DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

Default Ludwig Colesum Snare

I have this snare and didn't even know it was a coleseum until today. Does anyone know anymore about the snare then what is stated here? I assume it's a maple snare, but I reallly don't know. It"s a great snare except for the throw off which sucks. I never would have guessed it had this kind of value. I got it with a Rocker kit I bought for next to nothing in the mid 80's from a drum shop that was going out of business.I did try googling for more info but I didn't find much and nothing more then what's in this ad.Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-LUDWIG-Pro-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Ludwig Colesum Snare

The classic Coliseum is the slotted version, which is rarer and can easily fetch $600 or more in nice condition. But the standard version in the auction - even with the die-cast marching hoops - is pushing it at $695 IMO, especially in the current economy. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for less than $450, if the seller is smart enough to take it if offered.

Bermuda
Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Here's a couple pics I got from LVDC (whom I haven't seen on the forum lately... anybody know where he is?) I agree with Bermuda: for the condition, this auction is WAY overpriced.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Bermuda and Crispy,

Thanks for the information. First I've seen of the slotted version. My snare does not have the cast hoops, but I prefer Ludwigs triple flange hoops to their cast hoops.. I've seen either this or simalar ads, but nowhere can I find what the wood is. The best I can find is "6 ply select veneers." The inner ply appears to be maple, but from the edge it appears to have darker wood in it also. It is a great sounding snare.

I noticed in the ad the strainer has holes for strings. The p-85 on my drum is set up for a strap rather then strings? As I said, the strainer sucks. I have to push up on the bottom for it to work. Otherwise it locks up and won't lift the snare wires.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

The slotted version is rarer, and so it's sought after by those who want that kind of thing. I think that must be one helluva loud snare, though. I had a chrome over maple version that was super loud already.

I don't know any more about the woods. I know mine was all maple, but the one in the catalog pic says it's mahogany. Is that just the veneer? I don't know. The guy that could help you out with this is Ludwigvondrumcrazy (LVDC), but like I said, I haven't seen him around in the forum for quite a while. (Again: does anyone know what has become of LVDC?) He is one of the most knowledgable Ludwig experts on the forum.

The strainer I can help you with... The one you mention in the pics is just an older version of Ludwig's P-85 throwoff. The newer ones have a clamp like yours. You can use the clamp type with strings, also.

You have a couple of options: Get a new P-85 to replace it. You can get them online or at any good drum store.

Or get a retrofit throwoff. The P-85 isn't really very good and a lot of people hate it. Just make sure to get one that has the same size mounting holes, so you don't have to drill. You can also use a mounting plate between the drum and throwoff if the holes don't match. There's a lot on that subject in previous threads. In fact, there's a guy here on the forum that sells them, but his name escapes me. Do a search for words like: retrofit, supraphonic, Trick, to turn that stuff up.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM

The mahogany is just referring to the color of the finish, not the type of wood. These 6 ply shells had alternating plies of maple and poplar, which is the darker wood. The inner and outer plies on these were always maple.

And that one in the ebay ad is way overpriced. That snare has been on ebay for months. Strange thing is, the price on that a month or 2 ago was 495$ or something.

The p 85 is a pretty clunky strainer. There just seems to be some kind of design flaw that makes it stick that they just don't seem to address, kind of like the 'ol Speed King squeak. I think they'd be better off going back to the p 83 design, just with the more modern cord/strap connector.