DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Diplomat Powerstroke 3

I'm gonna try a clear PS3 on my floor tom, which I believe will sound fantastic. The ring is much thinner than an O-ring and it doesn't press firmly against the head, allowing for a short sustain void of annoying ring.
However, a PS3 might be too muffled for my 10" tom. So what should I try?

My first guess is to go with PS3 and cut the ring in half if it dampens too much.

My other guess is a clear ambassador but I'm almost sure it will sound extremely open and ringy.

Third choice is a clear emperor but I don't like the feel of 2 ply heads.

The perfect head would be a thinner diplomat PS3 like Fyberskin has but unfortunatelty there's no such option in the weatherking line. Powerstrokes don't get much attention and I believe they're very underrated heads. I'd also like to hear your experience with PS3 tom batters.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Diplomat Powerstroke 3

I have a coated PS3 on my 13" floor tom (Manu Katche Gig Kit) and it sounds excellent. I also have a coated PS3 on the 10" tom. It's all about personal taste and how you tune it. If you like the way it sounds it will reflect in your playing. Try it and leave any preconceptions at the door. If you don't like it, then take it from there. I really like the coated PS3. Have you tried the Ambassador Fiberskyn? That may work for you. Also, the Aquarian single-ply texture-coated head is very nice. Again, it's all about personal taste!