DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Ringing cymbals

I'm wanting some new cymbals (as always :P) and to arrange them with the stands i've got i would need to clamp one on a bracket on the tom arm. Is there any way I can put a cymbal there without it ringing unhelpfully whenever I hit the bass drum?
We tried it with the band and you can still hear it.. Is it just that I need a better quality bracket? Or can I felt it or something?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ringing cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_hit_it View Post
I'm wanting some new cymbals (as always :P) and to arrange them with the stands i've got i would need to clamp one on a bracket on the tom arm. Is there any way I can put a cymbal there without it ringing unhelpfully whenever I hit the bass drum?
We tried it with the band and you can still hear it.. Is it just that I need a better quality bracket? Or can I felt it or something?
The culprit here is metal to metal contact. It transmits those unhelpful vibrations so well.

Find a piece of thin rubber or foam rubber no more than 1/8" in thickness, cut a strip as wide as the clamp, and then wrap it around the tom arm. Then tighten the clamp over it. This may not be a 100% solution, but it should isolate the cymbal a little.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
The culprit here is metal to metal contact. It transmits those unhelpful vibrations so well.

Find a piece of thin rubber or foam rubber no more than 1/8" in thickness, cut a strip as wide as the clamp, and then wrap it around the tom arm. Then tighten the clamp over it. This may not be a 100% solution, but it should isolate the cymbal a little.
ooh thanks :) i'l try it later
Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 AM

Ok i was in the exact situation that you are in now. wanting more cymbals but don't want to spend the money of 60 dollar stands. my solution for you that worked extremely well for is to buy single cymbal holders that clamp on to your existing stands.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/wcsst.../ST078CH70.jpg

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/eu/news/pr...-leaf-P4-A.jpg

these will allow you to attach multiple cymbals and arrange them on one stand. at one time i had 4 cymbals and 2 toms mounted on one stand so it is possible. just look into the ones made by pearl or tama. they usually run pretty cheap and will last a long time. really good for mounting crash cymbals and smaller. probly not ideal for rides and chinas though.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Aaron - I have said clamp, I just need to put one on the tom arm instead of off a stand :) I'm running out of space on my current stands...