DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Incredibly short footboards, my pedals suck, I'm sick of it!

I have a Tama Iron Cobra Jnr. and I'm finding heel-toe technique hard with these short footboards (obviously not made for mens size feet+plus shoe), especially hard with my left-foot, as if the left side of body being cursed isn't enough the whole mechanism is screwed with the slave pedal and my left foot is larger (weird...and more clumsier than my right), the footboard is short if my boot is longer than the footboard (from chain to axle), there is definitely problem...

...and playing barefoot doesn't work with these pedals, the pedal feels heavier and a lot of the footboard is covered by that stupid TAMA logo made of smooth steel - this causes further slipping (instead of the black coating that comprises the background to the logo).

...is there a solution any less than getting a new pedal, new footboard, or overhauling my pedal?

Or is a new pedal the only good solution?

Last edited by BassDriver; 10-27-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: picture placed in edit
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Incredibly short footboards, my pedals suck, I'm sick of it!

Well, the common way to play heel-toe doesn't require your heel to actually be on the footboard... Check out Tim Waterson's quick demo here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXH4...eature=related

And then how he can do the same thing with a massive boot on his foot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoPv1...response_watch

Notice how he can move his heel all the way off the back of the footboard, and the technique still works.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, but I don't have Axis Longboards...

...and even when he puts on his boot the boot is still shorter than the longboard, when I put on any shoe that fits my foot it measures longer than the footboard.

The heel-toe motion works with my pedals, the lag on my left pedal is really making the pedal feel heavier, harder to move, I try to do double stroked sixteenths at 90 bpm even at 70 bpm I struggle (where I started my double-kick practise, work up with 10 bpm intervals) and the left strokes are delayed before they start but the time between the two LL strokes is closer than the RR, no matter if I use heel-toe, heel-down ankle motion, slide technique or just planting my foot down.

There's no point bothering with my pedal, might as well buy the top of the range pedal now and save myself from the same misery.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
Yeah, but I don't have Axis Longboards...

...and even when he puts on his boot the boot is still shorter than the longboard, when I put on any shoe that fits my foot it measures longer than the footboard.
Did you notice that even with that boot on, he still moved his heel completely off the footboard without problem?

If you're dead set on getting another pedal, then go for it. All I'm saying is don't expect your heel-toe strokes to magically work perfectly on a longer footboard.

Here's a video of a guy with big feet on an Iron Cobra (same size as yours). His heels aren't only of the footboard, they're off the heel plate too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkU5LwBdYa8
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Heel toe will work with ANY pedal it's just a matter of practicing. How long have you been working on it and how many days and how much time per practice session are you putting in on it? Have you tried different spring tensions on the pedals, good possibility the slave pedal will not have the same tension to work properly as the master.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Heel toe will work with ANY pedal it's just a matter of practicing. How long have you been working on it and how many days and how much time per practice session are you putting in on it? Have you tried different spring tensions on the pedals, good possibility the slave pedal will not have the same tension to work properly as the master.
I can do it with my right foot but my left is terrible, the whole pedal feels heavier, no matter what kind of tension I put the spring on, it's because of those uni joints on the drive shaft but still, I can do it but sometimes I'll end up with dead strokes that stop just before the head (operator error, the footboard isn't slamming into the floor), if I put my right foot on my left pedal I can still feel how crap the pedal is, I can feel the footboard doesn't "stick" to my foot as it does on the right pedal.

I'm afraid people on youtube aren't being specific enough, all I know is that just the action of the heel coming down (with the ball of the foot still on the footboard) causes the first strike of the double-tap to hit and then, before the pedal finishes its motion snap down with the toe of the foot to complete it, beater sticks to head to await next strike...is that all?

Trying to play double stroked sixteenths at 90bpm, before attempting the heel-toe technique I would just plant my foot down quick enough...so is it just the concept that I wrote above and practice and refinement?

Is there any kind of specific practice routine I could find on the net (free) so my left foot (and heel-toe method) can atleast improve?

Last edited by BassDriver; 10-28-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm afraid people on youtube aren't being specific enough, all I know is that just the action of the heel coming down (with the ball of the foot still on the footboard) causes the first strike of the double-tap to hit and then, before the pedal finishes its motion snap down with the toe of the foot to complete it, beater sticks to head to await next strike...is that all?
Yup, that's pretty much it. Everyone will have their version of it, so it's not something you can just copy 100% from another drummer. Everyone's built differently and move their muscles differently.

Quote:
Trying to play double stroked sixteenths at 90bpm, before attempting the heel-toe technique I would just plant my foot down quick enough...so is it just the concept that I wrote above and practice and refinement?

Is there any kind of specific practice routine I could find on the net (free) so my left foot (and heel-toe method) can atleast improve?
Well, in general it's just a matter of doing it for long enough, and you will improve. The guys who are really good at this stuff will tell you that "long enough" generally means years and years, and that they still work hard on it. Nothing comes easily in the world of musicianship.

However, if you want to really maximise your efforts, the best advice anyone can give you is to get a teacher. He doesn't even have to teach you this technique specifically, he will help you with practice routines, efficient movements, give you feedback on your progress and so on.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

The beaters are now adjusted further away from the head and are now much more responsive to heel-toe technique, the action is also much smoother as a whole and it feels like the energy I'm putting into the pedal is outputting very well. Before the pedal felt like I was putting a lot of force into punching a punching bag and then suddenly something interrupted the swing and glances the blow, now it feels like putting all the force I can into the stroke and nothing except for the impact is killing my stroke.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 AM

There is a slight lag on all slave pedals. Even high end pedals. I use Axis which probably has one of the better driver shafts and the difference is minimal but it still doesn't feel the same as 2 single pedals.
To reduce lag, make sure the angle of your slave pedal is the same where the drive shaft connects. Both sides need to be even to transfer force evenly. If possible put a spring on the slave pedal. That really makes a difference but I don't think you can do that on Tama pedals. Oh, also just practice your left foot more and playing will come easier.