you're paying for catalogs, NAMM booths, stickers, endorsemets, marketing, offices, etc. Custom Classic really doesn't have any of these costs, so the kits are ABSURDLY cheap - I got away with one for a startling low $424.99 out the door, free shipping. Sounds sketch, right? I know. But wait, let's look at the drums before making any judgements.

Custom Classic currently makes 3 kits - the Pro Birch Hybrid 6 ($499.99), the Bro Birch Jazz ($469.99), and the Pro Maple 6 ($599.99). All can only be ordered directly through Sigler. All three are made of 7-ply birch and maple (as the names imply), include a hardware pack and are available in a variety of lacquer finishes. The Hybrid 6 comes in a 6-piece with suprisingly shallow toms and a deeper snare (10x6, 12x7, 14x12, 16x14, 14x6, 22x18). The Jazz kits are the same sizes as the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz series, and the Maples are the same as Catalina Maples. Now, for the price, you'd expect to get some confusing, awful basswood-birch-poplar-who-knows shells with thru-shell L-arm mounts and a blue wrap. But the photos of the Pro Birch Hybrid 6 showed some fantastic features - 6-piece kits with solid birch shells, isolation mounts on the toms, 45 degree bearing edges, gorgeous high-gloss natural finish, virgin kick drum, custom sizes. Not only that, but the hardware packs boast a dual-cam driven hi-hat stand with adjustable tension and a full footboard, a dual-chain-drive kick pedal with quick release, and beefy boom, straight and snare stands. So, I figured - for the price and the (supposed) features, what do I have to lose?

When they arrived, I opened the boxes no really knowing what to expect. I was afraid of finding low-quality crap, but I was wrong. These drums are gorgeous. The finish is a flawless clear lacquer over gorgeous birch. I checked every single bearing edge - no imperfections whatsoever, even on the kick. There was some assembling to be done, but nothing too difficult. The isolation mounts are Gretsch-style, and every bit as functional and durable. The kit has cross-shell lugs (think Tama Rockstar), which you'd think would dampen the shell too much, but it actually has fewer screws going through the shell with standard lugs. They actually tuned easier and agreed more with my DrumDial than a Pearl Masters Maple. Even the heads that came stock were nice, 2-ply generic clears (single coated on the snare) that tuned up well and sounded just fine. The snare strainer was a bit shakey, but nothing tragic.

Now, I work in a Guitar Center - no, it's not your LDS, but there's still some high-end kits in there, so I know what good drums in tune sound like, what features they have, etc. But these Custom Classics sound every bit as good as any kit we have in the shop (and that includes a few DW Collectors, a Starclassic Birch/Bubinga, Yamaha MCAs...). The toms sing, the kick punches, and the snare cracks. I was blown away once I got these guys tuned up - they really do sound phenomenal. These drums could easily be sold in the $1000 - $1500 range, higher if they offered more finishes and a few more sizes/configurations. The hardware is nicer than the photos show, somehow - the kick pedal is fast and responsive, has a fully adjustable cam, and is as durable as any $200 pedal. The hi-hat stand is smooth as butter and fast as lightning, and the tension adjust system is handy and works well. The stands are beefy and fare against mid-level Pearl and Tama (beware the memory locks - mine like to stay permanently tightened, even when the screw is removed). But overall, this kit is simply mind-blowing. The sound, the build, it's all truly pro-quality - for the price of an entry-level piece of junk. The only thing to do now is sand and seal the insides, and it'll be every bit as good as any top-shelf kit out there. (and please note - the video on the Sigler page doesn't even begin to do this kit justice.)

Feelings about outsourcing and economics aside, I have to give props to the folks who make these drums. Even though Custom Classic are from China, they are fantastic, well-made kits that hold their own in every respect to the competition. I also point to Dream Cymbals, another Chinese manufacturer selling top-of-the-line, hand-hammered bronze at ZBT prices. It's a crazy world these days. Even ten years ago, unless you had bank, you got low-quality gear that was extremely limited in its possibility. Nowadays, you can buy extremely "high-end" stuff like interfaces, mics (recording cats - check out Sigler's Studio Mic page for some other awesome finds!), preamps, controllers, guitars and basses, etc. for extremely cheap, all thanks to - you said it - inexpensive Chinese manufacturing. Well I say, hey - it's got the features, why not try it? Worst that can happen is having to send it back.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask or pm me. I have a feeling I'm going to be hanging around a lot here...

Last edited by alexbassguy; 12-18-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Fantastic find! Custom Classic Kit Review

Might this be spam from a first time poster?? I saw these, or a photo of same, and it appears that the tom mounts are screwed to the toms. Time to get off of the bus. How about some photos of these drums in your house and not stock photos. These canot be wortth 1500.00. No way,.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Classic-B...item518a4c1344

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 12-19-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM

I know, i know, it does sound like spam. It's not, I promise I'm a real person. The tom mounts are definitely not screwed to the toms in any fashion - standard Gretsch-style suspension mounts. There is a hollow space in the rubber spacer piece that does look like a screw goes into it (i was worried about that too, actually) but it doesn't. Photos/videos will be up soon, I don't own a camera but a good friend has a very high-end Canon, so we'll be snapping some pics of them soon.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM

He replied! It can't be spam now! I think? Well once you oget pictures up I'll be glad to really look into it.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Hahaha, again, I promise I'm real. myspace.com/experimentinsounds is some old solo stuff I've done, and myspace.com/mountremington is a group I'm working with currently. I know my post sounds like spam, but the kit is just so good, I had to jump on here and review it. Also, there's not a single decent review of the kit anywhere online, at least that I found, so I figured I should write one. Like I said, i'll be getting pics and video up within the next week.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 AM

hehe, i found those custom classics the other day, looked sick, how are the hybrid tom sizes, would they sound good for metal stuff? Also, should i sell my pearl exxxport (lol) and buy custom classics? one more thing i cant find the CC maples on sigler's website, any links?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 AM

The hybrid toms are uber-responsive and resonant, so yes, they'd make amazing metal drums. Pinstripes or EC2s tuned low would make them punch like Chuck Norris. I'm playing mostly indie rock and jazz (the 16x14 floor tom makes a great bop kick, and you've got 3 toms to work with still) and still have the stock heads on them, which are surprisingly nice. I want to put some Fiberskyns on them for a fat vintage sound. Yes, sell your Export and get these - they will not let you down. Custom Classic also has a double kick pedal for $100 - check this thing out! Double Pedal. This is just a double version of the pedal that comes with the kit, which is almost identical to a Pearl Eliminator. Dual-chain drive on both feet, full footboards, quick releases, and 4-sided beaters with adjustable cams. The CC Maples are here: CC Pro Maple I'd ask them what finishes they have before ordering, there's only this one link and they seem to have different pages for each color with the birch kits.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator

That double pedal is the same one sold by Vex drums, www.vexdrums.com. I have one and I can say it is worth 100.00.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

This is the set I saw previously, 7 pieces, that shows the tom mounts screwed to the toms. this is from eBay and from Sigler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Classic-B...item518a4c1344
Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Sorry, but you do sound like a pitchman. Lets tell it like it is, a generic kit at a good price that when set up correctly is going to sound average. Don't try telling us that these sound just as good as DW Customs or Starclassics. Because either a) you are trying to sell these drums to people who don't know better or b) you don't have your DW or Tama kits set up correctly. People on this forum are too smart to get dupped.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:09 PM

It's similar to the Vex pedal, the but vex is single-chain drive whereas the CC is dual. The 7-piece kits are very much different than the Hybrids, those do have thru-shell mounts as well as cheap wrap finishes, not nearly as nice as the Hybirds (not quite sure why they're all similar prices... same shells?). And Wayne, I definitely have the DWs and other kits set up and tuned properly - I kinda do that for a living. These sound just as good if not better, straight up. You guys can think whatever you want about me - these are amazing kits, and I know that. No, I don't work for Sigler, or have any personal stake in people buying them. If you all don't want to believe me and accuse me of being a spammer before I even have a chance to get up any pics, then fine. I'll sit on my gorgeous kit while you all keep spending more money than you need to. To be honest I'm a little offended - someone posts a really positive review of a new product and is instantly called a spammer and accused of trying to "dupe people" into buying it. No one on here knows anything about me, my experience, or what I do. But go ahead and pay a thousand bucks next time you upgrade - more Custom Classics for me!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:16 PM

I will chime in to say I have been contemplating the Classic Birch jazz kit instead of a Gretsch Catalina Jazz. I am encouraged by your post and want to see close up pics and a you tube or sound clip if you are able.
thanks
Tracer
Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Its exactly like the Vex. I own one and it is a double chain. Photo upon request and here is the ad from their website. Are you sure you don't work for them??
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 PM

I'm glad SOMEONE listened and is contemplating one of these. And Gruntersdad, not sure how to explain this to you any further, definitely don't work for them. I work for a large music store, and we don't carry the CCs. Not sure what other proof you need besides the fact that I live about a thousand miles from the only music store in the world that carries them. Per your photo, yes, it is that one - the pic I found on the Vex site was small and looked like a single. Sorry, it probably is the same pedal. I play on a variety of high-end pedals all day long, and the CC feels the best of any I've put my foot on.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 PM
audiotech

At first glance they look like a run of the mill PDP kit.

Dennis
Old 12-20-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbassguy View Post
I'm glad SOMEONE listened and is contemplating one of these. And Gruntersdad, not sure how to explain this to you any further, definitely don't work for them. I work for a large music store, and we don't carry the CCs. Not sure what other proof you need besides the fact that I live about a thousand miles from the only music store in the world that carries them. Per your photo, yes, it is that one - the pic I found on the Vex site was small and looked like a single. Sorry, it probably is the same pedal. I play on a variety of high-end pedals all day long, and the CC feels the best of any I've put my foot on.
Uh, my friend has that vex pedal and its nice, but definately not pro. If youve played pearl eliminators, tama iron cobras, gibraltar avengers etc. you would see that te vex's are no match.

However those drums do sound and look nice, I must admit i am a bit skeptical.

any pictures and or sound files?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

My impression is that they're decent drums for beginers so why not? But I don't believe you when you say that you have no association with the people who manufacture them, this Siglar company, or why would you mention their microphones?

Does Siglar make Dream cymbals? You also mentioned those.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:44 AM

so im definitley gonna get some CC's but one question, I play metal so should i buy

A) 7 piece pro birch
B) 6 piece pro birch hybrid
C) 6 piece pro maple

Please just let me know what is gonna sound better for slipknot/nile/cannibal corpse kinda stuff, this is only gonna be my second kit so i dont know a ton about it.
PS i think that alexbassguy is a real person, and sigler doesnt make dream cymbals. I will be 100% sure if alexbassguy posts pictures of him with kit and possibly a video
Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Administrator

I would avoid the 7 piece due to the tom mount system. Just from the pictures I have seen. I have no hands on.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Decent looking low cost kits. bob da (cheapskate) druma like. The jazz kit caught my eye.
I also like the shallow toms on the hybrid kit. The mount sys, stands, and pedal also looked adequate.
I don't think that you could go to wrong on that deal. Buying a close out sale on a pop brand kit would do you better in the long term. Resale value will be the only downside of the C C..

I currently play a Tama StageStar. Another inexpensive kit that became legend with jazzers
as a beater gig kit that had quality hardware and sounded good.

Looks good from my hood!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Definitely get the Hybrid 6, you'll get the most bang for your buck. Slightly nicer overall features than the Maple, in my opinion. The Natural finish is dopetastic. I found some info on sanding and sealing the insides of the shells with teak oil to improve the sound, which I think I might do at some point, just to fully maximize their potential. That and some Fiberskyns... And Scoreking, thank you. I promise I'm real, I'll get photos and a low-res vid (no decent video recording equipment is currently available to me) next Wednesday.

Last edited by alexbassguy; 12-20-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Pioneer Member

$499 wow!

I guess we haven't hit bottom on this economy yet. Even if you estimate the hardware at $200 bucks, that's a pretty inexpensive drum kit.

Must not be too great to be a Chinese factory worker. It makes you wonder what the manufacturing and then wholesale cost is on this.

Looks like a good value for $499. I thought they sounded decent in the demo video.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Go onto eBay and type in Custom Classic drum. Up will come all these kits, and video.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM

these kits do look nice, but all the ones I've seen on Ebay have the though shell Pearl style mounts, even the ones with the nice lacquer finishes. It makes no sense to me to have all these nice finishes and features, and then go and put those butt ugly through shell mounts on the toms, especially when the basic L-rod and outside bracket shell mounts aren't any more expensive. I guess that's their way of making the things look like they cost.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Hey, OP, welcome. I was seriously considering the CCP brand when looking for a new kit. I ended up buying something better used, but it was definitely in contention. I would have had to go to Sigler and check 'em out, though... couldn't trust the specs for the price, you know what I mean? Especially since the Gretch Catalina was only a little more at the time and you KNOW the quality that you get there.

So you feel like the hardware is strong enough to hold up? That was my primary concern- didn't want the tom mounts failing on me. My other concern (and ultimately one of the reasons I went elsewhere) was the number of lugs. 6 lugs on a 16" tom or on a 22" bass? Without a really high quality hoop, that's going to cause tuning issues.

Anyway, glad to know you dig the kit. You might throw another review up in a couple of months once you get past the honeymoon phase. If it holds up, I might suggest my church pick one up in natural finish.

EDIT: Here's some other stock pics to help the new guy:

Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Hey guys, and thanks dkerwood! There is the 7-piece birch kit as well as the 5-piece, which are the same shells but with the thru-shell mounts, which suck indeed. Avoid these. The Pro Birch Hybrid, Jazz, and Maple all have iso mounts tho, very nice ones at that. The hardware is VERY heavy duty - the tom mounting system is identical to the ones on OCDP Venice, Avalon, and Newport kits. And it's definitely not a 6-lug kick or floor, in fact every shell bigger than 12" on this kit has 8. Check the photo, and count carefully. The Catalina stuff is gorgeous, and this set is 100% on par with them, if not a little nicer. Which Cat/what finish did you get? The Maples in Deep Amber were my second choice, but I decided to take the leap on the CCs (and I'm glad I did, but the Cats still rock, i'd love to get one someday... club jazz in walnut glaze, maybe?) I'm going tomorrow to do photos and a low-res cell phone video if I can. Bear with me here...

drumhammerer: link to Ebay post for the Natural finish... CCs on Ebay
Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 PM

Were you able to inspect the 4 piece Birch jazz kit in person?
What were your impressions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Classic-4...QptZLH_Default
Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

The kits that are on eBay with the through shell mounts must be older stock.
Was this company making drums for a well known drum company at one time?
I get that impression.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Was this company making drums for a well known drum company at one time?
I get that impression.
I get the impression that these are Chinese manufacture, and badged Custom Classic. No doubt, the Chinese are very capable at making hi-end drums. Look at the pro level Peace kits. But for every pro level kit sold, you can figure a thousand or more entry/intermediate level kits are sold. And China carries the ball, making entry/intermediate level kits for almost everyone. LudwigGretschDdrumMapexSonorTamaPearlYamaha, etc. They all farm out their lower tier kits to China. So yeah, they should be pretty good at it, being they're currently manufacturing 80% (rough estimate) of all acoustic drums sold. Practice makes perfect.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

That makes sense harry. They are now marketing direct and retailing at a profit margin that is higher than what they were wholesaling for when they were producing for the major manufacturers.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Hey guys,
The CC kits are definitely Chinese-made, manufactured by a company called Du Acoustic Drum Manufacturing Company in Shanghai (I think that's what it's called, I haven't been able to track down a confirmation on that one). These guys also make all of the Gretsch Catalina and Renown (yes, Renowns are Chinese made with imported NA rock maple, says "Made In China" on the box) stuff, as well as DDrum Dominions, AMXs, and Dios kits, so they defintiely know how to make great sounding drums. I once played a buddy's DDrum Dominion Maple Player kit with clear EC2s that sounded simply ridiculous. Sister factories of unknown name/location make all of the other stuff for Pearl, Yamaha, etc. Everyone does it. The reason it's cheaper here is a much lower overhead for the Custom Classic name - no offices, no adds, no endorsements, no marketing. It makes the kits that much cheaper for the consumer. Harry, you're absolutely right - and what I realized is that there are various tiers of "niceness" of the Chinese-made kits. (entry level like Orbitone, Leigon, etc; "prosumer" kits like Cat Maples, Stage Customs, and relatively high-end kits like OCDP Newports, which are $1600 for a 5-piece shell pack, and Renown Maples, on up to top-of-the-line Peace stuff). The CC kits are in that top bracket. My whole point of this review is to spread the word that a)this is a kit of exceptional quality, especially by Chinese standards and b)it's $500 when it should be $1300. It really goes to show you how much marketing and all that jazz costs. I just put some Vintage Emperors on mine and some Gibraltar 42-strand wires on the snare and got them well-tuned, and wow - even more amazing. I got some cell phone pics (alas, the good Canon went skiing today) and will upload them tomorrow evening. Next phase - finish the insides to complete the dopeness of this set. I'll let you all know how that goes, I can't wait to see what it does to the tone.

Tracer, no, I was not able to try it out in person - I ordered my kit online, it shipped in 4 days from Arkansas to Colorado. However, I want a Jazz kit ASAP - they're the same shells as my kit, which sound gorgeous. My only qualm is the lack of a somewhat natural finish on them. I'd eventually like to try to get a Maple 6 too, based on the quality of mine.

Last edited by alexbassguy; 12-24-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:52 PM

They don't appear to be 'bad" for the price but why not just go with Ddrum Dominions and get the nice black chrome hardware and die cast hoops? Ddrum also has more sizes and configurations available and offers an ash shell too.

Hopefully these inexpensive Chinese model drums will force the big names to start lowering their rediculously high prices.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 PM

About a year and a half ago ago I discovered CC and Sigler when I was researching for a kit. Then they only had the 6 pc CC Maple kit. Living in southern Louisiana we had to evacuate for a hurricane, so I decided to go to Arkansas and visit Sigler and see these kits in person. They had one set up next to a Gretsch Catalina maple. I tried them out side by side, closely examined the Cat and the CC, I'm no expert but they looked exactly the same. The only difference was the tom mounting for the Gretsch was embossed with the company name and the CC was plane. The only reason I didn't buy them was the sparkle finish, I didn't like it and it was all they had. I see they now have expanded the line into Birch and have some nicer finishes. To me IMHO they are a competitive kit. Trouble is they will need to advertise or they will not be taken seriously.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 AM

Interest peaked. : )
Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 AM

I have the Pro Maple 6 kit I bought last October. Their made out of Chinese Maple, 7 ply. The toms are suspension mounts. With a 22" x 18" kick, 10 & 12 mounted toms, 14 & 16 floor tom, an 8 lug maple snare, all with mini lugs, their Custom Classic hardware which is very nice, (they are including their OCC hardware now instead, not as nice but still adequate). It came with a single pedal, which I surprisingly (reading this thread) replaced with a Vex double kick. Which I've used until this X-Mas when Santa brought me a DW8002B double kick. I can say that with the Vex I was satisfied with them for their hardiness and were actually pretty quick. But they in no way compare to the DW's. The Custom Classics on the other hand will stack up against any kit excluding the high end kits like the Renowns and high end DW's. If and when these kits get popular, they will be more readily accepted by the drumming community, and with recognition will come higher costs to the consumer also, just like everything else. Just because they don't say Pearl, or Mapex, or DW doesn't mean that they are junk. Todays technologies allow for better manufacturing and easier quality control which allows for a better product in the end. I think that Cris Ward has hit a home run in his vision to create a quality drum line priced to get people excited enough to give them a chance. Which I did and am glad for. Givin the price for this kit, it is very worth it.
Attached Images

Roc N Soc Lunar Throne
DW 8002B Pedals
Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

i've read this whole thread especially since people say they match up against hi end dw and renown's and since i'm still in the market for a new kit it got me real curious...

i'm by no means an expert and can't really judge until i see them in person but even my novice eyes are telling me these aren't that good... maybe good for their price.... renown good? high end dw good? for 1/10 the price?

something smells awfully fishy here
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator

I haven't seen the drums but my only objection, and one that I wrote to Sigler about, is that they are neither Classic or Custom. They are mass produced and only time will tell if the hardware and the wraps or finish last. I get suspect when I can't get specific info on the materials such as exactly what maple and what filler woods etc. I will wait to see. Dealership exclusivity is another red flag for me for any product.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 PM

gruntersdad... i went and looked at the ebay link you posted where the toms were mounted through the shells and they had a sound clip there.

Didnt sound that great to these ears... Ive heard Sigler music selling the same Mapex M Birch kit I have.. and in their own video, it sounds markedly better than the cheaper CC kit.

I'll suspend my doubts for now... but im not sure thats its the all singing dancing solution some would hope it to be.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrae1l View Post
i've read this whole thread especially since people say they match up against hi end dw and renown's and since i'm still in the market for a new kit it got me real curious...

i'm by no means an expert and can't really judge until i see them in person but even my novice eyes are telling me these aren't that good... maybe good for their price.... renown good? high end dw good? for 1/10 the price?

something smells awfully fishy here
No, I didn't say high end DW's or Renowns azrae1l, this is what I said, "The Custom Classics on the other hand will stack up against any kit EXCLUDING the high end kits like the Renowns and high end DW's". But they do stand up to the Gretch Cats, Mapex maples, DW X7 maples. The CC birch set that recently came available, shrink, looks to be an entry level kit at best, not to be confused with the first line of birches that came out just after the CC maple 6's, came out, they look and sound pretty good. I already stated that the wood is a Chinese Maple in my first post GRUNTERSDAD, the same shells that are in the Cat's, which are produced on the same assembly line as the CC's. I have been bashing them for over a year now with no problems. They still look and sound as well as they did when they were new. You guys have to actually read the posts before formulating a bias. I understand and respect everyones opinion, but don't prejudice just because they aren't a household name. Go on YouTube for some testimonials from other people that have taken a chance. You can't beat this deal for maple shells, lacquer finish, tight hardware on the shells as well as the stands that are also offered for $600.00 bucks shipped to your door. Peace out.
Roc N Soc Lunar Throne
DW 8002B Pedals
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

To be honest, from everything I have seen, it's definitely a shoe-in for the intermediate category. And average intermediate at that. That's only for the 6 piece Maple kit, too. That'd put it squarely against the Gretsch Catalina (yeah yeah, argue with me if you want) and the PDP X7, both of which are $700 to $750 ($900 if you choose the fancy lacquer for the X7). So in essence, you're saving $100 to $150 dollars.

Now, can they sound the same as a more high end kit to the audience, yes, most definitely. There are very few drumsets that a skilled drummer cannot swap heads out and tune them to sound great. Add in a knowledgeable audiotech and you're solid.

To us drummers with more discerning ears and can be picky? Probably not.

Now, is it a great alternative for drummers with cruddy CB and other no-name beginner kits to upgrade to? I'd think so. As I've said before, it's not a bad kit, just a more intermediate one. And for most hobbyists and semi-pro drummers, that's good enough. Hell, one of my favorite bands, Cromwell, is signed to a label and has a drummer that uses a PDP X7 kit. And he has amazing chops.