DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 AM

Default In Ear Monitoring - experiences, advantages etc.

Alrite peeps,

As i look back over previous live recordings im realising my biggest problem is speeding up through the songs. So i thought i'd try a digital metronome (my laptop with logic and some headphones), but had problems with hearing the rest of the band. So i looked on Ebay for an in ear monitoring system and coz im an idiot bought a fairly decent one that i dont quite need.

Its a dB Tehnologies IEM2000 (sorry to bidder 2 if ur reading this, our bidding war was immense). It hasnt arrived yet but i thought i might get this thread going to see if anyone has any experiences with performing live with in ear monitors.

www.elmologic.com
Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 AM

Default Re: In Ear Monitoring - experiences, advantages etc.

Using In Ears is a "learned skill" , just like playing with live wedges when you first start playing bigger stages. The most important thing is to get good ear piece drivers that you like the sound of - remember, you will be hearing yourself (and the lead singer and ego-maniac guitarist!) in HIFi quality.... Get custom moulds made for your drivers, this kills 2 birds with one stone. Not only does it give you great audio due to the seal you get between the mould and your ear canal, it also gives you between 25 & 30 db of noise attenuation, therefore looking after that precious bit of hearing you have left in the process. Downside of isolation is that you lose that feeling of excitement you get from hitting your drums.... Overcome this by using a left / right pair of ambient mics.... any pair of mics will do, tho a quality condenser is better, placed left and right of downstage, and fed sparingly into your IEM mix will take away that feeling of isolation & give you a sense of the room you are playing.
I use a Sennhieser G2 300 system with Ultimate ears UE10's, or Shure E5's for louder stages where I need more angry - dog cut in the mid range frequencies. My day job is in the audio industry so I knew what I wanted to buy for my playing.
I also use a Butt Kicker on my stool to keep the "feeling" of the low end frequencies you miss from a big drum fill monitor.
You'll be doing your monitor guy & your foh engineer a big favour by getting into In Ears, lower levels onstage mean a much cleaner sound through the PA.

Stay with it, its well worth getting used to.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 AM

That's awesome man, thanks very much. Ill definately be stickin with this option and it really justifies the expenditure. It really wasnt on my list of priorities until i played a gig last weekend with all the speakers in the room downstage of me, possibly one of the worst gigs i've played. What you were saying about the noise attenuation is interesting because ive recently started using quality earplugs (Alpine), and im getting used to that sound, but the idea of two condensers fed into the mix sounds fuppin brilliant. And its good to hear that ill be doin the soundguy a favour, i had a feeling it may be a pain in the ass.

Ill send you messages and let you know how i get on. Cheers man.

www.elmologic.com
Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 PM

I really want some but don't have the money. How much did yours cost?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwico View Post
I really want some but don't have the money. How much did yours cost?
If you're in the UK check out Adam Hall's LD systems IEMs. They are based on the sennheiser G2 system, but are a fraction of the price at less than 300 quid. They also have a massive tuning range, which is very useful if your in a band full of wireless users & gigging at house venues that are very inflexible with their own radio frequencies. You may also wish to consider a hardwired set which come in slightly cheaper... you just have to remember to pull your earpieces out before you get up from your kit!!!! The Sennhieser system I use you can get for around 600 for the transmitter & beltpack receiver. Ultimate ears UE10's are about $1000 a pop, Shure E5's are about 300 in the UK i think. Not sure of availability of the LD stuff if you're US based. Also check out Futuresonic earpieces.
Happy hunting!!