DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Default Best Heads for DW Collectors Maple 14x5 Snare (10ply + 6ply reinforcement)??

Hey guys,

Will be picking up a DW 14x5 Collectors Maple snare with 10ply shell and 6ply reinforcement rings. I am looking for the best head that will give me pretty much the best sound out of it.

I play "eclectic rock", which varies from jazz-rock to funk-rock. Think The Doors meets Jeff Buckley and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I will be bringing this into the studio for recording of our next Single. I am also bringing 4 other snares with me, but wanted to know opinions on heads for this DW snare as I have never owned one before.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best Heads for DW Collectors Maple 14x5 Snare (10ply + 6ply reinforcement)??

"Best" is a subjective term. It depends on what sound you're going for, and what your personal tastes are.

But over all, while I think the DW 10 ply is one of the better snare drums made and I have two of them, I don't think head selection for them is any different than head selection for any other snare drum.

So a regular coated ambassador is going to be a good, solid safe bet for the the studio.

I use the Remo coated reverse dot, because they last longer. I also occasionally use the Aquarian version of the same head, because it's a bit brighter.

But what ever head you use for your other 4 snares is good place to start.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Best Heads for DW Collectors Maple 14x5 Snare (10ply + 6ply reinforcement)??

I am pretty sure the guy that sold me the drum put a Weatherking Ambassador Reverse Dot on it and it sounds pretty good just tapping it with a stick. Haven't tried it out with the kit yet.

What's the stock DW snare head that they use? Isn't it some kind of Remo with vents?

As far as what I think is best, I am just a sucker for really good tone and "balls". But really depends on application. I have a 2mm custom brass snare that I like to use for more funkier stuff, but for the jazzier rock Jeff Buckley/The Doors type of tunes i want more of a good tone and presence in the snare. I say I like them tuned medium on the batter side.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Silver Member

The coated ambassador is a good all around quality head. I would start there first.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Gold Member

Hey Max,
Glad to see you're still at it and playing a DW snare. I will have a DW edge snare soon to add to my arsenal and I plan on using the same heads that I do now on my supraphonic. I can tell you that for the studio and the drum you have, the advice given here is sound. I would go with a coated ambassador or coated Evans G2 for more meat over a snare side ambassador or Evans Hazy 300. That will give you plenty of tone and crack and should record really well. Good luck on your choice and have fun in the studio.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Hi
He is correct for the sound you want tune medium to high.tx Denis
Old 11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusppl View Post
I am pretty sure the guy that sold me the drum put a Weatherking Ambassador Reverse Dot on it and it sounds pretty good just tapping it with a stick. Haven't tried it out with the kit yet.

What's the stock DW snare head that they use? Isn't it some kind of Remo with vents?

As far as what I think is best, I am just a sucker for really good tone and "balls". But really depends on application. I have a 2mm custom brass snare that I like to use for more funkier stuff, but for the jazzier rock Jeff Buckley/The Doors type of tunes i want more of a good tone and presence in the snare. I say I like them tuned medium on the batter side.
I've got that same snare, got it new and the head that came on mine is a single ply DW head (ambassador equivelant) with no vents. I honestly really like the sound it gives.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:56 PM

I've got a 14x6 DW Maple 10&6 and I use an Evans Power Center. I like it because the majority of the head is a sensitive single ply, whereas the power dot portion provides for a slightly deeper and less-ringy backbeat.