DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Catalina Maple vs Meridian Maple vs 3007 force??

www.drummerworld.com

Last edited by kartikaysrivastava; 09-30-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM
nhzoso

Default Re: Catalina Maple vs Meridian Maple vs 3007 force??

You cannot go wrong with the Sonor 3007, I used to have a 3003 and it was solid and I imagine the 3007 is even more so. The Catalina is nice although I have never had one and I have heard a meridian and it sounded great.

I think sound wise they will all probably be real close so now you just have to look at the other things like hardware, memory locks, degree on the bearing edges, color etc.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong but I would go with the Sonor personally unless I really hated the color.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM

Catalina Maple:
Maple-formula shell with 45-degree bearing edges, natural interiors and mini Grestch lugs. Catalina Maple features 6-ply toms, 7-ply bass drum and 9-ply snare drum

Force 3007:
The 9-layer maple shells offer an uncompromisingly rich and warm sound, highlighting lower pitches and providing balance in the mid-range and treble.

I think the Sonor are going to provide a bit more power and you have more choice options. the Catalina is a pre-configured set.

I have a set of the Catalinas. I like the thinner shells personally. This doesn't make them better, just different.

Don't know about the Meridian, but, will say between the Sonor and the Gretsch, they are most comparable. The kind of music you plan on playing will lend to your decision. If you're just searching for the better set, you can't go wrong either way.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Banned

One new set on the market I played recently and was astounded by is the Ludwig Element set. This lower priced drum set sounded incredible. I believe Ludwig is onto a winner here and I highly advice you check a set out.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM

I got my ex-display sonor 3007 kit for 400 at a sale from a shop in Newcastle. It's absolutely AMAZING, both in looks and sound. You can't go wrong with this kit and in my opinion it sounds better than anything you can get at that price (or even near to the price it normally sells for)
Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM

I have a Catalina maple and i think it is great, lots of drums therefore so many different setups available to me. But if i could have gotten a Yamaha maple Custom for the same price i would go for the Yammies, their just awsome.