DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Fiberskyn powerstroke

This is the only series that offers a diplomat weight powerstroke. I'm curious how they are.
Anyone played a P3 in fiber? How's the stick attack, how's the rebound and the sustain.

I sometimes see fiber P3 on reso kick but how are they as batters. Does a fiber kick reso considerably change the sound or is it only visual appeal.
I've heard negative comments about fiber on snares but don't recall the reasons.

I know their specs but I wanna hear a comment from someone who actually played fiber P3.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Fiberskyn powerstroke

I have a Fiberskyn P3 on the batter side of my Cherry/Gum Ludwig Element bass drum. No muffling inside the drum. Big warm "round" sound. Kinda cool.

I dunno if I'd want to use the PS3 flavor on toms, though.

-Ryan
Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

On a kick, is fiber a better choice as reso, as batter or on both sides? For a kick, do you go with Amb or P3 Amb? Won't a fiber reso completely kill the tone?

I want to try one on a snare. Now I have a coated P3 and it muffles just enough. Between fiber Amb and fiber P3 Dip, what is the better choice? I don't know how much muffling these heads need but a coated ambassador sounds too open and too loud to me.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

A lot of it depends on your shells. If you have thick shells of hard wood, these will produce more overtones and you will need to control them. Fiberskyns and thick heads are well suited for these kinds of shells. Bass drums, because of their size, tend to produce more overtones so Fiberskyns work well on them.

I have very thick, heavy, solid wood shells so overtone control is definitely an issue. I use Fiberskyns on batter side and coated Ambassadors on the reso side. I don't need to stuff towels, pillows or mattresses into my bass drum, yet I control sound because of thicker heads.

People who are killing the sound of their drums with pillows should try thicker heads instead. If you install thin, ringy heads, expect thin, ringy sound. Thick, solid heads will give a thick, solid sound.