DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 AM

Default New EC2

Has anyone played the new EC2? How are they?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Default Re: New EC2

If you are talking about the EC2 SST heads I have a set coming Wednesday. I'll let you know.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Noticeably better than the old version.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Yeah im talking about the EC2 SST. How are they compared to G2?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
Noticeably better than the old version.
In my humble opinion, they had no where to go but up... I did not like them at all.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Just to throw this out there, we just got a shipment of them in, and their cost is effectively lower than that of regular EC2s. Interesting to see the quality difference.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

I just got back from GC minutes ago where I played a Pearl Reference with the new EC2 heads and I thought they were horrible. Waaay too dead. But some people like that, I guess.

Myself, I'd rather use a G2 and dampen as necessary. I don't want to replace my head$ if I think they're too dead.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 AM

Musicians friend has SSTs at about $4 more than EC2s
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 AM

I just replaced my heads with EC2 SST's on the top and G1's for reso. They sound nice and dampened. I had ambassadors on them before, and the EC2's are a nice change.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:45 AM

I haven't heard these sst's, but I bought a set of regular coated ec2's . I put one on my 12" tom, and didnt even bother changing my 16". I put my G1 back on, it was that bad. Overkill with deadening.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:51 AM
Administrator

I put them on my toms last night and have been tweeking tonight. I have my four toms tightened just above wrinkle maybe 1/2 turn and they sound a little less resonate than the G2's I had on before. I will keep tweeking and get them right.

p.s. I am also using clear this time and my G2's were coated.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:30 AM

thanks for the responses. I'm going to GC after school tomarrow to pick up heads for my 12" tom I've already decieded that the reso head is going to be a G1 not sure about the batter yet.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Although slightly off thread, I use EC1's and they work very well on very resonant shells. Just the right level of dampening to keep things under control. I tried EC2's and found them to be too dead.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music is Awesome View Post
thanks for the responses. I'm going to GC after school tomarrow to pick up heads for my 12" tom I've already decieded that the reso head is going to be a G1 not sure about the batter yet.

Maybe take the tom with you and gently put the heads on and see how they sound. You can tap them with your knuckles to get an idea and leave no stick marks.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
If you are talking about the EC2 SST heads I have a set coming Wednesday. I'll let you know.
Did you fancy something new, or did you not like your coated G2's?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Love the G2's and will go back to them but wanted to try a clear head without a lot of ovretones.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

FWIW: I've had both the original clear EC2's and coated G2's (currently on there) on my YMCAN toms. I've enjoyed G2's more as I felt the EC2's were less resonant for my tastes.

IMHO, the Evans G Plus is somewhere between the two. It leans more toward the EC2 but has a bit more resonance. The G Plus come in clear and 'coated' - coated in this case being frosted and not traditional white coating like coated G2's have. I believe the clear versions of G Plus heads might be a good way to go for the OP.

FYI: My next change of tom heads for my stay at home YMCAN set is going to be either Aquarian Super 2's (2ply)or Satin Texture coated(single ply).
Old 10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Pioneer Member

I've had three sets of EC heads. A set of clear and frosted EC2s and a set of clear EC1s.

These heads need to be cranked up to at least medium tension. Drum Dial 75 or above. Then they start to sing and produce a nice tone.

HTH
Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Gold Member

I would stick with the clears. The frosty Evans coating sounds awful to my ears.

The kid is rocking EC1 clears playing rock unmiked, and they're terrific.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
I would stick with the clears. The frosty Evans coating sounds awful to my ears.

The kid is rocking EC1 clears playing rock unmiked, and they're terrific.
I have a coated G Plus on my 14" floor tom (got it for free when I bought my other heads, so I put the Coated Ambassador I originally had on the floor tom for not too long on my snare to replace my beat up Reverse CS Dot) , and while my experience with the coated EC2s matches your impression of Evans' frosty coating, I was quite surprised to hear that the Coated G Plus had less attack than even the Coated Ambassadors on the other toms.... Substantially less even.

I'm thinking next reskin I might go G Pluses top and bottom all around for toms. I think they're great.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I hear that. Especially with brushes, it sounds like your swooshing around on Tupperware. Although I've got the HD Genera Dry Head on my snare and the coating on that head sounds damn nice. I don't know maybe if Evans changed their coating from that translucent type they'd sound better.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I hear that. Especially with brushes, it sounds like your swooshing around on Tupperware. Although I've got the HD Genera Dry Head on my snare and the coating on that head sounds damn nice. I don't know maybe if Evans changed their coating from that translucent type they'd sound better.
I find the white Evans coating to be just fine. I don't know why I (and other drummers) hear the frosty coating as so different, given that Evans says they're the same except for the pigment, but there it is.

I know that if they made their EC1, EC2, and G-plus heads with the white coating I'd be all over them.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I find the white Evans coating to be just fine. I don't know why I (and other drummers) hear the frosty coating as so different, given that Evans says they're the same except for the pigment, but there it is.
I remember the Evans guys posting here a while back. They said the coating was the same as on the coated heads sans the titanium dioxide.

I worked as a chemical compounded for a few years. Titanium dioxide is a fairly heavy white powder that is commonly used as a pigment. It adds weight to any compound it is added to.

If if adds weight and increases the specific gravity of the compound then it's not exactly the same compound as one without it.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 AM

Thanks again for all the responses. I went with the G2 and I love it.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM

i didnt mind the EC2 when i used it
Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 PM

I just bought some the of EC2 SST heads for my 12" and 16" toms. I gotta say I was not too happy with the choked sound. I had coated G1 heads before. Now I now I should have gone for the clear G2.

Althought, I've been playing them more and I'm getting used to them. I can't afford to buy any new heads right now so I'm going to just play the hell out of these for a while.

They do produce a very focused, albeit short, tone. I had to tune them a bit higher than I'm used to just to get past the wrinkles. Because of this I can definately hear evey stroke from them, even when playing very fast. So, that's kind of neat.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I just bought some the of EC2 SST heads for my 12" and 16" toms. I gotta say I was not too happy with the choked sound. I had coated G1 heads before. Now I now I should have gone for the clear G2.
That's kind of the problem right there, you're comparing three different types of heads (1-ply, 2-ply, and 2-ply with built in muffling). Now if you're comparing for example an ambassador to a G1, or an EC2 to a Pinstripe that'd be fair. This thread would be more related to the EC2 vs EC2 SST head, which I reiterate the SST version sounds better. Sorry to bicker, but you mentioned you weren't happy with the choked sound, and all I could think was, "well... yeah, you went from a coated G1 to an EC2", that's going to be a drastic change in sound.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
That's kind of the problem right there, you're comparing three different types of heads (1-ply, 2-ply, and 2-ply with built in muffling). Now if you're comparing for example an ambassador to a G1, or an EC2 to a Pinstripe that'd be fair. This thread would be more related to the EC2 vs EC2 SST head, which I reiterate the SST version sounds better. Sorry to bicker, but you mentioned you weren't happy with the choked sound, and all I could think was, "well... yeah, you went from a coated G1 to an EC2", that's going to be a drastic change in sound.
Yeah, well I also admitted to that mistake in the same quote by saying that now know I should have gone with the G2. So here is my bicker to your bicker.

I was explaining my experience with the EC2 SSTs, not comparing it with the G1 heads, hence the following two paragraphs in my original post.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Yeah, well I also admitted to that mistake in the same quote by saying that now know I should have gone with the G2. So here is my bicker to your bicker.

I was explaining my experience with the EC2 SSTs, not comparing it with the G1 heads, hence the following two paragraphs in my original post.
That's some cold blooded bickering right there... here's to ya.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 PM

just got some clear ec2s sst, I have the g1s for resos, I see mostly everybody tunes them a litlle higher, was wondering are your resos tuned the same, lower, or higher with these heads?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Just did my first show with the EC2 SST heads, replacing a set of 'foil' EC2s I'd already done some shows with. I keep my resos tune slightly higher or about the same as the batter, it kind of depends where the batter wants to sing best after I've got the reso where I want it.

I find the SST version to speak a little better than the foil version, but that sort of means it doesn't have quite the fullness, either. I suspected as much when I first tried them last summer, and now I know for sure. It's not a bad thing, just not a very rich sound by comparison. They're more like a slightly mellow G2.

Bermuda
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 PM

I have them on both my Sonor kits and I love them. We also have them on our Yamaha Maple Absolute kit at church and all four drummers there agree that they are great heads.