DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Default Pearl Export, Vintage Premier, Zildjians

Hi,

I picked up this Pearl Export a couple of weeks ago. The finish is Amber Fade or so i've been told, and its in standard rock sizes bar the bass, which is a 22 x 24.

Name:  DSC00435.JPG
Views: 1397
Size:  118.1 KB
Name:  DSC00438.JPG
Views: 1157
Size:  63.5 KB
Name:  DSC00436.JPG
Views: 1390
Size:  73.2 KB

I'm using A Custom Projection crashes (17 and 19), Z Custom Ride and Z Custom mastersound hats. The snare is a Tama maple 10 lug, 14 x 8, not sure what model but possibly artstar? Sounds amazing.

Pics are from my gig last night with a Stereophonics tribute band, played in their hometown, Cwmaman, Wales! Went down brilliantly as well, I love that feeling when the audience really loves what you are doing.

This is my Premier kit:
Name:  DSC00021.JPG
Views: 1116
Size:  99.4 KB
Picture quality is poor, I know, but it's either a late 70's or early 80's as far as I know. This was my first ever kit that I got around 14 years ago and I cant bring myself to part with it! I refinished it myself, got tired of the red wrap that was originally on it, and destroyed the badges in the process so its now worth nothing, but I love it.

22 bass, 12 & 13 rack toms and a 16 floor tom, all fairly shallow depths, with remo single ply coated heads.

Also use a Yamaha DTXplorer but didnt bother to post any pictures as it's not that interesting.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Pearl Export, Vintage Premier, Zildjians

I love the looks of your premier kit, you should deffinately get some better quality pictures up. Do you use the 12" or 13" tom?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks! I use the 12" tom, the other has sat in the bag for over a year. Annoyingly, that one also came out with the best finish of the kit.

I'll try to remember to get some pics next time I bring it out.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM

Default Refinished Premier kit - 1970's

Had the Premier out today and remembered to take some pictures

Name:  DSC00498.JPG
Views: 919
Size:  131.7 KB
Name:  DSC00499.JPG
Views: 800
Size:  132.3 KB
Name:  DSC00500.JPG
Views: 854
Size:  125.5 KB
Name:  DSC00501.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  133.1 KB
Name:  DSC00502.JPG
Views: 778
Size:  136.8 KB
Name:  DSC00505.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  133.4 KB
Name:  DSC00503.JPG
Views: 756
Size:  123.9 KB

As I said originally, I'm not sure what year this kit is but from this site - http://www.vintprem.moonfruit.com It looks to be a 1976 (mine used to look exactly like the red kit on the '76 page but with half the number of drums). If anyone can suggest otherwise, i'd be interested to know. I suppose I could try to ask the original owner if I was that bothered, they wrote their name and address on the inside of the shells! Though I have had it quite a while, they could have moved...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Mmmm that Premier just looks classic. But you would have to dirty up those cymbals :P
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe it's because you live in the Premier's "home counrty", you look at that kit as - well - no badges - not worth anything. Over here, Pearl Exports are "common". An old Premier kit, awesome. Certainly, a DIY refinish will turn away "collectors", but personally, I'd rather have the Premier kit. Certainly cool, that you have both.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 PM

That piccolo snare, does that have beatring things in the shell??? That's awesome!!
And is the Export bass 22 dia x 24 depth or 24 dia x 22 depth??

Bram
Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 AM

...dirty...up...cymbals? No chance of that just yet! Maybe when I can afford to replace them I might consider it.

Harry, I only meant not worth anything in terms of cash, this was my first ever kit and I dont have any plans to sell it, I've been the proud owner for 14 years and counting. I actually live in Premier's home town, I went to college a 30 second walk away from the factory. Its gone now, but I used to love going past there - they would change the kit in the display every so often, usually neon orange / green double kickers but they had the Moon kit once. I've also got a custom built, one off Premier picolo snare (13 x someting small) that I got from someone who knew a worker there and had it made, possibly on the sly.

Bram, thats a Sonor Jungle snare. I wouldnt recommend that you get one, I've tried to get it to sound good and so far have failed miserably, the jingles barely jingle and I have really struggled with tuning. However it is cheap (40 I think). The Export bass is 22in diameter and 24in depth.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the pics. That kit looks awesome, no offence but its my favorite of the two. Although I have a soft spot for older kits.