DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-10-2009, 12:26 AM

Default recommended drum gloves for a burn victim

On Sept 6th I fell into a fire and severely burned my right hand. I'm recovering well and should be a week or so away from being able to not wear a bandage.

I've never played with gloves before, but the worst part of the burn occured in between my index finger and thumb, right where a stick would rest.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a pair of gloves that had great padding, especially there, but also weren't slippery as hell. Good ventilation is also kind of important.

I've been reading about the Triplet gloves with the loops built in and may go with those. If anyone here has played with them, how is the padding? I'm more concerned with comfort and not blistering/splitting open my new skin than I am being able to hold a stick, as my grip has come back fine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Default Re: recommended drum gloves for a burn victim

I am no doctor but would worry about one thing. As you are playing, is the glove going to rub on this area between the thumb and forefinger? Have you talked to your doctor about this? Maybe 2 x 2 gauze a few layers thick, taped on with silk or paper tape. I wish you the best.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I am no doctor but would worry about one thing. As you are playing, is the glove going to rub on this area between the thumb and forefinger? Have you talked to your doctor about this? Maybe 2 x 2 gauze a few layers thick, taped on with silk or paper tape. I wish you the best.
Haven't specifically spoken with him about it yet. I go back next Friday. I know they have something called pressure gloves or something for people who've burned their hands. I was going to ask him about that but was also wondering if there were drum gloves with excessive padding/support where you need it most. Especially if you've burned that part of your hand off. :)

The problem with just gauze and tape would be the sweating I think. I'll try anything though.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Agree, talk with your doctor first.

As for gloves, try professional driving gloves by Sparco www.sparcousa.com/racewear_gloves.asp . The Nomex breaths, they are very grippy in all the right places and the upper lines offer interesting padding techniques. While i do not suffer from any problems, got tired of hand damage and so tried the Sparco Tide gloves that are here (it was a 'free' leftover from my racing days) and they work great.

Humor: Guys, if you are a really HOT drummer you'll need Nomex gloves ;-)

Steven
www.THTST.com
Old 10-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Pioneer Member

I would definitely talk to your dr first and ask him all these questions and maybe take a stick with you so you can show him where contact points would be. I would have concern over the heat building up inside the gloves and the sweat causing problem with the healing process this early on. While I can completely understand the desire to want to play I'd be more concerned about my hand healing properly.

I know allot of guys use batting gloves, golf gloves for playing though they really don't have much padding in them they just provide grip and are traditionally cheaper than "drum specific" gloves.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be consulting with the doc first. He already knows I'm a drummer. I'll start getting specific with him about the dynamics of it and see if he feels I can ease back into it yet. Bringing a stick to the clinic is a great idea.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I am dying to play again but my priority now is taking care of my hand. I had to miss playing two pretty rad shows while on the mend and it sucked, but it would suck more to jump back into it and screw it up more.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:37 PM

The first thing that came in mind for you would be biking gloves. They may be thicker than drumming or batting gloves, but I think you'll want a bit more padding. They will definitely breathe well and have great cushioning.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Hi
Wish you a rapid recovery! One other comment..you may want to change your grip in that hand for a while.three options come to mind.. pinky grip,hand stick between 2nd and 3rd finger or use formal jazz left hand grip in your right hand.
I use the pinky grip for high strokes....I think that would work well. Denis
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisri View Post
Hi
Wish you a rapid recovery! One other comment..you may want to change your grip in that hand for a while.three options come to mind.. pinky grip,hand stick between 2nd and 3rd finger or use formal jazz left hand grip in your right hand.
I use the pinky grip for high strokes....I think that would work well. Denis
I have tried varying up my grip and formal jazz is the easiest to do without rubbing against anything that's still tender. I haven't tested this out on actual drums yet though, just pillows.

I'll take a stick to the doc's on Friday and show him how I'd like to grip it and see if he thinks I can gradually start doing that again.

Biking gloves look like a possibility. Looks like you can get them in various pad densities.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfulford2 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll definitely be consulting with the doc first. He already knows I'm a drummer. I'll start getting specific with him about the dynamics of it and see if he feels I can ease back into it yet. Bringing a stick to the clinic is a great idea.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I am dying to play again but my priority now is taking care of my hand. I had to miss playing two pretty rad shows while on the mend and it sucked, but it would suck more to jump back into it and screw it up more.
I would think that you would be looking for something in the athletic area as opposed to actually drumming gloves. The biking gloves mentioned elsewhere may be what you are looking for. I hope that you find something which works well for you and get back into drumming soon.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw