DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Default DW kit with X shells and VLT shells

Hey all,
I have been a Yamaha guy now for some 25 years. I love their drums and have had many kits. Three recording custom kits and most recently, an absolute maple custom nouveau kit. Well, after Yamaha decided to discontinue the nouveau lugs and possibly the maple custom line altogether, I was a little dissapointed and started to look around a bit. I had always been intrigued by DW drums since they are quite visible with pro drummers, plus I have a studio legend drumming friend, Gene Crissman, who played on Elvis's early records that just got endorsed by DW and loves the kit he has. I also have some friends that play them and have heard them first hand. The shell technology was intriguing to me with the X shells and VLT shells, so I decided to sell my Yamaha kit and go for a DW kit. Man, am I glad I did. The X shells do what they say they do. There is a considerable amount of low end richness to the kick drum. More than the Yamaha mca kick drum. The toms were the same, deep full and punchy, and the tuning of the drums was as easy as I've ever come across on a kit. The craftsmanship was flawless and the little touches like the welcome gift box and the attention to detail on the hardware and bass drum claws in particular was very cool. The Yamaha kit was very nice and the DW kit and the Yamaha kit sound similar, but for me, I gotta give it to the DWs for overall sound. They sound killer and I'm very happy with them. Here are some pics and the specs:

DW collector's series kit in broken glass finish ply
22x18 virgin kick drum with the "X" shell
12x9 tom with the "VLT" shell
16x14 floor tom with the "X" shell
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Re: DW kit with X shells and VLT shells

Very nice! I would love to try out the VLT snare. I hear good things.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM

Sweet kit. Welcome to the family. :)
Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

BRUTUS, HOW COULD YOU ???!!!!!!!

Kidding......

... happy that you're happy with your new kit, Clint. As you know, I did go out looking for a Dub and came back with a yammie, when I got my kit. Strangely, I've never found a Dub I liked. I recorded with one in NYC this summer.. ( didnt care for it too much either.. a little to non-resonant for me, all of them.. )

.. but there is no nicer feeling to hear someone so excited about their new kit. She looks really pretty and classic..

happy music making bud, and hope you are doing well.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
BRUTUS, HOW COULD YOU ???!!!!!!!

Kidding......

... happy that you're happy with your new kit, Clint. As you know, I did go out looking for a Dub and came back with a yammie, when I got my kit. Strangely, I've never found a Dub I liked. I recorded with one in NYC this summer.. ( didnt care for it too much either.. a little to non-resonant for me, all of them.. )

.. but there is no nicer feeling to hear someone so excited about their new kit. She looks really pretty and classic..

happy music making bud, and hope you are doing well.
Hey Aydee,
I know, I'm surprised at myself as well. Recording in NYC huh? Pretty awesome my friend, I hope it went well. You know, I've heard some local guys play DW kits, not with the new shell technology mind you, and they sounded OK, but nothing that really jumped out at me. This summer we opened for Eddie Money and his drummer had a DW kit and the kick drum was sweet..alot deeper and more present than my Yamaha kick. It was an X shell drum. He had all of his toms all taped up to kill ring, yeah, go figure...a pro guy like that with all that outboard gear and he had duct tape all over his toms...anyway, I have a friend who works at my local drumstore and he was raving about these X shells and VLT shells from DW. Well, I played them in the store and they really sounded nice. A little more low end presence and all the resonance you would want from a tom. They sounded very similar to my Yammies, but with a tad more low end in the kick drum and a little bit in the toms. Overall, I was impressed and they sounded way better than any DW kits I had heard locally. Maybe it's the tuning as you know I'm a fanatic about that. I dialed them in pretty quick and they sound great. I know you would agree if you sat behind them. I'm not saying they're better than my Yammies, just different in a pleasing way to my ear. Thanks for sharing in my happiness with the kit. I appreciate it. Take care my friend, hope all is well.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 AM

nice
i love DWs, and I appreciate the simplicity of your kit

i see all these other members that post their monster kits, while the majority of them can't even unlock their potential, not to mention they have begginer cymbals and hardware which tells me they just have a big kit to have a big kit.

so rock out for me on that beautiful work of art that is your DWs :)