DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Silver Member

Default Whats the best after market hoops.

I am looking to try out some die cast hoops on a Slingerland maple snare and was wondering if there is any difference in quality between Gibraltar and Cannon or possibly other options. The drum is an early 90's Radio King but unfortunately does not have the original NOB so i am looking for another option from the triple flange currently on the drum.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Official Drummerworld Photographer

Default Re: Whats the best after market hoops.

Have you looked at the S-Hoop?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Definitely die cast. s-hoops are still bent metal which is trying to warp itself back to its original state. I've never heard of a cannon or a gibraltar failing. Go with either looks or price, for function, they're the same. Ive got some sweet black-nickel die cast hoops that came standard on my ddrum diatribe birch kit, i wish i could find them after-market.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Definitely die cast. s-hoops are still bent metal which is trying to warp itself back to its original state.
Substantiate, please? Not that s-hoops are bent metal [they are], but that a flanged hoop "is trying to warp itself back..." [it's not]
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
Substantiate, please? Not that s-hoops are bent metal [they are], but that a flanged hoop "is trying to warp itself back..." [it's not]
cut the flanged hoop with a saw, make a clean break. The hoop will distort itself slightly and over time because the hoop wants to revert to it's straight shape before it was was bent.

Cut a die cast hoop with the same clean beak and it retains its shape because it's original shape is the round shape of the mold it was cast in when it was in a molten state.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
cut the flanged hoop with a saw, make a clean break. The hoop will distort itself slightly and over time because the hoop wants to revert to it's straight shape before it was was bent.

Cut a die cast hoop with the same clean beak and it retains its shape because it's original shape is the round shape of the mold it was cast in when it was in a molten state.
I dunno, man. You implied that it would try to straighten completely. By this same logic, paper clips are bent, so they try to go back to their original straight-line shape too, eh? Funny that I've never witnessed this. But yeah, it seems logical that cutting it would make it open up maybe an inch or two. So even if what you claim is true, rims don't just break like that all the time, so why does that make them inferior? Gatzen doesn't think either is superior to the other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfQPlHS4d4
Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

Update! I took a pair of steel rim saver hoops off another Radio King form the same era ( 90's) and the drum sounds SOOOooooo much better than the triple flange that were on it. I then went to ebay and purchased a set of of 60's COB stick saver rims and put them on my original Radio King. The COB sounds great but I thing they make the drum ring a bit more. I will switch rims between the two to test this theory.

I guess the triple flange that came with the drum might have a problem. I have triple flange on other snares and on my Dee-Dubs that sound great. I know a lot of high end drums have die cast so I might do some experimenting on a couple of snares. Just got to be careful that they are in round and in good shape I suppose.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a good link. http://www.drumjunction.com/drum_parts.html
Im a fan of cast hoops on a snare. I haven't noticed quality issues with any quality hoops. I have played many manufacturers hoops over the years. I use Gibraltar stamped hoops on some of my toms with no problems. They are not expensive. The main thing is the sound that you want! I have never bent a rim, Stamped or Cast. Stamped hoops offer more flex and a warmer sound. Your car is made from stamped sheet metal. The bends that the stamping process makes give the car body parts flex and strength. The same thing applies to drum rims.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-18-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

Im looking to replace my stock rims/hoops on my Sonor Force kit with 2.3 mm hoops or dye cast hoops.
Is this possible?. I know they have to fit perfectly.
Can I get them from Sonor or should I go elsewhere and how much do you think they cost?.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Im looking to replace my stock rims/hoops on my Sonor Force kit with 2.3 mm hoops or dye cast hoops.
Is this possible?. I know they have to fit perfectly.
Can I get them from Sonor or should I go elsewhere and how much do you think they cost?.
I have a Force kit as well and have played with this idea. However, if you go Diecast, the drums will be physically heavier and you're looking at possibly an $100 upgrade per drum. I think just the 2.3 heavier power hoops would be sufficient for the toms.

But then again, I haven't yet noticed a reason to change out my hoops. I do know they are cheaper by everyone else's standards, but they've been doing the job so far. I don't do alot of rimshots on my toms.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I have a Force kit as well and have played with this idea. However, if you go Diecast, the drums will be physically heavier and you're looking at possibly an $100 upgrade per drum. I think just the 2.3 heavier power hoops would be sufficient for the toms.

But then again, I haven't yet noticed a reason to change out my hoops. I do know they are cheaper by everyone else's standards, but they've been doing the job so far. I don't do alot of rimshots on my toms.
Yeah, I dont know If I need new rims at all, they just feel kinda thin to me and drum companies are making a big deal about 2.3 mm hoops these days. I definately dont need diecast rims.
Is it just me or do these 3007s sound pretty freakin awsome?.

How do you like yours?. Do you hit them hard?. Do they stay in tune for a long time?.

Do you think I shouldnt worry about the rims?.

If I did want new rims, where would I look?.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Yeah, I dont know If I need new rims at all, they just feel kinda thin to me and drum companies are making a big deal about 2.3 mm hoops these days. I definately dont need diecast rims.
Is it just me or do these 3007s sound pretty freakin awsome?.

How do you like yours?. Do you hit them hard?. Do they stay in tune for a long time?.

Do you think I shouldnt worry about the rims?.

If I did want new rims, where would I look?.
I love my Force kit. I was quite literally surprised by how good I got them to sound after I installed new heads top and bottom. Although I'm not really a pounder, mine stay in tune just fine, I'm still adjusting tuning as the heads break in. My snare really surprised me, it sounds really good too. But alas, my main snare is a Ludwig Supraphonic, but the rest of the kit (even with the snare) sounds pretty killer.

I would say if you want new rims, it wouldn't be a bad investment. I was looking at a sight by Canon Percussion that deals with hoops of all kinds and they had good prices. But I'm only 35 miles away from the Pro Drum Shop here in Hollywood, so I could go in person and get everything I need from one place. I haven't made that decision yet, and I may never. I would do a google search for drum rims and see what you come up with. Canon was the first one that came up for me. But places that sell the Gibraltar hoops abound (like Musiciansfriend). The Guitar Center can also order that stuff, and get it from their online store.

Good luck on your decision. Maybe you can order them, and you can try them out. If it doesn't really change the sound of your kit, you can send them back!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

dios does have a point, although the rim won't try to bend itself back straight. they are "forced' into position and if cut they will go back to a natural state of rest, which is why they seperate an inch or 2 when cut. a paper clip is already in a natural state of rest which is why they hold their form. if you take that same paper clip bend it straight then release you'll see it immediatly pull back a slight amount to a natural resting state. it will be minimal but is still happens. if you bend it slightly past straight to the exact amount needed it's natural resting state will be straight. same principle as a spring when you compress it or stretch it although their made in a different way then paper clips so their a lot stronger and harder to change their resting state. metal will always try to return to this state when forced into any postion but the amount of force it would require to pull a rim apart on it's own is significantly higher then what that rim is capable of so in itself i doubt has or ever would be a problem.

unless you use 20# sledge hammers for drum sticks.......

personally i would also go for the die cast, given they are easier to tune evenly. but thats just me and my tuning needs all the help it can get....
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Good sources for aftermarket hoops are:

American Music Drum Parts

Drummaker.com

Drum Foundry

You can get nearly anything you want: die cast, brass hoops, even stick choppers.