DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Bad connection when plugging metronome into mixer... Help?

Hey!

I've got a problem. I run a small 4-track mixer that takes care of my in-ear monitor mix. However, when I try to plug my metronome into it, the volume is extremely low. However, if I pull the cable slightly out of the metronome plug, the volume goes up to an acceptable level. I figure it might have something to do with plugging a stereo cable into a mono input (in the mixer), but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone here had an idea about what might be going on. Should I just get a mono cable, and that should take care of it?

Here's the mixer and metronome in question. The mixer is plugged into the mixer input on the far left, but it doesn't seem to make a difference what input I use. The two other cables are the left and right channels of my Roland SPD-S.

Last edited by Naigewron; 12-08-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
audiotech

Default Re: Bad connection when plugging metronome into mixer... Help?

It sounds as if the signal from your metronome is being shorted out when the mini plug is fully plugged into the adapter. A few questions are, Is you metronome's out put mono or two channel (stereo)? What type of cable are you using between your metronome and the adapter, two or three conductor (mono or stereo)? What type of adapter plug are you using? Does it go from 2 conductor 1/8" to 1/4" or stereo 1/8" to mono 1/4" or some other configuration? There are a lot of possibilities why the level is getting grounded out by pushing the plug fully into the jack. If the output of the metronome is stereo or three conductor, using a 2 conductor or mono plug into the metronome's output could short out one side of it's output.

Get back top us and let us know exactly what you're using. It sounds to me that it's the adapter between the cable and your mixer that actually causing the problem.

Dennis
Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Hey!

Cables and electronics are way outside my area of expertise, but I believe this is the cable I'm using:
http://www.clasohlson.no/Archive/Ima...075614_673.jpg
I'm guessing that's a standard stereo cable.

The metronome connector is, according to the manual, a stereo output.

I'm not sure what kind the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is, but it's a standard hifi type adapter (meant for stereo headphones and such). I also tested it with a couple of other adapters, and the result was the same.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
audiotech

If your metronome's output is indeed stereo and you're using the cable that you illustrated, the problem is probably in the adapter. You should be using an 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono adapter to go to your mixer. This will mix your left and right channels into just one mono output. Having everything work properly by pulling the plug half way out of your metronome tells me that something is shorting out in the adapter arrangement, not that it's defective, but maybe the wrong adapter is being used. If you have the correct adapters, you can also run your metronome into the "tape inputs" on your mixer. It would be an 1/8" stereo connector that goes to your metronome and the other end would branch off into two RCA plugs (left and right).

How many conductors does your adapter have that plugs into your mixer? Is it tip and sleeve (two conductor) or is it tip, ring and sleeve ( three conductor).

Dennis