DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Monica McCoy's Avatar
Monica McCoy Monica McCoy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 480
Default Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47yxLg2RyXM
__________________
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Thaard's Avatar
Thaard Thaard is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,572
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Not the best from that concert imo, but still good. Hope he has improved his slouching, or he'll have problems with his back.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 PM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

No one does what he does better than he does, but the poor bastard can't swing to save his life. That's cool, not everybody can.

And memo to Neil: bring a coated snare batter next time.

Here, try this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Y42cexum4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 AM
ChrisCirino's Avatar
ChrisCirino ChrisCirino is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kansas City. MO
Posts: 168
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

I'm a huge Neil fan but you hit it right on the head, the man can't swing. You would think after lessons with Freddy Gruber and Peter Erskine he'd have gotten a little better. Neil, For the sake of your fans please give up your big band quest.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 AM
nickg's Avatar
nickg nickg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sharon PA, USA
Posts: 598
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

how ironic that the one putting the whole "Swingin' With Buddy" thing is the only one that CAN'T swing.

what's next....asking Charlie Watts to do a "Speedin' With Lamb of God" tribute???
__________________
Mapex Pro-M kit
Paiste Cymbals
Attack Heads
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 AM
JPW JPW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 818
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

It's a tribute, why can't you make a tribute to someone without being an exact clone of someone? I understand he doesn't quite swing the way the 'true' swingers do but again, it's a tribute.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 PM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Wow,


A lot of haters out there.

How 'bout this...


You're not used to seeing NP playing big band?

Ever think of that? You'd have the same reaction to Peter Erskine trying to play prog. Or Elvin Jones trying to play hard rock.

Not that they can't, but it's not the genre we're used to seeing that particular drummer playing.

Can't you just appreciate what he does, and the fact that why he does it is because it's a tribute to his hero, Buddy Rich.

And I'm sorry but the video that Monica linked has a fantastic solo in it. Just because he plays "matched" grip throughout this performance, doesn't mean he doesn't "swing".

Don't be so shallow, y'all!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Brian Blade swings like Hell and plays with matched grip. I don't think matched grip is the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2009, 02:56 PM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 2,007
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
No one does what he does better than he does, but the poor bastard can't swing to save his life. That's cool, not everybody can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCirino View Post
I'm a huge Neil fan but you hit it right on the head, the man can't swing.
Guys, I'm curious because swing and jazz feels are the weakest areas of my drumming. Excluding his solo where he "Buddy Rich"s all around the kit, in the beginning of the video, is it his ride beat that lacks any swing? I thought he had a pretty decent triplety swing ride beat going on. Or is it his overall sound, bass, snare and ride beat that is not swinging.

I'm not particularly pro or con on Neil Peart. I like Rush and I've always enjoyed his drumming so I want to skip the Peart argument.

What is it specifically that is lacking in his swing? Defining swing is a little bit to me now, like the words groove and pocket used to be to me 20 years ago. You get it when you get it but with swing, I don't get it yet.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Swing is drive. At least, in this case it is. Behind a big band you've got to be pushing forward. If you watch Bisonette (and I'm not a particular fan of him, either) you can see that he's really driving that band forward. Watch the Peart video and you see he's playing the right notes, but the feel is wrong. He's playing on the beat and not an inch ahead or behind. Essentially it's the interaction of the ride with the rest of the band. Look for some good Mel Lewis videos and you'll see some real swing. Watch some of Buddy's stuff (not a particular fan again) and you'll see some real swing. Sooner or later, you'll feel the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
ChrisCirino's Avatar
ChrisCirino ChrisCirino is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kansas City. MO
Posts: 168
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Neil is arguable the most influential drummer of the last 25 years and a man I greatly admire for his exploits both on and off the kit. This does not however blind me to the fact that he does not do everything well. I don't think anyone is being "shallow" in voicing their fairly humorous opinions of Neil's mediocre playing at this show. I'm a metal guy and I couldn't play with a big band if I tried. That being said, he's been trying to become a big band drummer for the last 20 years. From the original Buddy concerts in the early 90's (the video that's posted), the Burnin' for Buddy sessions, his terrible Test for Echo Freddy Gruber makeover, his longtime Two O'Clock Jump solo and the latest BRM show in 2008 (I personally liked the BB version of YYZ from this show). I know there are Peart zealots out there who think the man is infallible. One need only to count the Neil clones on youtube laboring away in their basements with replica kits to post another obscure note for note track from Presto. Neil lovers and haters alike should acknowledge, no matter how hard he tries, no matter what his intention, this just isn't his thing. Lets just hope that no one ever posts a video of Elvin playing "Cygnus X-1" or Erskine playing "By-Tor and the Snow Dog".

Last edited by ChrisCirino; 09-27-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 11,176
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

I have had this argument before with some drummers about Neil's big band playing. I have the BMG Buddy Rich Tribute CD in my collection.
Although I can tell that Neil is out of his element when playing this form of music. I still enjoyed it! I take it for what it is. A rock drummer playing a different genre! I found it interesting, especially when I listen to the whole album with all of the other drummers on the same CD along with Neil.
Its kind of like watching the British Golf Open and seeing the pros struggle to the point of club throwing! It makes me feel good to know that pro people aren't perfect and I admire them when they push themselves.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 09-27-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2009, 05:52 PM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Wow, A lot of haters out there.
This is just silly. Hate? Perhaps you're one of those who mistakes disagreement for intolerance. I prefaced my remarks with "No one does what he does better."

Pretty hateful!

Quote:
You're not used to seeing NP playing big band?

Ever think of that? You'd have the same reaction to Peter Erskine trying to play prog. Or Elvin Jones trying to play hard rock.
And we can predict the reaction of others! Cool! Gonna try for the trifecta?

Oh, and I hate to break this to you, but Erskine was drummer for Weather Report for several years, and "prog" is just another name for "fusion" but with less soloing.

Quote:
Not that they can't, but it's not the genre we're used to seeing that particular drummer playing.

Can't you just appreciate what he does, and the fact that why he does it is because it's a tribute to his hero, Buddy Rich.
Well, Bissonette has recorded and toured with dozens of top rock acts, yet he nails the sh!t out of the BR tribute. You see, he can actually do it.

Quote:
And I'm sorry but the video that Monica linked has a fantastic solo in it. Just because he plays "matched" grip throughout this performance, doesn't mean he doesn't "swing".
And using trad grip and having the ability to swing are related how, exactly? Trifecta!

Quote:
Don't be so shallow, y'all!
Good advice. I'll try not to let my appreciation for drummers who actually can transcend their specialty color my appreciation for those who, alas, can't. Never occurred to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCirino View Post
Neil is arguable the most influential drummer of the last 25 years and a man I greatly admire for his exploits both on and off the kit. This does not however blind me to the fact that he does not do everything well.
Exactly. Very few drummers do everything well (Bissonette may be an exception), including myself. If I tried Neil's licks I would crash and burn. As a result, you won't find me making the attempt while cameras are rolling.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Oh, and I hate to break this to you, but Erskine was drummer for Weather Report for several years, and "prog" is just another name for "fusion" but with less soloing.
Man. That's a great line. Had me absolutely and utterly cracking up with that one!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Swing is drive. At least, in this case it is. Behind a big band you've got to be pushing forward. If you watch Bisonette (and I'm not a particular fan of him, either) you can see that he's really driving that band forward. Watch the Peart video and you see he's playing the right notes, but the feel is wrong. He's playing on the beat and not an inch ahead or behind. Essentially it's the interaction of the ride with the rest of the band. Look for some good Mel Lewis videos and you'll see some real swing. Watch some of Buddy's stuff (not a particular fan again) and you'll see some real swing. Sooner or later, you'll feel the difference.

There's more to it than that and here's the problem I clearly picked up on listening to his ensemble playing in the clip. Everything he plays is heavily dictated on the heavily placed down beats to my ear making his swing beat sound heavy and static in motion {or lack of forward motion in this case}. There's no sense of real syncopation or a light bounce, buoyancy or natural flow with his swing feel giving the music the much needed lift in this type of musical setting.

The chops are great but the heavy emphasis and placement of the beats doesn't give the music the "floating forward feeling" a seasoned jazz player knows how to achieve putting the right degree of emphasis on the weaker parts of the various resolution points in a bar of beats which is one of a few important elements missed in his interpretation of how to play swing in a true fashion especially in a traditional Big Band situation like this.

Great chops but missing the musical interpretation of achieving that certain swing feel and feeling that doesn't meet up right for the music at hand in this case..........
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
There's more to it than that and here's the problem I clearly picked up on listening to his ensemble playing in the clip. Everything he plays is heavily dictated on the heavily placed down beats to my ear making his swing beat sound heavy and static in motion {or lack of forward motion in this case}. There's no sense of real syncopation or a light bounce, buoyancy or natural flow with his swing feel giving the music the much needed lift in this type of musical setting.

The chops are great but the heavy emphasis and placement of the beats doesn't give the music the "floating forward feeling" a seasoned jazz player knows how to achieve putting the right degree of emphasis on the weaker parts of the various resolution points in a bar of beats which is one of a few important elements missed in his interpretation of how to play swing in a true fashion especially in a traditional Big Band situation like this.

Great chops but missing the musical interpretation of achieving that certain swing feel and feeling that doesn't meet up right for the music at hand in this case..........
That's what I was trying to say, but that's a much better way of putting it.

I thought of a good analogy earlier. Imagine you have the best story in the World being read by somebody with absolutely no change in diction or dramatic word emphasis. Now imagine a mediocre book being read by somebody with real passion and flair. Which would you enjoy more? In my case, probably the latter.

In this instance, Peart represents the former.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,811
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

QUOTE: Great chops but missing the musical interpretation of achieving that certain swing feel and feeling that doesn't meet up right for the music at hand in this case..........
__________________

Just from too many years of playing only rock.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 AM
mrmike's Avatar
mrmike mrmike is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monroe, Washington
Posts: 709
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

A bit heavy handed when playing to the music. Great solo in the Peart fashion. I always get the feeling there is not much improv when I watch Peart but I would imagine some parts are improvised. Nice to see him play a small kit even if he didn't scrap the double pedal.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Garvin's Avatar
Garvin Garvin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern USA
Posts: 1,953
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Ha! Definitely NOT swinging... This video reminds me of that one someone posted of the robot that was programmed to play Giant Steps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VJM...rom=PL&index=3... This guy is placing notes like a machine, not swinging... This is one of the most efficient solos I've seen, as though it were ordered by a mid-twentieth century dictator.

I have nothing against him personally, but I think everyone is right on the money about his inability to swing. Some folks just can't.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 AM
mrmike's Avatar
mrmike mrmike is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monroe, Washington
Posts: 709
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

This just re-affirms just how great someone like Bill Bruford is. One of the few to make the cross over from rock to jazz convincingly.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmike
This just re-affirms just how great someone like Bill Bruford is. One of the few to make the cross over from rock to jazz convincingly.
I admit bias because BB is a big fave of mine but it took Bill Bruford years to be broadly accepted by the jazz world, probably not helped by his penchant for doing imaginative, kooky things like playing electronic drums as a melodic instrument in jazz tunes :) Whatever, Bill was never keen on fitting too cleanly into genre because his interest lay mostly in the areas lying between jazz and rock, tho not the standard fusion style.

Bill always tended to have a light touch for a rock drummer and his strokes got lower and lower as his career progresses (his mic'ing must have been excellent) so there was probably less of a jump to jazz than for Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
I have nothing against him personally, but I think everyone is right on the money about his inability to swing. Some folks just can't.
If Neil can achieve what he did in the video without a lot of experience, I suspect that with practice he'd be fine - he's a monster. Do you feel than anyone can swing if they put in the listening and playing time? Or is there something intrinsic within people that decides their swinging potential? My guess is that the answer is both.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Garvin's Avatar
Garvin Garvin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern USA
Posts: 1,953
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Do you feel than anyone can swing if they put in the listening and playing time? Or is there something intrinsic within people that decides their swinging potential? My guess is that the answer is both.
I personally think that if you dedicate yourself, you can pretty much teach yourself to do anything... I have met old-school dudes who've played with Wes Mongomery, Coltrane etc... (old drummers from the chitlin circuit) who say either you're born with it or you aren't.

Either way, someone with Neil Peart's profile and experience would certainly have had the time and hopefully the interest to invest some amount of time in learning the essential feel of jazz swing. Assuming he put his time in, I personally think he falls short in his execution in terms of the feel.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

He's certainly capabile of learning to do it. It's not about chops but about understanding the approach and language of syncopation as applied to jazz drumming which I covered in a earlier post.

Anyone truthfully to some degree or another can learn to play swing. Two things you have to do though first to move in the right direction. LISTEN to tons of the actual music to absorb the sound and elements of it through an intuitive listening process and find a good teacher who will focus on the essential elements of what makes for a good swing playing approach be it small ensemble or Big Band which is NOT about chops but understanding certain concepts with playing the instrument.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,811
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
This just re-affirms just how great someone like Bill Bruford is. One of the few to make the cross over from rock to jazz convincingly.
Was it not Steve Smith that went from Jazz to rock to Jazz
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 AM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Was it not Steve Smith that went from Jazz to rock to Jazz

Yes.....................
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 AM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 2,007
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Was it not Steve Smith that went from Jazz to rock to Jazz
I am sorry GruntersDad,

Your posts are relevant yet marvelously diminished to side speak as I admire the gorgeousness of each and every new nubile avatar that appears every week.

My apologies. Yes NP is good but does not swing like a Tampa Bay dinga aling.

Uummmmm.

You are killing me.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 AM
mrmike's Avatar
mrmike mrmike is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monroe, Washington
Posts: 709
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

In Neils defense, Buddy was even farther away from playing rock. In remember Will Lee once describing Buddy's rock playing as corny. Of course sense Buddy never practiced in his entire life, his rock playing never developed. Now that I think of it, Neils swing is a bit corny.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Michael McDanial Michael McDanial is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Windy City
Posts: 288
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

I don't believe in the whole "you're either born with it or not" mentality. A lot of jazz drummers I know have said they learned to swing from growing up listening to jazz and spending a lot of time paying close attention to the greats that came before them. I think more than anything it's that passion for the music. These guys were all very passionate about jazz from an early age. I'm sure a lot of great rock drummers are the same way.

I highly respect Neil and really enjoy his playing, but he hasn't got that swing feel. Of course, that doesn't mean that Neil couldn't learn how to swing. He seems to enjoy big band playing, so he certainly might get it down eventually. It's a lot harder to be playing rock for decades and then try and play jazz. Neil obviously enjoys jazz, so by all means, I hope he keeps trying.

There's nothing hateful about saying that Neil doesn't swing in the video, because he plainly doesn't. Just because he's one of the all-time greats doesn't mean that he's beyond criticism. The term "hater" is thrown around way too much nowadays. It's a word that people use because they don't like someone else criticizing somebody who they like. 'You're criticizing a drummer that I really like, so that makes you a hater.'

I don't know where the whole matched grip thing came from. I didn't see anybody on here making a claim that he doesn't swing because he plays with a matched grip. Max Roach switched to matched grip in the sixties, and who the hell would say that Max didn't swing?

If you need a good example of what it is to swing, check out Bobby Durham on this video playing with Oscar Peterson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr6ZZxb3G4

Last edited by Michael McDanial; 11-28-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 AM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 2,007
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Wow. Marvelous. I'm starting to get it. Swing it forward and fast; push the music but just a little. So great. I'm going to watch all those YouTube clips with Oscar and others.

Oh shit, I'm a rock, blues and pop guy but I'm gonna get into this swing thing now.

That was a great link. Thanks.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,339
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica McCoy View Post
Peart has said numerous times he hated his own performance that day.

He has said his motivation behind making the Burning for Buddy CDs was to make up for how badly he played on that particular concert.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 AM
joeybeats joeybeats is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 614
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Have to jump in here because I'm bored. A couple thoughts, some on point and a couple off.

-- I agree NP doesn't swing and thought so from the first moment I viewed these BR dvd's a few years ago. He sounds like NP of Rush at all times. Glad you guys brought it up cause I wouldn't have had the sticks to say so.

-- Watch some of the guys in the BR band as they watch these guys sit in. Come to your own conclusion of what they are thinking! Hahaha

-- Probably one of the few guys who could sit in and pull a swingin BR session? Our very own Bermuda.

Nobody plays like Buddy and that is something that really can't be ignored. He had power, speed and technique that no one has been able to duplicate. And even if someone matched the speed or technique, or whatever, they haven't been able to obtain all three at the same time. Even these drum gods we are speaking of, none of them match those specific particulars of Buddy. Big deal. They play great anyway because they play their own style.
So, even when guys like Roach or Jo or Mel or Blakey or any of the bop/jazz gods, they swing and they couldn't sound like, or play like buddy either. It is hard enough to get your own style down. And that is how it is with all of this very tough stuff. The easy stuff, like old rock, anybody can play it. The tough stuff? Forget it.

I say Bermuda can do it (or at least a reasonable chance) because he has made a niche career at covering all of the styles and he has an ear and technique to do it. But very few people, NP included, have the skills or desire necessary to drop their own style, take on another, and avoid subconsciously allowing their own to trickle back in. Particularly for one or two sessions. My opinion. Joey
__________________
My Kit . . .

Last edited by joeybeats; 09-28-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM
jeffwj's Avatar
jeffwj jeffwj is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,046
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Man - check out the late vocalist, Mel Torme on Drums playing the same tune, Cottontail. It is a different arrangement, but Torme does a fine job. Torme seems very influenced by Buddy Rich's playing on Tommy Dorsey's Hawaiian War Chant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEeAS4poGDA

Jeff
__________________
Johnson Drum Instruction - Drum Lessons in Richmond, VA
Author of "The Level System"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Nobody plays like Buddy and that is something that really can't be ignored. He had power, speed and technique that no one has been able to duplicate. And even if someone matched the speed or technique, or whatever, they haven't been able to obtain all three at the same time. Even these drum gods we are speaking of, none of them match those specific particulars of Buddy. Big deal. They play great anyway because they play their own style.
My money would be on Dennis Chambers, Vinnie, Billy Cobham and Dave Weckl. I could be wrong bit I find it hard to imagine anything that's beyond those guys.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Deltadrummer's Avatar
Deltadrummer Deltadrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,681
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Here's a clip of Sammy Davis playing drums . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDil65nfPc
__________________
Ken Marino Drum Teacher "It's not worth keeping score. You win some. You lose some, you let it go"
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 AM
joeybeats joeybeats is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 614
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
Man - check out the late vocalist, Mel Torme on Drums playing the same tune, Cottontail. It is a different arrangement, but Torme does a fine job. Torme seems very influenced by Buddy Rich's playing on Tommy Dorsey's Hawaiian War Chant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEeAS4poGDA

Jeff
Mel Swings like heck in that song. Love the Velvet Fog. Thanks for that. You do know he was good friends with BR and no one has ever written about the way BR played a single stroke roll as he did in Traps. Best description I've ever read and worth the price of the book. He still doesn't sound like BR. But he swings and plays for sure. A+ stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Here's a clip of Sammy Davis playing drums . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDil65nfPc
Awesome Sammy Davis Jr video. He was an amazing talent and swung that tune for sure. Thanks for that.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
My money would be on Dennis Chambers, Vinnie, Billy Cobham and Dave Weckl. I could be wrong bit I find it hard to imagine anything that's beyond those guys.
I've seen Chambers and Weckl, Gadd too. They all sucked IMO in the BR tapes. They can swing. They just didnt swing like BR did when they had the chance. When they play his big band tunes, it just doesn't ring true to me. Good stuff, just off the mark. Doesn't mean worthless. Just worth less. Joey
__________________
My Kit . . .

Last edited by joeybeats; 09-28-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post



I've seen Chambers and Weckl, Gadd too. They all sucked IMO in the BR tapes. They can swing. They just don't swing like BR did and when they play his big band tunes, and just doesn't ring true to me. Good stuff, just off the mark. Doesn't mean worthless. Just worth less. Joey

Hello! That's a pretty disrespectful point of view IMO. I've heard the Dennis Chambers BR tribute clips in particular and no he doesn't swing like Buddy, that's not the point. He swings like Dennis and he sure intensely swings and burns lighting a serious fire under the band and the soloist like no tomorrow with full intent,authority and conviction setting up the figures and the music as a whole. Buddy would be proud :}

If this sucks I give up.......

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/d...ancingmen.html

Get a grip on reality.......
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

More Dennis simply being Dennis swinging his butt off clearly in full control of the drivers seat for Buddy. Smokin! :

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/d...stersadie.html
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 AM
joeybeats joeybeats is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 614
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Hello! That's a pretty disrespectful point of view IMO. I've heard the Dennis Chambers BR tribute clips in particular and no he doesn't swing like Buddy, that's not the point. He swings like Dennis and he sure intensely swings and burns lighting a serious fire under the band and the soloist like no tomorrow with full intent,authority and conviction setting up the figures and the music as a whole. Buddy would be proud :}

If this sucks I give up.......

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/d...ancingmen.html

Get a grip on reality.......
Sorry, sounds like another guy at another taping of another Modern Drummer DVD to me. He doesn't swing for me in that video. No big deal. Five percent of the kids at Berklee or on this board have chops like that. It doesn't swing for me and I think Buddy would puke if he heard it. He'd sure swear and cuss anyway. My reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
More Dennis simply being Dennis swinging his butt off clearly in full control of the drivers seat for Buddy. Smokin! :

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/d...stersadie.html
Closer. Much better! Joey


Joey
__________________
My Kit . . .
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

[quote=joeybeats;617374]Sorry, sounds like another guy at another taping of another Modern Drummer DVD to me. He doesn't swing for me in that video. No big deal. Five percent of the kids at Berklee or on this board have chops like that. It doesn't swing for me and I think Buddy would puke if he heard it. He'd sure swear and cuss anyway. My reality. Joey[/QUOTE


Sorry can't help you since you haven't get a depth of a clue what you are talking about........ good luck........ later :{
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Thaard's Avatar
Thaard Thaard is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,572
Default Re: Neil Peart Plays Buddy Rich

Theres no use discussing with fans of Neil Peart and Buddy Rich(or other high profiled drummers). They will always be as fanatical and refuse other opinions. Just look at youtube and see how many people say "He was ok but Neil Peart/Buddy Rich Is GOD OMG". Even if it's Buddy Rich vs Vinnie, how can you compare?

Whats great about the BR tapes is that people who are inspired by BR do their own versions of old BR tracks and therefore making them special. But they also take/borrow some licks from Buddy which makes it more authentic. Problemt is that even if it's not 100% like BR played them, they(the tunes) should have a certain feel and quality. Therefore NP did a not so good job, since he played with too much leverage and not enough swing(too proggy perhaps). It doesnt make him a lesser drummer all in all but he could've done a better job on his swing feel.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com