DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-21-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Electric Drums vs Acoustic (recording)

I really can't stand electonic drum sets. I think the "heads" are WAY too small. One snare was like 5 inches. The cymbals are also hard to play.

Acoustic Drums > Electronic Drums
Old 02-21-2006, 11:08 PM

acoustic drums, no contest. you can't beat that "real" sound.
and also, even the best electric drums sound like a keyboard or synth, and electric cymbals always sound simply horrible.

fantastic technology though, good fun and i suppose it will get better as the years go on.

but i would definitely say acoustic.

oh, welcome to the forum!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:16 PM

Hi Icarus -

It really depends on what your goals are as far as recording. If you don't have the space or your neighbors don't dig acoustic drums and you want to do some home recording, then the electric is probably the way to go, plus you'll be able to practice pretty much any time you want to and not bother the neighbors.

If you're looking into the kit because you want to do session work or will be using it primarily as a recording kit, you need to think about the drum sounds you're really looking for as well as taking into consideration the "feel" when playing electronic vs. acoustic.

If you like the Mutt Lange sort of Def Leppard, Cars, Shania drum sound, then the electric kit will do it. If you like a more natural, roomy type sound, you might have a hard time getting that with an electric kit. There are ways to make an electric sound more roomy and airy. I once brought in a PA and put electronic drums through that in a studio and put up room mics like I would for an acoustic set and it did add some air/room to the direct sound. Of coures, with today's electronic kits, you can get so many different sounds and configurations, it's like getting multiple kits when you buy one electronic kit.

The feel thing is super important too. A friend of mine has an electric kit and I have an acoustic kit. We both started working on some Stanton Moore 2nd line snare stuff. He's having a real hard time making it swing on the electric kit compared to how it's going with me and a real snare. So, you need to also think about the style(s) of music you plan on playing or using the kit for.

Not sure if that helps or hurts. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 PM

stairway had a lot of good points. i'd also like to mention that to get a really good drum sound, you'll need a higher end drum module (ie roland td-20) or a computer powerful enough to run something like bfd or drums from hell. if super high quality samples are'nt all that important you can do a decent enough job with a td-6 module and an effects unit. right now i'm running my td-3 through an alesis 300 sumo amp and using one of the on-board room modeling effects to add a nice bit of "oomph" to the sound (the only problem with using the td-3 is that the hi-hat only supports open/closed/in-between. not full range. other than that its really nice).

also you dont need room mics to record using an electric kit. you can send a direct out from your module or mixer right to the recording board, or midi out to a computer.

also, i'd recommend that you check out some of the mesh head kits from hart dynamics. you can get a prodigy kit for about $540 or go a step up and get a virtuoso for $1100.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=445449
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...nes?sku=445440

if you'd like to test these kits out in england, contact these guys http://www.edrumonline.co.uk/ they are harts official british dealers. tell simon that brokenhalo sent you :-)
Old 02-21-2006, 11:54 PM

I really somtimes enjoy tyhe sound that one can achive with just the press of a button on a electroninc drumset.... But the question that one might ask is what do you want to sound like?

The best drum sound is still with acoustic, even though the last few years there have come lost of new electric drum sounds and "pads" that respond to "ghost notes" and sound differently if you hit the pad in different ways. As averypoordrummer says it will prolly get better with time.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 AM

if you want to get an idea of what electric drums are capable of nowadays check out this video

http://www.hartdynamics.tv/video/QT_..._6-4_TD12.html

ghost notes have been done, brush work is now possible etc.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Electronic and acoustic drums really are two different instruments. I have and I play both and I consider myself a heavy hitter when it comes to playing. I play a Yamaha DTxtremeIIs and they sound great. They hold up to heavy hitting and they pick up the ghost notes. When I close my eyes and play through the phones I canít tell their electronic the sound is that good. For recording I prefer the control I can get from the electronic set. For live performances I love the acoustic set. By the way pad technology has come a long way and the feel on the pads on the Yamaha are great. Iíve tried the mesh and I love them as well. Research the different eKits and play on one before you decide. Playing the kit is the only way to tell if youíre really going to like them.

Animal Life Savers
Old 02-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Drad-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82bagn
Electronic and acoustic drums really are two different instruments.
I think that sums up the debate pretty well.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:26 AM

Here is my advise

A friend of mine that plays drums had an electric kit. He liked it a lot and sounded great on it. Then he played on a normal kit and sounded horrible. Also i think that a normal kit has more of an organic sound.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Pioneer Member

To answer to your question - For recording purposes I do not know Acoustic sound better or Electronic - But my opinion and guesswork is Acoustic Drums.

Yes Electronic Drums & Acoustic Drums are indeed different. In my opinion, if you can play an Acoustic Drum, you can play an Electronic Drum ...WELL. BUt if you can play well on an Electronic Kit that doesn't means you can play well on an Acoustic Set - It's not the same.

If you can do Accenting on an E-Kit and all the while you have been playing on an e-kit, try doing the Accenting on an Acoustic Kit - and you probably find - Hey, how come my Accent is so Crappy.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Hands down Acoustic drums blow away the E Kits. NO comparison. E. kits are good if your in an apartment or have volume control issues such as churches. I wouldn't record with an E. kit either.
Acoustic well tuned drums with microphones are the best option for recording. IMO
Old 02-22-2006, 03:26 PM

plus the fact that electric would be making the same noise everytime you hit it so i would suggest using an acoustic, just for the fact that you have a larger amount of variety even though you would be striking the same drum.

not that i know much but it may be a help:)
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxegendrummer
plus the fact that electric would be making the same noise everytime you hit it so i would suggest using an acoustic, just for the fact that you have a larger amount of variety even though you would be striking the same drum.

not that i know much but it may be a help:)
it doesnt help cause your assumption is false. check the link i posted above.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:09 AM

Hi,

Im not a huge fan of electronic drum kits as such... however I do use some electronics on my kit so I can mix electronic with acoustic. Im running triggers through a Roland V-Drum module. Im adding some pads to my kit soon too, but I would never go to a full electronic kit.

The acoustics are much better tone wise.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 PM

It seems as though the majority of the posters here are acoustic fans (and I can understand why) but there are those few like me who have to use e-kits due to the lack of a soundproof room (and the desire to stay married) - if you have the resources, do try the Roland TD-12S and you won't be disappointed. Of course, if money is no object, then the TD-20S is the top of the line and the mesh pads feel more like acoustic heads than the rubber pads.

I have the TD-12S and the place I take lessons has a couple of acoustic kits... to be honest, I like my e-kit better but probably because those kits get rough treatment from the students.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus

I'm thinking of using an electronic drumkit just for recording...

- Icky -

Icky,

Instead of going to all that trouble and expense, have you thought about simply building an E-Kit out of your acoustic?

Simply refit all the batter side heads with mesh heads and use clip-on triggers to pick up the signal.
Then all you'll need is a brain (if your goal is to plug directly into the board).

Price it out and see what you think.
I bet you'd find it's a more affordable way to get into an e-kit and will achieve the same objective...plus, if you ever wanted to go back to acoustic, all you need to do is to change out the batter side heads and unclip the triggers.

...and concerning the comments about electronic vs. Acoustic sound...you could always use samples.
It's becoming quite commonplace in the industry, these days.

Elvis
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike

if you have the resources, do try the Roland TD-12S and you won't be disappointed. Of course, if money is no object, then the TD-20S is the top of the line and the mesh pads feel more like acoustic heads than the rubber pads.

I have the TD-12S and the place I take lessons has a couple of acoustic kits... to be honest, I like my e-kit better but probably because those kits get rough treatment from the students.
Acoustics are expensive and can cost much more than an e-kit many a times.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:16 AM

I personally have played E-kits and Acoustic kits and they both have their own unique qualities I know recording wise it might be easier to stay consistent with an acoustic drum kit the with an E-kit and live you can run an E-kit right through the pa system so you get no bleed ins from other instrruments like you get with an acoustic set set up with mics. But it all really broils down to your preference in the end!
Hope this helps
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Are electric drum kits better

Now this is something thats Bothered me for ages are electric drum kits better well I want to know so please let me know if you think electric drum kits are better than normal ones, personally I think there are some things you just cant do with an electric one but electric drum kits have loads of different sounds on so which one is best. i want to know

Last edited by drumfury; 03-22-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Are electric drum kits better

Kekekeke...you can't do a prpoer Rim Shot with an Electronic Drums. But.tttt you can adjust the Bass Drum trigger in such a way that all you need is a gentle touch on the bass-pedal and the Bass goes like this.... - dub,dub,dub,dub,dub,dub (6 beat all in one touch)....kekeke...effortlessly.

I always go to my Music School and play around with the Trigger of the Roland (till my lesson comes), then everyone (customers especially) started comming in to the room to see who is playing the drum and then they saw me ...smiling at them, and I will hit the toms with just one stroke and it goes on forever.....kekekeke. I know what they are thinking by the looks in their eyes - they must be feeling very very dissapointed, and so this is how this guy did it....

Go for a proper drum Kit - Go Acoustic (the normal type)
Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Neither is better than the other. It's all subjective. Some guys like the sounds they can get with an electronic kit, while other guys prefer the sound and feel of an acoustic kit.

I happen to be totally turned off by electronic drums. I don't even really consider them to be drums, just little pads you hit to make drum sounds. I'll always prefer the sound and spirit of acoustic drums.

See what I mean? It depends who you ask.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:39 AM

I play both on regular basis. There are many myths about E drums. Many of them have origin in the past. The development in this are has been huge.
One such myth is that you can't do rimshots, well I do not agree. It depends on what set you are playing. Mine can, my snare has also position sensing. Shots close to the rim sounds like shots close to the rim..

I like both, but in a live situation I probably would prefere acoustic. Why, it's not so much the sound, but the E drums does not "look right" on the stage, besides I would consider the module as a single point of failure, if the thing goes dead, well no drums..

I must confess, I have not played on a really high end acoustic set.

/Frode
Old 03-14-2006, 11:07 AM

I've used both, and presently I'm using mainly my Roland because of my living arrangement. I've found that as far as practice goes either one will work fine. There are some challenges when you try to transfer something you've worked on one set to the other, but that's simply a matter of how you arrange and "program" yourself onto a kit.

I will say this: I've played one show with my electronic drums and they didn't work out at all. The levels were all messed up running into the sound board (since I run my Roland set into an SPD-S) including absolutely no drum sound going through the monitors. Just imagine it, playing a show and all you can hear are the other instruments and your sticks hitting rubber.

-Cris
Old 03-14-2006, 11:07 AM

It depends on what you want. If you want a variety of sounds...go electric. In my case, and many others who play electric, it's a matter of surroundings. E-kits are fantastic if you live in apartments (ground floor mainly though) and need to keep quiet. That seems to be the main factor. If noise is not an issue, go acoustic. For me, I have both...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8966

There are other threads on e-kits vs. acoustic. Try looking those up too for further info.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Stu_Strib

I'll leave the electronic kits up to the keyboard players of the world. Afterall, that's all they reall are, is a keyboard. Push a key, get a note.

That's a bit of a simplification, but they are nowhere near the musical instrument an accoustic drum is (in the right hands of course).

They've been trying to say electronic drums, and drum machines, and electronics in general will replace the drummer for what, 30 years now, and I still don't see it happening. I don't even really see a lot of progress in electronic kits over the past say 15 years!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:42 PM

Electronic kits are trying very hard to simulate acoustic sounds in a synthetic way. How in the world could they be "better" than the model they are trying to copy ? It is completely different than the electric guitar, which really became an instrument of its own, as opposed to the acoustic guitar.

They are getting better. Dynamic response , position sensing, more accurate sampling, especially for snares and bassdrums.

Cymbal sounds are still struggling.

I use an electronic kit out of necessity. My agenda and surroundings would only allow me something like an hour a week practice on an acoustic kit.... Volume control : that is the main big advantage of e-kits.

Put a volume control on an acoustic kit, and all my Roland stuff is history.

Last edited by shuffle; 03-14-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I'll leave the electronic kits up to the keyboard players of the world. Afterall, that's all they reall are, is a keyboard. Push a key, get a note.

That's a bit of a simplification, but they are nowhere near the musical instrument an accoustic drum is (in the right hands of course).

They've been trying to say electronic drums, and drum machines, and electronics in general will replace the drummer for what, 30 years now, and I still don't see it happening. I don't even really see a lot of progress in electronic kits over the past say 15 years!
i think so to but i hate drum machines because they take away our jobs drummers jobs
Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Thanks everyone i personly hate eletric because you just cant do some things
Old 03-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Both have their uses obviously, but I prefer accoustic because (a) when the power goes out at a club gig it's instant solo time, and (b) there's just something very cool about being able to generate so much volume in such a simple way that all the other instruments need huge amps to keep up.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 PM

There are advantages to both acoustic and electronic kits.

Acoustic: Ability to tune to you liking, takes up more space, lower cost, natural feel and response, produces sound instantly, easy to expand and fix broken parts.

Electronic: Pre-set sounds - no need to tune, saves space, more expensive, unnatural feel and response, cannot produce sound as quickly as an acoustic set, expensive to fix and expand.

If you wish to exapnd on my list, copy and paste it to a new window and add on the new points you make.

- Marc
Old 03-14-2006, 09:26 PM

Question: Are electric drum kits better

My answer: If it's the way you want to play music, yes
Old 03-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Pioneer Member

there are obvious benifits to both, but you can never replace the acoustic sound and feel. dynamics and its just more fun and loud.... its realer to me.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

It is the cunning barbarian that uses technology to his advantage. Many say "I hate drum machines because they replace real drummers". I have never seen that to be the case. I have seen many jobs, however, go to the drummer who understands both acoustic and electronic drums vs.the guy who only knows how to play an acoustic kit. Also, you really can't call electronic drums "just drum machines". The "drum Machine" is a box a (guitarist) programs a basic beat into so he can jam. It's a writting tool. E-kits are musical instruments and you have to play them. Roland hired Johnny Rabb to demo their e-kits and the cat is total shred. Tony Verderosa and Akira Jimbo both take it to a whole other level. They are both fully "one man bands". Like most things, there are +'s & -'s to both. They can co-exits in the same room very well. You can integrate them to work together. You can leave the e-kit at home to practice on (your neighbors will thank you) and keep your acoustic kit at the rehearsal room. Options, do not turn down options.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:32 AM

the only advantage of playing an acoustic kit imo is the cymbals. even a module like the td-20 cant replicate the way acoustic cymbals play. the sounds are fairly dead-on, but the subtle nuances are lost.

other than that, high end electric kits like a hart dynamics rig with a td-20 can compare to an acoustic kit any day. and the best part is that i've actually got an infinite number of kits and cymbals to play with. just as an example, heres what i can do with my snare.

i can pick wood, brass, or steel. then i can change the depth of the snare from 1"-20". i can pick a clear, coated, or pinstriped head, then i can adjust muffle (add tape) and change the strainer tension. i can adjust the tuning (in the module) and change the micing position. on top of all that i can add ambience, change the room size and wall composition, and add effects if i want them.

and thats just the snare ^__^

and playing on a pad like the hart prosnare is pretty comparable to playing on a real acoustic drumhead (minus the noise. and they are hand-hammered chrome. gorgeous drums). playing a nice high end kit feels like playing a high-end musical instrument as opposed to a toy. the roland pads feel like spongy s**t and it's a shame cause thats really the only kit that people really get to play on at guitar center.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:29 AM

i don't care for electric lol.. i tried playin on one for the heck of it at a guitar store that had like 5 real drumsets and like 2 electrics.. lol.. i don't like 'em.. they're not.. real to me lol.. i prefer the great sound, feel, and fun from a real drumset.. even though mine isn't all that great... but of course that's my opinon.. there are people out there taht like electrics... i just ain't one of them
Old 03-15-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway
It is the cunning barbarian that uses technology to his advantage. Many say "I hate drum machines because they replace real drummers". I have never seen that to be the case. I have seen many jobs, however, go to the drummer who understands both acoustic and electronic drums vs.the guy who only knows how to play an acoustic kit. Also, you really can't call electronic drums "just drum machines". The "drum Machine" is a box a (guitarist) programs a basic beat into so he can jam. It's a writting tool. E-kits are musical instruments and you have to play them. Roland hired Johnny Rabb to demo their e-kits and the cat is total shred. Tony Verderosa and Akira Jimbo both take it to a whole other level. They are both fully "one man bands". Like most things, there are +'s & -'s to both. They can co-exits in the same room very well. You can integrate them to work together. You can leave the e-kit at home to practice on (your neighbors will thank you) and keep your acoustic kit at the rehearsal room. Options, do not turn down options.
good point now that you put it that way it make sence there both just as good
Old 03-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Pioneer Member

E-Kits are not drum machine - that is correct and I agree.

But, the feel is never the same. Forget about Akira Jimbo (and all these Professional Drummers) playing on e-kits. They already had alot of experience on Acoustic Kit before- It's just for show purposes. They didn't learn drums using that - don't forget SIMMON E-KIT was already in the market at that time. I'm sure they prefer Acoustic, that's where they acquire their drumming skills - Don't forget these Professionals are paid to advertise for these drum companies...tha'ts also part of their job.

Lets look at the majority of the average drummer instead to make a more accurate judgement on this. Playing on an e-kit is never the same as on an Acoustic Kit....and it's true many techniques cannot be master using an e-kit but Acoustic instead.

Take for instance, the Hi-Hat part of the e-kit...Of course you can learn open-closed techniques, but not mastering it and so is Accenting (which doesn't means merely hitting at the rims each time when doing it - at it's loudest). You can be playing very well on e-kit but after playing it everyday on an e-kit, and you switch to an Acoustic Kit when playing in real life (you probably think - Hey I sucks). You cannot apply & transfer what you did & how it sounds exactly from an e-kit to an electronic kit. Proper Drum Techniques as in mastering it takes years unlike (learning how to play with triggers - which literally takes so much shorter time).

Give a new drummer learning how to play the drums and teach him all the techniques on(hands/foot) and compare him with one learning strictly the same techniques on an Acoustic Kit - I bet...given the same time frame - the one learning on the acoustic kit will play better & excel better on techniques & playing.

Technology assists the Drummer not REPLACING them - this will never happens.

This is a trueful answer
Old 03-20-2006, 07:07 AM

I don't like electronic kits that much, but it is always nice to mix some pads with the acustic drums. Neil Peart and Akira Jimbo use this combination very well.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:14 PM

NO.

they are tecnically amazing, but can't hold a candle to a real kit at all. the cymbal sounds are especially horrible.

but they are good for quieter practising.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Pioneer Member

They are two different instruments, I have both, I love both, EKits just like acoustic kits have come a long way in terms of improvements. I get a kick out of people that say EKits don't feel natural, what is so natural about striking a drum head on an acoustic kit? It's not like were born doing this so "really", how natural is it? Striking a polyester film based head is about as natural as striking a rubber or mesh head.

Animal Life Savers