DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-20-2009, 05:10 AM

Default PS3 or EMAD?

I just played an evans emad on a yamaha stage custom at my friends house....and it blew my saturn away which sports the beloved remo powerstroke 3. So im probably making the change here shortly. Unfortunately I don't have any buddies with a superkick. Ive been itching to test some aquarians. I think tonights test put that subject to rest though. The emad blew me away.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: PS3 or EMAD?

I think you answered your own question.

BTW.

Playstation 3, ftw.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:40 PM
TheArchitect

Power Stroke all the way
Old 09-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

you have to be careful though, what resonant heads are you and your friend using? have you had him come over and try and tune your bass similar to his? i play the stage custom and originally went with the EQ4, was'nt happy with the results so i switched to the PS3 and still was'nt happy...

so i switched back and forth for a week or so and messed around with the tuning, seemed to get a nicer tone with the PS3 so i went and a got a Fiberskyn Resonant - now i was getting the big booming rock sound i was after!

moral of the story - check and recheck your tuning - and don't forget about the resonant head's :-)
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 PM

his was the stock yamaha stage head...not sure what the model is... mine is the stock mapex saturn head.. which is an ebony ps3 resonant.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Spring Donkey View Post
his was the stock yamaha stage head...not sure what the model is... mine is the stock mapex saturn head.. which is an ebony ps3 resonant.
Is it a PS3 resonant or Ambassador reso??

For me I switched from and SK1 to a PS3 and really dig how it sounds on my yamahas. FWIW we have an e-mad on the kit at church and the plastic ring that holds the foam in has broken which is a common problem with the e-mad. One thing I found was you have to tune the PS3 batter a little tighter than just past wrinkle to get it to really sound good! Other option would be taking a single ply head of your choice and putting a small strip of felt on it and you get the same effect as an emad or SK1

As far as how his sounds vs yours, are the sizes, wood, plies, beater identical? Also have you put them in the same room together and played them side by side. The room can have a HUGE effect on how it sounds, his room might be carrying the lower end better than yours. Just a thought
Old 09-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Other option would be taking a single ply head of your choice and putting a small strip of felt on it and you get the same effect as an emad or SK1
I've wondered about this. Is it equivalant to the emad in terms of the muffling achieved? A much cheaper option if so. It was a lot more popular back in the day, before the invention of the emad batter etc. But if it does the same job, I'd be all for saving the money. Are there many who still use and prefer this method? Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I've wondered about this. Is it equivalant to the emad in terms of the muffling achieved? A much cheaper option if so. It was a lot more popular back in the day, before the invention of the emad batter etc. But if it does the same job, I'd be all for saving the money. Are there many who still use and prefer this method? Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

You can tailor the sound even more than the emad by how much felt you use. I believe this is the method Steve Smith uses and I'm sure a host of others.

Here's a link to Steve's site http://www.vitalinformation.com/steve/setup_2.html
Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Stage Custom's bass drum comes with Remo UT's, the PS3 "knock off's", batter and reso :-/
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 AM

well i was somewhat jumping to judgement. I dont really plan on running out and spending $100 on two evans emads. And im pretty weary due to the recurring problem with the dampening ring...lots of complaints. Im gonna do some refined tuning on the ps3s before i go spending. Its just a pain to take the drums apart and tune both bass drums to resemble the same sound without consuming a lot of the day. But to continue the debate, i was thinking about trying out some aquarian heads. My snare (chris adler sig) came stock with an aquarian hi energy and ive gotten it to sound beautiful. But ive never experienced a kit with aquarians on it... i currently play emperors over ambassadors...i mean is there even a better sounding combo? Ive played evans before and they do tend to be a bit..."plasticy" almost like they disguise the true sound of the drums...but then again they were on cheaper sets. Any feedback?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

I agree with the emperor over ambassador. Love the sound I get.

I just switched from the EMAD (single ply) to the PS3. I liked the EMAD but that ring thing was just to costly to keep replacing. If your setting up and breaking down constantly the ring is going to break. The sound I get from the PS3 is a bit different. Not as deep a thud but more resonance and a nice punch. My tuning is pretty much how Bob Gatzen tuned on one of his videos where you tighten the head and while pressing the center of the head you loosen the tension until you see wrinkles then you tighten the tension just until the wrinkle disappears. I also use the Evans pillow and it lays against the batter head about 2 inches. I'm very happy with the results. I use two Yamaha kits an absolute maple bass 22x18 and an oak custom bass 22x17. Both with the PS3.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
You can tailor the sound even more than the emad by how much felt you use. I believe this is the method Steve Smith uses and I'm sure a host of others.

Here's a link to Steve's site http://www.vitalinformation.com/steve/setup_2.html
There's a lot to be said for the adjustability of felt strips. You can dial in pretty much any muffling you want, and experimentation is cheap compared to buying $50 bass drum heads you end up not liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale View Post
Stage Custom's bass drum comes with Remo UT's, the PS3 "knock off's", batter and reso :-/
In my experience these are not as bad as other Chinese Remos, but they're still not in the same league as a real PS3.

Quote:
well i was somewhat jumping to judgement. I dont really plan on running out and spending $100 on two evans emads. And im pretty weary due to the recurring problem with the dampening ring...lots of complaints. Im gonna do some refined tuning on the ps3s before i go spending. Its just a pain to take the drums apart and tune both bass drums to resemble the same sound without consuming a lot of the day.
Yes. Have to do it though. I use PS3s front and rear (no port and nothing in the drum) for unmiked playing. One thing I have found is that PS3s don't sound their best at JAW tuning. Try tuning the reso first; gradually raise it above JAW until it starts to get some bottom-end and sustain. Then tune the batter a smidge higher.

Quote:
But to continue the debate, i was thinking about trying out some aquarian heads. My snare (chris adler sig) came stock with an aquarian hi energy and ive gotten it to sound beautiful. But ive never experienced a kit with aquarians on it
To my ear (IMO, YMMV, etc.) the Aquarian bass heads have a film that is soft and dull souning, and the muffled models are way over-muffled. Plus, the muffling is not removable.

If I needed a premuffled head I'd go for the EMAD.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
There's a lot to be said for the adjustability of felt strips. You can dial in pretty much any muffling you want, and experimentation is cheap compared to buying $50 bass drum heads you end up not liking.

In my experience these are not as bad as other Chinese Remos, but they're still not in the same league as a real PS3.

Yes. Have to do it though. I use PS3s front and rear (no port and nothing in the drum) for unmiked playing. One thing I have found is that PS3s don't sound their best at JAW tuning. Try tuning the reso first; gradually raise it above JAW until it starts to get some bottom-end and sustain. Then tune the batter a smidge higher.

To my ear (IMO, YMMV, etc.) the Aquarian bass heads have a film that is soft and dull souning, and the muffled models are way over-muffled. Plus, the muffling is not removable.

If I needed a premuffled head I'd go for the EMAD.

Thats true, the PS3's need to be tuned a bit above JAW. I happen to use a drum dial. jaw is around 68/70 or so. I tune mine to about 76 fron and back with 5" port and an EQ pad against the batter.