DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Snare's Avatar
Snare Snare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
Default Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Before I type anything, I'm happy to say I'm new to drummerworld and it's a really nice site/forum. Had no idea you could find this many drummers anywhere.

Anyway, I mainly play battery in my high school concert band, was recently playing in the pit for marching band and broke two drumsticks, my percussion captain accidently broke my other pair of drumsticks. What's a good pair of concert sticks that don't break so easily?(the pair I broke were 2B's and lasted a good 4 years or so)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 PM
topgun2021's Avatar
topgun2021 topgun2021 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , Minneapolis Area, Minnesota
Posts: 1,283
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Concert Band sticks are usually not the same as drumline/marching sticks. I would recommend getting multiple sticks for various scenarios.

I'll look in my school's percussion closet to see what the drumline and concert snare sticks are.

Last edited by topgun2021; 11-16-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: More info.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 2,067
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

For a great all-purpose concert stick, try the Vic Firth SD1 general stick.

You may also want to try the Tim Genis general model by Vic Firth.

( The Genis model looks like telegraph pole, but they're made of persimmon wood and are really easy to control.)
__________________
"Music is the traveler crossing our world, meeting so many people, bridging the seas"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 PM
maddrummr's Avatar
maddrummr maddrummr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
For a great all-purpose concert stick, try the Vic Firth SD1 general stick.

You may also want to try the Tim Genis general model by Vic Firth.

( The Genis model looks like telegraph pole, but they're made of persimmon wood and are really easy to control.)
Very decent stick to start at. Then when you get picky about how you want your sticks to be, you can venture out to other things.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Boomka Boomka is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,789
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Breaking sticks in a pit? Wow...

I'll second the SD1 recommendation for general stuff. They are a good size, but they are maple so they won't be as sturdy as hickory. If the concern is longevity, they might not be the best way to go. Incidentally, for quieter passages and more precise attack, the SD2 Bolero is a nice stick. I use it for some drum set applications actually. It's an SD1 with a very sharp taper and a small bead.

There are two Tim Genis models - one is designed with a short wide bead for extra clarity at lower volume. Very cool sticks, though. Persimmon has a very interesting sound. It's fairly sturdy as well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Snare's Avatar
Snare Snare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
Breaking sticks in a pit? Wow...

I'll second the SD1 recommendation for general stuff. They are a good size, but they are maple so they won't be as sturdy as hickory. If the concern is longevity, they might not be the best way to go. Incidentally, for quieter passages and more precise attack, the SD2 Bolero is a nice stick. I use it for some drum set applications actually. It's an SD1 with a very sharp taper and a small bead.

There are two Tim Genis models - one is designed with a short wide bead for extra clarity at lower volume. Very cool sticks, though. Persimmon has a very interesting sound. It's fairly sturdy as well.
Yeah, broke the sticks while in the pit, I actually have the video of that performance if you're interested in seeing it. We were doing a blue man group theme that involved playing trash cans and loud snare hits, basically sort of a rock beat. I was in the middle of a drum break and the front end of the stick flew right off mid performance (not on camera).

But getting back on topic, the SD2 Bolero sticks are shorter than SD1 sticks which means more control right?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Boomka Boomka is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,789
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Ahhh! Smacking trash cans would explain it.

Yeah, the SD2 is shorter. "More control?" Perhaps. It really depends on your hands and how they feel to you. They are a bit of an acquired taste.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Snare's Avatar
Snare Snare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
Ahhh! Smacking trash cans would explain it.

Yeah, the SD2 is shorter. "More control?" Perhaps. It really depends on your hands and how they feel to you. They are a bit of an acquired taste.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwOQvY8O9k Skip to 4:40 and... yeah smacking trash cans. However, I did decide to use bass drum mallets on the trash cans after they flew off.

But, for some of my school's winter concert songs like Carol of the Drums (aka Little Drummer Boy) there's varying dynamics all the way from fortissimo to pianissimo and lots of accenting so the Bolero's wouldn't be too bad of a choice depending on price.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 AM
JDC JDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 70
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Yeah, I used the SD1 and SD2 Bolero in high school concert band. I found the Boleros to be great for the delicate stuff especially. I miss that old Ludwig SuperSensitive snare we had at school...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Snare's Avatar
Snare Snare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

After doing a little recent research, I've found that the Bolero's are the typical type of drumstick that I like to use. Lightweight, but pretty thick (I like to feel like I'm actually holding something when I play) with even better rebound if I purchase them with nylon tips. $15.00, but a nice Christmas gift if I feel like waiting that long, thanks for all of the input. (anymore is always welcomed)

Edit: Oh, Bolero is pronounced as bo-lair-ro, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 AM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,552
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Vic Firth "generals" are good, as are any other comparable stick from other companies. I don't know about durability, but I'm more protective of my concert snare sticks. I play a pair of Cooperman "Nothung" model sticks. They have a great feel, balance, and ease of play to them that is unmatched by any other stick, but they're like $20 a pair, so I wouldn't recommend them for set or multiple percussion use.
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Snare's Avatar
Snare Snare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Vic Firth "generals" are good, as are any other comparable stick from other companies. I don't know about durability, but I'm more protective of my concert snare sticks. I play a pair of Cooperman "Nothung" model sticks. They have a great feel, balance, and ease of play to them that is unmatched by any other stick, but they're like $20 a pair, so I wouldn't recommend them for set or multiple percussion use.
Those sound like some high quality sticks, are they sold generally in any music store?

I typically have to play more than one percussion instrument since I'm in a percussion ensemble class, so I probably wouldn't buy them. Either that or I'd get a cheap pair and use the Cooperman sticks for specifically snare use.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-21-2009, 03:45 AM
quirsubt quirsubt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default Re: Sturdy, Concert Band Sticks

I accept with information:They are a good size, but they are maple so they won't be as sturdy as hickory. If the concern is longevity, they might not be the best way to go. Incidentally, for quieter passages and more precise attack, the SD2 Bolero is a nice stick.
__________________________
Calculette pret immobilier taux interet | Calculette prets immo | Calcul credit immobilier prets
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com