DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-11-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Electronic kits YOUR OPINIONS

I live in a block of apartments. I relatively new to drums, but would like to furthur my interest by getting a drum set, but I have my neighbours who probably would not like me to play drums. So I'm not sure what i should do. If a get a drum set, is there any way i can sound-proof the room without turning it into an oven without the air-conditioner on? If not should I get an electric drum set or should i not bother at all?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Should I get a drum set or electric drums

Soundproofing an apartment room well will cost more itself than most acoustic drumsets honestly. I would stick to an electric set for now
Old 09-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Ever think about renting a house? Get an electronic set. If you want to buy an accoustic set I think there are pads you can buy to put on it for quiet practicing.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 AM

I would agree about getting dampening pads for an acoustic set...they'll cost about $50 or so, but it's better than playing electric drums! They will be a little louder than a practice pad and that probably won't disturb neighbors, and they do have pads for cymbals too. I've never liked electronic drums (not even the Roland V-series) and while they do have good technology etc., they just aren't drums. But definitely give dampening pads a chance...
Old 09-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Pioneer Member

I disagree. It's true electric drums aren't the same as real drums, but I think they'd be more fun than playing on practice pads all the time. You could try to play without them, but it's just not fun to have to try to play quietly. Plus, can you even get a silencer for the bass drum?

With electronic drums, you can get headphones so only you hear it, and at least it sounds like you're really playing drums. I mean, what's the point of having an acoustic set if you never actually hear it?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 PM

Well, first, they do have silencers for the bass drum...they attatch with rubber bands. Yeah, it might be lame to play with dampening pads, but the kit still has potential to sound good, and if you gig they'll be fine. With electronic drums they will always feel uncomfortable, sound fake, and you wil be playing on practice pads all the time. My experience with E-kits is they are fun for a while, with all the musical/creative sounds you can use, but it wears off after and hour or two, just like a novelty.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:34 AM

I have those silencer pads. One tip - dont bother practicing fast double kick on them. I think you'd do better to buy a practice kick pad (the ones that are just a practice pad on a stand so the pedals can be fixed to it) and do your double kicking there. But for the rest of the kit the silencers are ok, and for single kick stuff theyre good. Thats my experience anyway. I was considering gettin an electric kit so I can move into a unit (apartment) but from reading here I changed my mind. I think the silencers will have to do lol. :D
Old 09-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Scaraden,

I am very familiar with your situation and hope I can help you out here to along with our fellow drummers. I played acoustic drums for several years until I entered the military. I then lived in military dorms on base and eventually moved off base to apartments. There was no way I could play acoustic in those situations. At one point, there was a music center on base which had several studios with a few drumsets, so I took advantage of “renting” those spaces out when I could until they closed down. To make matters worse, I also worked overnight shifts back then so even if I could set up dampening pads, I wouldn’t have been able to practice much anyways. After some research, I bought a Roland set. It worked out fantastic in the dorms…I had it hooked up through the stereo so could play right along to any CD’s or radio. All I had to do was switch off the speakers and play through the headphones. Yes, the pads make a certain amount of noise…I’ve never played dampeners on acoustic so I am not sure of the difference. But for what it’s worth, I could play on my days off (or nights in my case) and not wake a soul in the building—I was on the ground floor which helps. Otherwise people below you may hear the “stomp” of the kick pedal. There were times when I lived above people in other apartments—in those cases, I just didn’t want to chance annoying anyone below with the kick pedal. There were times when the set would be packed up for months at a time! That, was torture.

When I had them set up though, I was still able to keep my chops up even on the pads. True, they’re not the same as acoustic but depending on the situation and your surroundings, there may have to be some compromise to the real thing. I took out a loan and paid them off, built up my credit, and still had a blast with the hundreds of sounds at my disposal. Even now that I’m out of the military and have a house with more “distanced” neighbors, the electric set is still good when my son is sleeping. Besides, he gets a kick out of all the different cartoon sounds. Don’t worry, I’ll work him up to the real sounds soon! I’ll eventually set up my acoustic and incorporate the pads around it and see where that takes me too.

However, they are expensive. You mentioned that you’re relatively new at drums. Whether or not you want to spend that much $ on a new venture is entirely up to you. I felt that an electric set would help me improve what I already knew. Perhaps a set of practice pads/dampeners/whatever would be more suitable for a beginner. Start learning the basics on the basics. When you’re satisfied you are heading in the right direction progression-wise and want to stick with it, then maybe invest in electric.

Again, my situation dictated what I could or could not do with drums and knew that my passion for drumming dictated that I find another way to play…it’s definitely been worth it in my opinion. Besides, you may have some tolerable neighbors and if they don’t mind you turning them up, your friends will also have a blast playing around on them too! There will always be the acoustic/electric debate but you have to do what’s right for you. Go to a store and try them out…ask the music store staff…research more e-drums and see what else other’s may say on this issue. That’s just my side of the issue…good luck! (sorry for the long post)

WeatherKing
Old 09-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Pioneer Member

There are mesh heads made by pearl that are designed to replace your stock batter head that gives you the feel of a real head with no volume ( not sure if you have to take of the reso head to acheive the quietness) I saw them and played on some at a local sam ash. Pretty cool if you can't have the volume. Also keep in mind something weatherking mentioned. If you don't live on the ground floor your bass pedal, regardless of the type of kit, will make a "thumping" sound for your neighbors below. Had a friend in your exact situation, he bought the v-drums and loves them but he said the same thing you can hear the thump from the bass pedal. Just something to keep in mind before you make an investment, and possibly get a nasty call from the landlord.

Best of luck,

Kona
Old 09-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Hmmm, maybe there's no easy way around the bass drum situation, but what would you guys think about getting brushes instead of sticks and then playing without mufflers? That's pretty quiet as long as you don't hit as hard as you possibly can, and definitely still sounds cool.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Problem with playing with brushes all the time is it will really mess up your feel for regular sticks when you go back to them. There's just not an easy answer to this dilemma. Here's a possible solution to the bass drum Bass Drum practice pad not sure how it sounds or feels but it looks similar to what most stores have set up to try bass pedals on. Also try checking out these heads Pearl Mesh Practice heads

Hope this helps.

Kona
Old 09-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Senior Administrator

look here as well:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Electronic kit VS regular kit...

Hey...mary christmas,or Hnuka, or whatever you celebrate those days (:

So Head line says it all, which one you think feels the most right for you...
I've never had a chance to play an e.kit...hope ill get one some day..
cheerZzZ..
Old 12-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Electronic kit VS regular kit...

regular... e kits for practising..

wega
Old 12-25-2005, 05:10 PM

sorry i wasn't so clear...i meant for practicing
Old 12-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0avz
sorry i wasn't so clear...i meant for practicing
okaai, practise with band = regular .. alone = e. kit..
Old 12-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Pioneer Member

The eKit I use is a DTXtremeIIs, my acoustic set is a Sonor Force 3003 both sets at this point in my life are equally important, however, if I were a gigging musician then I would lean more towards the acoustic set. As a practicing drummer I lean towards the eKit because it allows me to practice anytime I want. As for playing live I choose the Sonor kit only because of the inherent problems with eKits in loud live settings. Edrums tend to mistrigger due to the trigger responding to loud sound vibrations. I will admit I have seen some very interesting write ups on several discussion boards where people suffering such problems have fine tuned their eKits and minimized if not all together got rid of the mistriggering problems. If I could get that good at configuring the brain to my eKit then I would have no reservations on brining my eKit on stage, the sound and feel of the kit is fantastic.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:06 PM

I personally can't stand e-kits. But if there's one good thing about them its that they're great to have at home. You can plug in a set of headphones and play all you want anytime of the day/night. But for gigs/concerts, acoustic all the way.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Neaux
I personally can't stand e-kits. But if there's one good thing about them its that they're great to have at home. You can plug in a set of headphones and play all you want anytime of the day/night. But for gigs/concerts, acoustic all the way.
I saw the movie Dr Neaux, and rambeaux in my chateaux on the bayeaux.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:28 PM

I prefer my e kit for everything because I use a normal Pearl Export set with meshheads, muffls and triggers and I have no problem with triggerresponse, but I didn't play live with my set yet, so I don't really know how they work with an loud enviroument? I think because of the meshheads there're less problems with threshold.
I just love the idea to have my sounding set anytime, anywhere with my headphones!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:15 PM

Quote:

cheerZzZ..
There are probably a few more threads about this but here's one...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2242
Old 12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

E-Kits:
Pro: eKit's are great for training your timing, use of fills. They're also very usefull for recording.
Contra: U can't really expand an eKit, unless you're willing to buy several drum modules.

Acoustic Kits:
Pro: U buy what u want and build out the drum u want.
Contra: It's probably gonna cost more than an eKit. Recording is tougher.

I guess it's all up to personal preferences. I still prefer a acoustic kit.
But for playing i would like to have a eKit but i wouldn't pay a lot of money for it.
So true
Old 12-27-2005, 02:19 AM

i have one of each and i prefer my acoustic kit. you just cant get the same feel as an acoustic kit with and e-kit, even the $6000 roland kits dont feel the same.
i really like my e-kit for recording. its much much easier. but i cant have my 12 cymbals like on my acoustic kit...
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 AM

Hmm...depends on your situation...

If your parents (or wife, or whatever) doesn't mind the noise, then definitely a regular accoustic kit. If they do, then an e - kit.

But i would advise everyone an accoustic kit, just for the 'feel' of it.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Senior Administrator

i have both. one day i will go all electric but only when the technology has advanced further...you only have to watch billy ward on accoustic drums to realise how many sounds you can get out of one drum. so when they make triggers that don't only sense dynamics but also where a drum is hit then i will go full electric. dual pads and triggers are the first step but i can get at least 10 distinct sounds out of my real snare drum. so e kits must do the same. perhaps with laser grid triggers or something. in ten years it will be a whole different kettle of fish and we will look back on the TD20k and laugh as hard as we do now when we see those old simmons pentagonal wrist-breakers.
j
ps: but i will always sticj with accoustic cymbals...they are so beautiful.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
i have both. one day i will go all electric but only when the technology has advanced further...you only have to watch billy ward on accoustic drums to realise how many sounds you can get out of one drum. so when they make triggers that don't only sense dynamics but also where a drum is hit then i will go full electric. dual pads and triggers are the first step but i can get at least 10 distinct sounds out of my real snare drum.
I'm sure that the TD-8, TD-12 and TD-20 have positional sensing for the snare, but only with mesh pads like the PD-100 and PD-120.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Senior Administrator

they do but it is hadly good enough yet. i would rather play a budget snare that is nicely tuned than a top of the line e snare. and that says something. when the e snare is the equivalent of the top of the line snare being made, then i will make the full switch.
j

Old 12-27-2005, 07:33 PM

I prefer my e-set without using the positional sensing and dynamics because on the newest and soon be released metal cds the drum sound goes more in the direction of e-sounding if you know what I mean, so I'm not looking to imitate an acoustic sound, I'm looking for a mixture of electronic and acoustic sound without alot of overtones and unwanted sounds.
On Metal cds I like, the drums are on one volume level and I prefer that for that kind of music.
Sure for different styles it requires different sounds, but I think I make a good decision to switch to e-cymbals. Because listen to this samples and I think it would sound better with electronic cymbals because the drums have an more extreme sound and the cymbals are almost in the background.
Live it was the same problem of this band, huge triggered sound and low volume band, that really su**ed.
http://simple.returntothepit.com/view.php?formid=24776
I think you like more the acoustic sounding things and I'm happy that trigger module /can't trigger/can shut them off now.

Last edited by Ramsh; 12-27-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Pioneer Member

When I first bought my eKit it was a substitute for my acoustic kit, I was limited to when I could play the acoustic kit due to volume restrictions in my home. The more I use both kits the more I realize they are two different beasts. Watching and listing to people like Akira Jimbo and Neil Peart talk about and play their edrums within the realm of their acoustic set allows you to learn that one does not replace but rather enhances the other. You must learn the capabilities of the eKit and decide for yourself if it allows you to better musically express yourself. I have found that not only does my eKit allow for practice where practicing with an acoustic kit is not possible but it also allows me to create and combine both electric and acoustic sounds and in essence expand my musical pallet.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82bagn
When I first bought my eKit it was a substitute for my acoustic kit, I was limited to when I could play the acoustic kit due to volume restrictions in my home. The more I use both kits the more I realize they are two different beasts. Watching and listing to people like Akira Jimbo and Neil Peart talk about and play their edrums within the realm of their acoustic set allows you to learn that one does not replace but rather enhances the other. You must learn the capabilities of the eKit and decide for yourself if it allows you to better musically express yourself. I have found that not only does my eKit allow for practice where practicing with an acoustic kit is not possible but it also allows me to create and combine both electric and acoustic sounds and in essence expand my musical pallet.
I love the capability to play my ekit early in the morning or when my son is sleeping. But I really would like to combine them and start composing some decent solos with themes and a variety of sounds. Like you said, expanding your musical pallet is a plus and I can't wait to see where it could take me. I've been cleaning my acoustic after years of storage and will be setting them back up with new heads this weekend. I'm just not sure if I want to combine or keep separate for now. We'll see!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Pioneer Member

WeatherKing
I recommend Akira Jimbo's DVD titled Fujiyama, combining acoustic and electronic drums. Akira is a master drummer and this DVD is full of some great information about embracing both types of kits and using them together to create a very unique sound.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:30 PM

Sweet, I didn't know he had a DVD out. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
but i cant have my 12 cymbals like on my acoustic kit...
Can i get a visual on that ? =)
So true
Old 12-28-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:

cheerZzZ..

alright mate ! just got rid of plug in cos it just is not the same at all as a proper kit. take my tip... get a heater for the shed and some practice pads and beat hell out of a real kit !! cheers

Premier Resonator 92 ish
Old 12-29-2005, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumProgressive
Can i get a visual on that ? =)
Im gonna get some pics up as soon as i get my new digital camera, hopefully within a week.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:54 AM

I think the nuances of an acoustic kit or great .But with a nice module (td-8/td-20) your practicing capabilities go through the roof. You got akit of any sized, perfectly tuned drums made out of what ever you want in what ever setting (auditorium, stage ect..) you choose. Plus I find it great when my bands not around to be able to work up timing and speed with the songs/grooves that come with the module.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Pioneer Member

The Beatbox,

Quote:
I think the nuances of an acoustic kit or great .But with a nice module (td-8/td-20) your practicing capabilities go through the roof.
Very well said, also with the ability to control volume during extensive practice sessions drummers that incorporate eKits also protect their hearing, which is very important for longevity. If looked at as an additional resource rather than a substitute the eKit really has no down side.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:16 PM

I have both and play both. I record and practice with my e kit TD20 and play live with my acoustic kit Pearl masters. The only seet back for me are my e cymbals they just don't have them right for me yet. I will eventually go all e kit once they get the cymbals right, my playing has been and will stay reduced to studio gigs and creating beats. Just my 2.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Scaraden,
Another less expensive option being your new to drums would be to buy a practice pad kit, get a nice one like the practice kit Thomas Lang uses in the Creative Control DVD this way if you decide you don't like the drums (yeah right) then at least your not out a lot of money. Even the less expensive eKits or very expensive when compared to a practice pad kit.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Electric Drums vs Acoustic (recording)

I'm thinking of using an electronic drumkit just for recording. I have my eye on the Yamaha DTXPRESS III kit.

Only problem is they are expensive, definately more than £8, more than £80 infact, i have found a set for £800 and thats about the cheapest I can find.

So before I go and spend an obscene amount of money on some electronic drums, I thought i'd better ask the collective.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

p.s. sorry if this thread has appeared more than once, this is my first post...

- Icky -