DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

Default Universal joints on pedal! >:(

Okay I have this issue with my double pedal.

It is a Tama standard double pedal (HP200 or something, very cheap, not to be confused with a Cobra).

I have noticed that my left pedal is significantly lagging behind the performance of my right pedal.

So I did a test; I pressed the left beater against the bass drum head (to kept it still) and jiggled the cam on the slave pedal, it moves loosely, roughly 0.5cm to 1cm back-and-forth.

This wasn't all, I had to find which piece was responsible, while jimmying the cam and observing the connecting drive shaft (moving with the cam), eventually I found out that there was quite a difference in the movement of the drive-shaft and that of the universal joints, the universal joints were causing it!

The ends of uni-joints would point in their respective directions but the two pieces of the joint could jiggle back and forth before the joint would catch and start to move the beater.

On close examination of the universal joints, there doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting the tension/tightness of the joints to avoid this lag-jiggle, no allen-key screws and no drum-key screws

I have considering up-grading to a better double pedal but I'm asking if there is anything I can do before I move onto the next step. What do I do about this problem?

Last edited by BassDriver; 10-21-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Universal joints on pedal! >:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
Okay I have this issue with my double pedal.

It is a Tama standard double pedal (HP200 or something, very cheap, not to be confused with a Cobra).

I have noticed that my left pedal is significantly lagging behind the performance of my right pedal.

So I did a test; I pressed the left beater against the bass drum head (to kept it still) and jiggled the cam on the slave pedal, it moves loosely, roughly 0.5cm to 1cm back-and-forth.

This wasn't all, I had to find which piece was responsible, while jimmying the cam and observing the connecting drive shaft (moving with the cam), eventually I found out that there was quite a difference in the movement of the drive-shaft and that of the universal joints, the universal joints were causing it!

The ends of uni-joints would point in their respective directions but the two pieces of the joint could jiggle back and forth before the joint would catch and start to move the beater.

On close examination of the universal joints, there doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting the tension/tightness of the joints to avoid this lag-jiggle, no allen-key screws and no drum-key screws

I have considering up-grading to a better double pedal but I'm asking if there is anything I can do before I move onto the next step. What do I do about this problem?

AKA lag, or play.... most drive shafts have it right out of the box. That style of shaft (pin/block) will progressively get worse as the playing hrs continue. The Iron Cobra shafts are garbage also. You could up-grade to a better shaft.

Axis makes a user adjustable shaft which can be snugged-up should it ever loosen.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Hey BD,

Dude, check my earlier post about "Gibraltar double pedal upgrade''--
I swear my pedal works better (and faster) than newer, more expensive ones in the music store

Double the shaft bearings!

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Dude, check my earlier post about "Gibraltar double pedal upgrade''--
I swear my pedal works better (and faster) than newer, more expensive ones in the music store

Double the shaft bearings!
Just a few days ago I put some machine oil onto the bearings (they run smoothly). It is definitely the drive-shaft universal-joints that are mucking up, if I'm move on to something else, I don't want to have the same problem.

Quote:
The Iron Cobra shafts are garbage also. You could up-grade to a better shaft.
Yeah, the model of my pedal is basically a less pimped-out version of the Iron Cobra.

Double pedal drive-shafts always have the same problem, more weight rests with the left pedal.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

I'm looking at the Pearl Demondrive, they say that the drive-shaft giives no lag, and instead of a chain the pedal uses direct-link.

All the review sound good, just hella expensive.

Anyone tried this pedal?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 AM

I have played the Demondrive before...It is a great pedal, but like mentioned, it is hella expensive! I was debating upon the Demon drive or the DW9002...I went with the DW because it had a more natural feeling than the Pearl did...I can also blast faster with it than I could with the Demons...Not to mention it was $200 cheaper!