DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Sleishman Twin Pedal!

Have any of you drummerworld drummers heard of this thing.

I'm considering upgrading to this thing to replace my Tama HP200T.

Just want to know how any else thinks about it, and any other info about it...

...adjustability, cost, logic, smoothness of action etc.

Also an argument going on in my head...

...left-right symetry vs centred-bass drum...

...hmmm...I can setup my kit with the kick in the centre but I'm torn between arguments...or maybe both are an advantage...IDK!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sleishman Twin Pedal!

I met the guys that make it, a few years ago. That pedal's been around since 1972, by the way. To my knowledge, Will Calhoun is playing one currently, and has for a few years. Great pedals. Excellent action. When I play a double pedal, I use a Tremelo Tech. center pedal (see pic. below) same concept. Symmetry, is what this design is all about, really. With a centered kick, you build your kit left and right. Not such a big deal if all you play is a 4 piece kit, but you start to get into 6, 8, and beyond, then it starts to get real interesting.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
audiotech

I tried the Sleishman pedals a few times and each time I couldn't get them positioned correctly so that I felt comfortable playing them. In a way they felt like snow shoes instead of a double bass pedal, very bulky. Maybe if I was playing a 13" snare they would have felt better. If I really need a double bass pedal, I'll stick with my Iron Cobra Power Glides.

Although I've never heard of them before, the Tremelo Tech pedals shown below, looks like a more comfortable pedal to play.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Pioneer Member

JT1 has these pedals as his avatar. Maybe he plays them and can give you some feedback.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I met the guys that make it, a few years ago. That pedal's been around since 1972, by the way. To my knowledge, Will Calhoun is playing one currently, and has for a few years. Great pedals. Excellent action. When I play a double pedal, I use a Tremelo Tech. center pedal (see pic. below) same concept. Symmetry, is what this design is all about, really. With a centered kick, you build your kit left and right. Not such a big deal if all you play is a 4 piece kit, but you start to get into 6, 8, and beyond, then it starts to get real interesting.
Does having drive shafts on both pedals feel weird. I know one of the selling points of the offset was there is supposedly "no lag" due to both pedal being slave so they would feel the same. I have tried the slieshman and it is an interesting pedal but I didn't like the footboards and its super expensive. The off-sets are several hundred dollars cheaper but I have never seen one other than online.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theindian View Post
Does having drive shafts on both pedals feel weird.
Certainly no more so than having the drive shaft on just one pedal, and not the other.
Quote:
I know one of the selling points of the offset was there is supposedly "no lag" due to both pedal being slave so they would feel the same.
One might argue the no lag/lag issue, but without getting thousands of dollars of expensive scientific equipment.....to prove a $250 pedal does/doesn't...I'll let those who like to hairsplit do that. Suffice to say, The feel of the left and right pedal can be set up to be identical, or quite near to.

Quote:
I have tried the slieshman and it is an interesting pedal but I didn't like the footboards and its super expensive.
Certainly, you won't see too many of them being used. Before I played the Sleishman, I A/B'd the Sonor pedal against the Trem. Tech., and I prefered the Trem. Tech. So that's what I bought. Charlie Fisher, the cat behind the Trem. Tech. Off Set pedal, nice guy. Approachable. Murphy's Law, after my Off-Set purchase, I got to play the Sleishman, at a NAMM show. It would be much harder to decide between the Off-Set, and the Sleishman. It was easy to choose the Off-Set, over the Sonor.
Quote:
The off-sets are several hundred dollars cheaper but I have never seen one other than online.
Currently, he's selling his pedals out of the shop/website, here: http://web.mac.com/kleidy1/Off-Set/Home.html I guess he's had a hard time finding distribution. I have the "long" driveshafts on my pedals, he now offers "shorties", also. I good buddy of mine (drummer also), has the Off-Set system, with the shorties, and he loves it. Evertually, I'll probably get the Sleishman. They carry 'em at Pro Drum, in Hollywood, now. Not that I need a new pedal system, ....... or that the Sleishman is better than the Off-Set. More, it's a case of "I want a Sleishman".
Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 AM

I would love nothing more than to try out one of these centered pedals, the Sleishman or the Off-Set. My only concern about the Off-Sets is that both of them are connected to drive shafts. And since I can't find anyplace that carries a Sleishman for a test drive, the Off-Sets would be the less expensive "experiment" for me.

The main draw for me is being able to set my kit up with the bass drum in the center, without having to get all obsessive-compulsive about the angle, etc. that always seems to plague me when I tear down/set up. Does anyone who owns either of these pedals find that it helps with this? Or am I the only one who just can't seem to get my pedals to feel JUST right when I set my kit up?

I'm just afraid that I'll go with a Demon Drive (which I've actually gotten my h- ... feet, on) and miss out on pedals that would truly cater to my wants/needs.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Monumar View Post
The main draw for me is being able to set my kit up with the bass drum in the center, without having to get all obsessive-compulsive about the angle, etc. that always seems to plague me when I tear down/set up.
Owning "any" type of pedal, probably won't help cure obsessive-compulsive behaviour. You'll just shift your OC focus somewhere else. The center pedal will, however, force you to center your body/kick relationship. And you can take that foundation (symmetry), conbine it with OC, and unlock a whole new beast. I'm running my center pedal right now. So I have me, my snare, and my kick, all locked in, placement wise. On top of the kick is my 20" ride. Equidistant of left and/or right hand. Just left of my left pedal, my hi-hat. Between, and above my hat and kick, my 16" crash. Right of my kick, my 12" rack tom, and then my 16" floor tom. Above my rack tom, an 18" crash. So, it's a simple 4 piece, but, the relationship of the snare, rack, floor is the tightest I've ever had.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm just afraid that I'll go with a Demon Drive (which I've actually gotten my h- ... feet, on) and miss out on pedals that would truly cater to my wants/needs.
You can't make a decision on those two pedals if you haven't tried both. Good reviews from both, but with very high end pedals (Demon Drive) the left pedal difference is insignificant (Demondrive uses direct-link and very smooth bearings, plus a double pedal Demon Drive can be set into two singles if you get an extra kick).

Demondrive is more adjustable than Sleishman but Sleishman has identical pedals (not sure if it is much difference).

Both have been credited in reviews as being very smooth.

Both are high end pedals.

Demondrives can be converted from short-board (normal) to long-board (difference in leverage) but Sleishman already appears to have already quite long footboards (toe stoppers available).

Demondrives direct link, Sleishman with chain, both with advantages.

Seems very close to me it is up to whether you prefer you kick in the middle of the kit (which requires toms being re-configured) and whether you prefer direct-link over chain.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Hey Bassdriver, i use a Sleishman and have never looked back. It balances out the kit, makes the hi-hat more accessible and the toms much easier to reach when mounted to the bass drum. The only thing that might take a while to get used to is the snare placement which is actually between the pedals and requires the stand legs to be brought closer together to position it properly. Once you get used to this, you will be flying in no time. They are extremely smooth and both sides play exactly the same with no lag from the linkage. The beaters i don't know how, are perfect balance for it, the weight and size, they are lighter than iron cobra beaters (no joke) but also bigger and they really smack the head hard, plenty of power. The only places where the sleishman is disadvantaged are adjustment and beater replacement. You can adjust pretty much everything that you can on a normal pedal except being able to move the beater angle independently without moving the footboard angle which is a shame but not a big deal for me really and if you are wanting to use large beaters and you play them the full length of the shaft, there is not enough space between the two and they will knock together when playing which is a nuisance which is why the Sleishman beaters are perfect for the pedals.

Both pedals are expensive however i think you can find the Sleishman for cheaper than the demon drive if you search ebay.

Good luck
Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

The Sleishman looks like it would be hard to move around. Does it break down easily?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
The Sleishman looks like it would be hard to move around. Does it break down easily?
That's exactly what I think to myself whenever I see it... must be a b**** to carry around, what kind of case would fit something like that??
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Oh yeah it's much easier than a conventional double pedal and that is what i originally thought when i bought it. Basically if you look at the center of the pedal (where the wing nut is that connects it to the bass drum) you can see the joining crease. The pedal separates here into two different parts (2 single pedals if you will). The soft case that it comes with requires you to stack the pedals on top of each other however it comes with a separator (just a sheet of material) that lies on top of the pedal you place in first and the other pedal just lies on top kinda if you place 2 shoes on top of one another heel to toe. So it is very quick to put up and take down.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
Hey Bassdriver, i use a Sleishman and have never looked back. It balances out the kit, makes the hi-hat more accessible and the toms much easier to reach when mounted to the bass drum. The only thing that might take a while to get used to is the snare placement which is actually between the pedals and requires the stand legs to be brought closer together to position it properly. Once you get used to this, you will be flying in no time. They are extremely smooth and both sides play exactly the same with no lag from the linkage. The beaters i don't know how, are perfect balance for it, the weight and size, they are lighter than iron cobra beaters (no joke) but also bigger and they really smack the head hard, plenty of power. The only places where the sleishman is disadvantaged are adjustment and beater replacement. You can adjust pretty much everything that you can on a normal pedal except being able to move the beater angle independently without moving the footboard angle which is a shame but not a big deal for me really and if you are wanting to use large beaters and you play them the full length of the shaft, there is not enough space between the two and they will knock together when playing which is a nuisance which is why the Sleishman beaters are perfect for the pedals.

Both pedals are expensive however i think you can find the Sleishman for cheaper than the demon drive if you search ebay.

Good luck
yeah...the demon I can find no cheaper than 669 Euro and the sleishman I find for 399/439 Euro.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM

you can ask will calhoun.....
he has a site and probably you can reach him to ask him a question.

and the sleishman is the fastest thing around....and with speed it still has enough power and punch. and that is not with all the pedals.
I think here in europe the axis is also double the price of a sleishman.
check www.twinpedal.com

grtz!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Christmas comes early......
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2010, 05:40 AM

Hm....i was wondering...if i wanted 2 bass drums on my set. One in the front with a normal double bass pedal, but another one on my right behind the floor toms.....could i buy one of these "symmetry pedals" and remove the right half of it.....so only one pedal hits the right bass drum? i could hit the left pedal with the right foot if that makes any sense??!?!?! On Thomas Lang's Sonor X ray kit, he did something similar to this i think but with Sonor giant step pedals..
Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 AM

http://web.mac.com/kleidy1/Off-Set/B...rum_Pedal.html

Take a look at these pedals! The prices are actually awesome
Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBIZKIT View Post
Hm....i was wondering...if i wanted 2 bass drums on my set. One in the front with a normal double bass pedal, but another one on my right behind the floor toms.....could i buy one of these "symmetry pedals" and remove the right half of it.....so only one pedal hits the right bass drum? i could hit the left pedal with the right foot if that makes any sense??!?!?! On Thomas Lang's Sonor X ray kit, he did something similar to this i think but with Sonor giant step pedals..
No, wouldn't work with the Sleishman ... at least not without a fair amount of modification. Better (and cheaper) approach would be get a "traditional" double pedal, and slave to your secondary kick. When you separate the Sleishman, the hoop clamp goes with the right half (I'm not quite sure what ATF is talking about), I'd pick up a used DW5000 double off eBay, and experiment. The Sonor, or the Off-Set, either of those will work, yes, but cost probably more.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
No, wouldn't work with the Sleishman ... at least not without a fair amount of modification. Better (and cheaper) approach would be get a "traditional" double pedal, and slave to your secondary kick. When you separate the Sleishman, the hoop clamp goes with the right half (I'm not quite sure what ATF is talking about), I'd pick up a used DW5000 double off eBay, and experiment. The Sonor, or the Off-Set, either of those will work, yes, but cost probably more.
http://web.mac.com/kleidy1/Off-Set/S...rum_Pedal.html

i think this is exactly what im looking for, and the price is surprisingly good. I think you can order custom length rods too.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Indeed, that would probably work. Good for Charlie Fisher (The Off-Set guy) to modularize his design to come up with various "other" designs, based upon his main idea.
Last time I saw Charlie (2008 NAMM, he had two lengths of drive shaft current.
I remember seeing White Lion years ago, and Greg D'Angelo had a stage kit, three floor toms in front, kick drums (2) far left and far right of his "center floors". He was, know doubt, using some type of slave-left and slave-right system.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:55 PM

I like the idea of the Sleishman not having a heel plate. But can the two foot boards be moved apart? Is there any adjustment to widen the distance between them?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imispgh View Post
I like the idea of the Sleishman not having a heel plate. But can the two foot boards be moved apart? Is there any adjustment to widen the distance between them?
Unfortunately not my friend, for a while I used these pedals and I still have them but the lack of adjustability is a major flaw with them. It has been a while since I wrote my comments on them and now I use a conventional double pedal again.

The major problems are:

You can't widen the pedals but you can make the footboard turn but this just makes it feel really strange.

No independent beater/ footboard adjustment. You can change the angle of the footboard to flat or 'angled' but that's it. Flat is usually good for fast drumming though.

If you like to have your beater further back then prepare for the footboard to go really high!

If you like to have your beaters at maximum length, make sure the beater heads are thin cause you won't stop them clanking off each other.

Also the snare placement can become a nightmare, you'll find your knees clanking off your snare and the beaters fly back and hit the stand or the legs might get caught under the footboards.

It's a nightmare to assemble on other peoples kits too for various reasons.

If you can position it and get used to its placement without any of these problems it can't be beaten for a chain driven pedal, it is fantastic and unbelievably fast especially because the chain links directly to the beater, it's almost direct drive without the piece of metal. These things give a wallop too especially at low effort but I just prefer my Falcon now I can get better placement options out of it.

I still wouldn't write them off despite these problems because you can get used to it, I played one for a bout a year and loved it but I found when I went back to a standard pedal I preferred that more even though I have had to sacrifice some speed, oh well.

Hope yours are working out for you though Harry, enjoy!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

The major problems are:

You can't widen the pedals but you can make the footboard turn but this just makes it feel really strange.

No independent beater/ footboard adjustment. You can change the angle of the footboard to flat or 'angled' but that's it. Flat is usually good for fast drumming though.

If you like to have your beater further back then prepare for the footboard to go really high!

If you like to have your beaters at maximum length, make sure the beater heads are thin cause you won't stop them clanking off each other.

Also the snare placement can become a nightmare, you'll find your knees clanking off your snare and the beaters fly back and hit the stand or the legs might get caught under the footboards.

It's a nightmare to assemble on other peoples kits too for various reasons.

If you can position it and get used to its placement without any of these problems it can't be beaten for a chain driven pedal, it is fantastic and unbelievably fast especially because the chain links directly to the beater, it's almost direct drive without the piece of metal. These things give a wallop too especially at low effort but I just prefer my Falcon now I can get better placement options out of it.

Holy frijoles slash man!

The beaters hitting the snare stand? With my 'settings-placement luck' I would no doubt have all these problems and probably find even more.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post

Hope yours are working out for you though Harry, enjoy!
And indeed they are. I knew, back in 2008, when I played 'em at the NAMM show, that they'd be fine by me. Took to 'em like a dog takes to water, so to speak.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM

I am looking at the Sleishman as well as the OFF-SET. I started drumming about 2 months ago, so I am by no means a pro. Seeing as I have certain requirements that need to be met for an enjoyable experience, the angles and available settings must suite my knees and ankles. Since I am just starting off, I figured now is the time to make the purchase and get used to it rather than waiting. I am working very hard at being completely ambidextrous, to the point that I am moving my hi-hats and bass drum every day and playing a left hand setup as well as a right (both open handed to ease stress on the shoulder). Ideally, my setup would include two bass drums, two standless high-hats, and a drum rack, but that is a bit much at this time. The reason I am posting this is because time would be saved daily by having a center drum setup, and time is money as we all know. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find measurements anywhere. Would someone who owns a Sleishman please measure the distance between the base of the floorboards and let me know. Any other measurements would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Hellwyck

Get an Iron Cobra and an X-Hat.

The pedals are good but a fad
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
Get an Iron Cobra and an X-Hat.

The pedals are good but a fad
they've been around since 1972 so much for the fad factor...lol I been thinking about this pedal also but they're $500-$600 pretty pricey.

Bonzolead
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 PM

Where can I get the Sleishman pedal in the UK?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Will Calhoun is playing one currently, and has for a few years.
I thought Will uses the Sonor version of the pedal.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
I thought Will uses the Sonor version of the pedal.
No, he left Sonor quite a few years ago. Currently, he's playing Mapex drums (Saturns) .... and the Sleishman.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

I've played around with one of these briefly.

I played some patterns alternating the leading foot (RLR LRL RLR LRL) and it was perfect really, very direct and equal as you'd expect. It was heavier, which is something I look for in a pedal (I don't like the weightless feel of the axis pedals). You could do great things with it.

On the negative side - I don't think I agree with the angles of the footboards. It assumes that you play with your feet turned outwards in line with your thighs. I play with my legs further apart and my feet parallel, which means that I turn them in (relative to my thighs) slightly and that's just where my legs like to go. Maybe I'm nitpicking but I would be pretty turned off if I was knocking my knees on my snare. To be fair I would need to spend more time with it to figure out whether this is actually a problem, it is a very good pedal. I would love to take one home and see how it would help my setup.

The strong Australian dollar def isn't doing you any favours. I think the sonor one looks very cool but sonor like to charge alot too.

I hope someone finds that helpful.