DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Drum racks, are they worth it?

Basically i am stuck on a decision on what to get next, im not sure if i should get a drum rack or new cymbols, atm i only have a 5 piece kit and 6 cymbols consisting of 1 paiste rude and the rest menial mcs. I was just looking for other people's input and help for me decide. Is it worth getting a rack with what iv got so far and if so what racks are best to get?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum racks, are they worth it?

I would definitely start replacing the Meinl MCS cymbals first. Get your basic items (drums, cymbals, pedals) up to scratch first, and then start worrying about the rest.

Do you play gigs? If not, a rack is mostly a useless investment anyway.

I used to have a rack on my kit, but have since gone back to stands. The rack looked awesome, but proved too cumbersome and inflexible for my needs. I now use five straight cymbal stands, and it works great!

Last edited by Naigewron; 12-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Unless you've got a roadie to set up and take down your rack, don't bother. They're not as easily adjustable as they may appear, and often weigh more - and take up a greater footprint - than the hardware they ostensibly replace, so are a pain in the rear for gigging.

Moreover, cymbals are part of your SOUND, and therefore a much more important investment. If you only have limited resources, a rack is the last thing you should consider buying, IMO.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 PM

Im not gigging yet but im in a band that should be soon, but yeah now you say that it does make alot more sense, thanks for the advice.

EDIT: what i forgot to mention is that the main reason i want a drum rack is because both my toms are mounted onto my bass drum so it limit's the movement would it be a good idea to get a tom stand?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Drums will come and Drums will go, but quality cymbals will become your babies! Until you get them, they should be your priority.

To answer the actual question.

More than anything the reason for putting toms on stands is due to virgin bass drums. If you already have the hole in your bass drum well why not take advantage of the holder for which it exists. Unless you find yourself where you cannot position your drums comfortably, mounting them off the bass is extra work.

If you decide to pull them off it's best to use double duty by attaching the mounts to a cymbal stand!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Yeah fair enough, i think im guna save up for a set of sabian aax.