DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM
SickRick

Default My new Tama Starclassic B/B limited edition

Check out my new drumset. Bought it two days ago, set it up today for the first time.... Sounds fantastic and belongs on stage which is were I will use it for the most time - I have a set of Yamaha Maple Customs in my rehearsal room (which are a bit too small for stages, especially the BD, so I needed something for live playing and went for a huge 22*20 BD - exactly the right choice.)

Enjoy the Pix! I'll post more pictures once it has been on stage - it must look amazing in the limelight. I'll have 6 gigs this October, so you probably won't have to wait too long.

Arguably, one of the nicest sets. Ever. ;)

This was just a quick setup, without my aux snare and much less cymbals than I would usually use. Also, I wasn't using my own pedals / throne. The finish is a limited edition - afaik only two of these exist in europe. I don't know how the finish is called, but the small spades are in a silver sparkle/glass and reflect all types of coloured light. For those interested, here are the stats:

22*20
10*7
12*8
14*14
16*16
13*6
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Re: My new Tama Starclassic B/B limited edition

sweet lookin' rig. I dream of owning a starclassic B/B. Please give specs on the sabians, pretty please?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 PM

Omg.
Outstanding.
Isnt this finish called like white astral diamonds?
What is this limited edition you speak of? Interesting!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin,sweden View Post
Omg.
Outstanding.
Isnt this finish called like white astral diamonds?
What is this limited edition you speak of? Interesting!
The guy in the shop where I bought it told me, that Tama only built two of these sets for the european market. I've checked the Tama homepage but couldn't find this finish for the B/B in their regular finishes. There is only the opposite finish available (black with the astral diamonds).

On the other hand.... I am really not into brands and all that stuff so it's quite possible that this finish is actually a regular finish. I honestly don't know - that's just what I was told.

But yes: It really is an outstanding finish. It looks like it wants to be played.

The Sabians are Extra Thin Crashes in 16" and 18". Both Hand Hammered. You can check out the 16" one in all my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DrSticktrick
Old 09-28-2009, 01:07 PM

That is one sleek kit!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Big_Philly

Nice! I don't like how that finish looks on these photo's, but I am curious to see what it's like when it reflects stage lights. Post pics when you take this baby gigging!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Love it, Lutz! The kit's got stage presence .. very Dreadnut! BB will give you great performance sound..enjoy it!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Yummy! I like the black chrome lugs and hoops too.

I heard someone playing a Tama Bubinga Birch in a store once and it sounded really good. Are they heavy drums?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

That's one sexy kit. It's the pimp of drum kits, it'd charge people to take crappy CB kits to sleazy clubs to play on.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM

very very nice man. Can't wait to hear some sound clips!

Brendan Colameco
www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums
Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 AM

Nice set man!!! I suppose that 22 x 20 bass drum is a bomb... and nice look.. What heads do you think to put on toms later?? because I see you have the tama ones yet...
good luck....
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-drum-set-St...d=p3286.c0.m14

Astral White Diamond, it's called. And while the color isn't rare over here, the 22x20 size is! :)
Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 AM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibernalq View Post
Nice set man!!! I suppose that 22 x 20 bass drum is a bomb... and nice look.. What heads do you think to put on toms later?? because I see you have the tama ones yet...
good luck....
Well, I wanted to have a 22*20 Bassdrum all along, which is one of the reasons why I didn't go for a Delite or an Oak Custom (I know there is the Oak X which has the same sizes as this drumset and also black nickel hardware, but it's really expensive over here and I would have had to wait for a while). I have to say that this Bassdrum is perfect for my needs as I do play a lot of Steppers / One Drop stuff where you really want to have a lot of low end and pump. But I found that it's also quite nice for Funky stuff as well. It's way more versatile than I thought it would be.

About the heads: I think I'll stay with the G1 bottom / G2 top for a while. Personally I always used clear Ambassadors or coated Ambassadors on top and bottom (or maybe Diplomat on bottom) but right now, the G2s sound just fine.

For the two floortoms I even think about trying EC2s or Pinstripes allthough I generally hate these heads. But they do kill a lot of sustain and I have to say that especially on the 16" tom there is quite some sustain...

After a week of playing on this set I am really impressed with the 13" Snaredrum as well because it delivers a much nicer crossstick and general punch (with enough low end as well) than I would have thought. Also, it seems like you guys are right about the finish: No limited edition at all... I'm quite pissed about the fact that I was told it was one. It's totally fine that this is a regular finish, but I'm not so ok with being told something different....

Soooo after playing a lot, I really am impressed with a few things: Birch / Bubinga offers a much fuller sound that I would have expected. It's way more direct than my maple kit and also much more precise. Another thing is that I am really impressed by the manufacturing quality that Tama has to offer and by the great hardware (lugs, hoops, mounting system... fantastic). So all in all, I'm more than sure that I'll have a ton of fun with this set and I'll post some more pictures from stage this October!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, birch/bubinga, ash and oak seem to be the three choices for a cross between maple and birch, for that nice attack and good warmth to follow. I really wish I had heard the Starclassic B/Bs played sooner :\
Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
Yeah, birch/bubinga, ash and oak seem to be the three choices for a cross between maple and birch, for that nice attack and good warmth to follow. I really wish I had heard the Starclassic B/Bs played sooner :\
Yes, absolutely right. Also, the prizes for the B/B are really affordable and all of Tamas finishes look stunning, no matter if you go for lacquerd finishes or wraps.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Yes, absolutely right. Also, the prizes for the B/B are really affordable and all of Tamas finishes look stunning, no matter if you go for lacquerd finishes or wraps.
I AGREE... and about heads I think its the right choice...
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Beauty! I love the finish. I tried one of these B/B kits at Guitar Center and they sound fantastic. Tama does excellent quality as well.

I'd also love to see some pics of you out on a gig w/ these!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

Just curious, how's the bass drum? Every single B/B bass drum I've heard has been extra punchy with little low end and boom to it.

Last edited by Moldy; 10-15-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Just curious, how's the bass drum? Every single B/B bass drum I've heard has been extra punchy with little low end and boom to it.
The bassdrum actually has a lot of low end to it, probably because of the 20" deep shell. I guess the mixture between Birch and Bubinga is one of the only combinations that allows for such a deep shell without getting too "boomy" and without loosing the punch. I've checked a Maple Bassdrum with the exact same size as this one from another manufacturerer last week against mine (also same heads) and the difference was huge. I guess maple just isn't meant to be built in these sizes which is probably the reason why many companys mainly build 22*18 or 22*17.5 - for maple this seems much more reasonable.

Anyhow, I'll by touring with the set next week and I'll also be recording some stuff on tour so I hope that during the next two weeks or so, I'll be able to upload some new pictures and videos.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

Sweet! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! I'm lining myself up to buy a 3 piece Gretsch Renown in a week or two because I love the boom on the 22x20 bass drum and the toms have a good tone, but if your bass drum is better than those 22x18 B/Bs I've heard... Starclassic ALL THE WAY!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 AM
SickRick

Quote:
Sweet! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! I'm lining myself up to buy a 3 piece Gretsch Renown in a week or two because I love the boom on the 22x20 bass drum and the toms have a good tone, but if your bass drum is better than those 22x18 B/Bs I've heard... Starclassic ALL THE WAY!
Just hang in there man! I'll make sure I'll post videos & recordings as soon as I have them so you can listen for yourself.

:)
Old 10-18-2009, 04:14 AM

I love that finish!

I play Starclassic maples but have been itching to get my hands on either the old birch Performers or the new B/B Performers.