DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-22-2009, 10:55 PM
theuntitleddrummer theuntitleddrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 185
Default FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

gaming vs drumming?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,256
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Why not some of both. Gaming will help your hand-eye coordination which will transfer to the drums. Most games have music which will reinforce your ear and timing. I see it as a win win. Besides I get tired of Pong after a while. Back and forth, back and forth....
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 03-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2009, 11:37 PM
The Big Beat's Avatar
The Big Beat The Big Beat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 104
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

drumming hands down. dont get me wrong, i love video games. besides drumming and school(in that order), video games take up alot of my day, but there is nothing like the sweet heaven on earth solitude that drumming gives me
__________________
Gretsch-Paiste-Vater-DW Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Mr. Serpent's Avatar
Mr. Serpent Mr. Serpent is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: England
Posts: 51
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

I've been a gamer a LOT longer than I've been a drummer. Lately however, I've been gaming a lot less and drumming more. Is one a direct cause of the other? I can't say. There aren't many games that interest me right now though, so drumming is more fun to me.

I don't see why it should be a matter of one versus the other either. A balance can always be achieved. It's not as if one is bad for you (granted both can be bad if not done in moderation).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuntitleddrummer View Post
gaming vs drumming?!?!

If you love both... proper balance is key. I'm a hardcore gamer, yet I don't neglect my practice even if our team has just won 5 straight games of ranked team slayer on Halo 3.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 AM
TheGroceryman TheGroceryman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 641
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Some video games are pretty fun.

But just NOTHING beats drumming. When i drum to songs, alone, or just drum on the school desk with a pencil (much to my class's dismay once i REALLY get into it), there's just no other feeling that matches that. It's impossible to describe, it just gives a purpose to life.

A video game wouldn't/couldn't do that.
__________________
"Defeat is crowned by Success, Only if you Persist."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Mr. Pasquini's Avatar
Mr. Pasquini Mr. Pasquini is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: High Point, NC (USA)
Posts: 1,222
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Drumming kills gaming. I played video games for hours each day then started drumming... Very few video games are played now.
__________________
-Ian
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
gusty's Avatar
gusty gusty is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,580
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

video games used to be a big part of my life...had a subscription to a magazine, often visited an xbox forum...then once the 360 came on the scene i didnt like it cause i knew i couldnt afford it, then i found out developers were going to stop supporting the xbox and lost a lot of intrest. but sometimes now i play games like age of mythology LAN with my girlfriend and brother. plus...my brother just bought a 360 :P ill have to test it out ofcourse
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,071
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

I've been playing games since the late eighties, sometimes more, sometimes less. Nowadays I have very litte time for gaming, but tiny doses of 90's DOS games does the trick for me. Master of Orion 2 and SimCity 2000 have been my go-to games recently...

I don't know whether the question applies to me, however. I started drumming in my late teens, at the age of nineteen, to be exact.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Currently not gaming at all, but when I did I was an avid MOH:AA player (Clanbase UK) and was actually pretty good. Not into console gaming so much, but I'm into my Half Life and Half Life 2 when I get my hands on the right system. With all that said, the old DOS games are hard to beat - Elite (Ok, BBC Micro there, but also a DOS game and I have it on a micro) and Prince of Persia being two personal favourites.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
VedranS VedranS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 180
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I've been playing games since the late eighties, sometimes more, sometimes less. Nowadays I have very litte time for gaming, but tiny doses of 90's DOS games does the trick for me. Master of Orion 2 and SimCity 2000 have been my go-to games recently...

I don't know whether the question applies to me, however. I started drumming in my late teens, at the age of nineteen, to be exact.
Uhm, i hope this isn't offensive, but how old are you?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
HeadRush's Avatar
HeadRush HeadRush is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 225
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
But just NOTHING beats drumming.
that is a WONDERFUL pun my friend!
hahaha
__________________
pdp cx series
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
king fail's Avatar
king fail king fail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Leicester, England
Posts: 353
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

A few months after I started taking my drumming seriously, I sold almost every piece of gaming hardware and software I owned to pay for gear... and I was quite the gamer back in the day.

Never regretted it. But I do still keep a gameboy and a copy of tetris for long journeys though :-)
__________________
-If Tony Williams played on the bottom of shoes, we would all get a pair and hope for the best!

Last edited by king fail; 03-23-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: missed something out!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I've been playing games since the late eighties, sometimes more, sometimes less. Nowadays I have very litte time for gaming, but tiny doses of 90's DOS games does the trick for me. Master of Orion 2 and SimCity 2000 have been my go-to games recently...

I don't know whether the question applies to me, however. I started drumming in my late teens, at the age of nineteen, to be exact.
I feel like i've missed out! the first VGs i started playing on were PS1 games like Colin McRae rally and GT2 and Tomb raider III (although that was on the PC) We do have some old TOSS games lying about on Floppy somewhere but they don't work on any of our computers sadly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

I think i'm a hardcore gamer (man, that sounds sad). But I rarely spend money on games, most of it goes towards drumming. And I practice as much as I can on my drums, almost non-stop on weekends, when i'm not out "raving" or on my xbox.
I think I have found a balance between the two.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM
joshisaces's Avatar
joshisaces joshisaces is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 1,221
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

DRUMMING. I don't have the passion for video games as most teens do.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
SharkyBait911's Avatar
SharkyBait911 SharkyBait911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norfolk - Uk
Posts: 273
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

DRUMMMMMING!!!
I have no games consoles in my house but i do like a game once in w hile at my mates but apart from that nothin !
__________________
Gretsch Renown Maple Limited Edition - Pearl Icon Rack - Iron Cobra Pedals - Zildian ZHT
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:12 PM
hailhail's Avatar
hailhail hailhail is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 32
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Drumming all the way! I do enjoy playing my Xbox 360, but I'd say I'm just a casual gamer.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I feel like i've missed out! the first VGs i started playing on were PS1 games like Colin McRae rally and GT2 and Tomb raider III (although that was on the PC) We do have some old TOSS games lying about on Floppy somewhere but they don't work on any of our computers sadly.
Some of the old games are fantastic. The original Prince of Persia is just stunningly good (and INCREDIBLY hard). Old-school gamers will tell you that the new generation of games are far too easy - and they're right. Old games had to be difficult to ensure replay value. No online play and sometimes not enough memory for different difficulty settings. They made those games HARD.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,071
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedranS View Post
Uhm, i hope this isn't offensive, but how old are you?
25. That's more than 20.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 AM
gusty's Avatar
gusty gusty is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,580
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I don't know whether the question applies to me, however. I started drumming in my late teens, at the age of nineteen, to be exact.
I'm jealous that you had the passion for drumming from the beginning. ive been playing for the same amount of time, though started when was ten.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
VedranS VedranS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 180
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
25. That's more than 20.
Whoops, my bad man, I just reread your post. I thought you said you started GAMING when you were nineteen, which apparantly was in the late eighties...I should learn to read better.

Oh, and I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but I still like to play old SNES RPSs from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Some of the old games are fantastic. The original Prince of Persia is just stunningly good (and INCREDIBLY hard). Old-school gamers will tell you that the new generation of games are far too easy - and they're right.
Old school gamers are idiots.
Try playing through Gears of war on insane, or maybe Halo 3 on legendary. Come back and tell me that they are not hard.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
Old school gamers are idiots.
Try playing through Gears of war on insane, or maybe Halo 3 on legendary. Come back and tell me that they are not hard.
He's got a point though. I mean it took me literally years to come first place in the CMR world championship and i swear it just got easier and easier with every new release of the game.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
Old school gamers are idiots.
Try playing through Gears of war on insane, or maybe Halo 3 on legendary. Come back and tell me that they are not hard.
Half Life on Hard.

Prince of Persia? Ever played it? Level 1 is a challenge and it gets harder with the one hour time limit. Please, don't insult your own intelligence by calling old-school gamers idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,215
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Half Life on Hard.

Prince of Persia? Ever played it? Level 1 is a challenge and it gets harder with the one hour time limit. Please, don't insult your own intelligence by calling old-school gamers idiots.
I like both. I wake up. Play drums, Go to work, And come home and play video games.
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
king fail's Avatar
king fail king fail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Leicester, England
Posts: 353
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Half Life on Hard.

Prince of Persia? Ever played it? Level 1 is a challenge and it gets harder with the one hour time limit. Please, don't insult your own intelligence by calling old-school gamers idiots.
PoP and Half Life's (admittedly very, very high) difficulty levels PALE in comparison to Ikaruga. I suggest you check that one out MFB. That game nearly brought me to tears...
__________________
-If Tony Williams played on the bottom of shoes, we would all get a pair and hope for the best!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by king fail View Post
PoP and Half Life's (admittedly very, very high) difficulty levels PALE in comparison to Ikaruga. I suggest you check that one out MFB. That game nearly brought me to tears...
No way of playing it I am afraid. No console, no Windows computer. Unless it works on DOS emulators...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 AM
drumhead61's Avatar
drumhead61 drumhead61 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

As much as I love gaming, I will take my drums over them any day...besides I have to practically beat my kids down to get to any of the game consoles and my drums they are not lining up to play with...muhahahaha! My own toy...FINALLY! Well, my 2 year old boy loves drums, but that's all good with me.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Half Life on Hard.

Prince of Persia? Ever played it? Level 1 is a challenge and it gets harder with the one hour time limit. Please, don't insult your own intelligence by calling old-school gamers idiots.
Well if "old school" gamers think that todays games are easy, they need to wake up. Just because pacman was a hard game it doesn't make other games bad, because thats what you making them out to be. I know, I've played half life, I've played several old school games and I have to say that they don't hold a candle to any of the modern games. Yes, games like final fantasy (the first few anyways) are excellent but they don't even come close to Halo 3, Gears 1 and 2, GTA IV, oblivion, dead rising ect.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
Well if "old school" gamers think that todays games are easy, they need to wake up. Just because pacman was a hard game it doesn't make other games bad, because thats what you making them out to be. I know, I've played half life, I've played several old school games and I have to say that they don't hold a candle to any of the modern games. Yes, games like final fantasy (the first few anyways) are excellent but they don't even come close to Halo 3, Gears 1 and 2, GTA IV, oblivion, dead rising ect.
That's just your opinion though. In actual fact i think to even compare the playability between old and new games is just silly because they're just so different. It's like saying "Chalk SUCKS compared to cheese!" I think new games are great, i love being able to roam around 3d open environments with stunning visual detail and complex storylines. However there is something really just plain fun about playing an old game such as Worms, GTA II and Super Mario.

And yes i agree with MFB that new games have been dumbed down for more mass market appeal. Just look at the facts here, in the early days of computing, hardly anyone could afford a computer (a basic one would have set you back nearly 1000 back in te '80s) and those who could would probably be rich businessmen who used their computer for business. Then fast forward to the very last years of the 80s and computers came to a point where younger people could afford them and wanted to use them for games. So people made games for them. However, gaming spec pcs were still expensive and few people could afford them. Basically, if you wanted to play a game on the PC, you had to be serious about playing games. Now with the advent of cheap console gaming anyone can afford one which means that the game developers want to make games that anyone with a console might want to buy. That means making it a lot easier to play. It's a simple fact. The graphics also suck on consoles, too. You wouldn't believe how much better a game such as GTA or CoD looks on a PC compared to the console version. The graphical capabilites of a good PC are just so much better.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 PM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

I know I'm not normal--I'm actually kind of girly. I don't play sports or video games. Just drumming, photography, videography, and skateboarding. To me, video games seem kind of dull, but I can understand why people like them.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
Well if "old school" gamers think that todays games are easy, they need to wake up. Just because pacman was a hard game it doesn't make other games bad, because thats what you making them out to be. I know, I've played half life, I've played several old school games and I have to say that they don't hold a candle to any of the modern games. Yes, games like final fantasy (the first few anyways) are excellent but they don't even come close to Halo 3, Gears 1 and 2, GTA IV, oblivion, dead rising ect.
This is where I disagree.

Modern games are great as technological showcases - but I'm one to stand up and say whatever happened to the fun? Advanced graphics and immersive environments are great, but sometimes when you have sixteen buttons of control and a huge character map to remember; I just honestly wish for the days of Super Mario with two buttons and a pad. Those games were fun. Then suddenly, around about 1997 (I would've been about nine) games started getting more and more 'serious' and the fun element was lost. Just occasionally I come across a game that's really great and fun and most of the time I'll find that these are the simplest games of all. 'Braid' (on Xbox) is a great example of this. A simple concept that actually is a lot of fun.

Most games today are all flash and no trousers. They suck you in with (amazing, it has to be said) graphics, but underneath those graphics, the gameplay often outright sucks. It's all about flash with no bang. That's not true of all games, absolutely not - and there were rotten games in the 80's too - some really rotten ones, but generally the substance of mainstream gaming has been lost with this technical obsession. Just because it is possible for all this to be put into games doesn't mean it should. Hell, Space Invaders is a simple concept but play it for long enough and the sheer fun of it will suck you in. Same goes for PacMan, same goes for Tetris, same goes for Prince of Persia and the same goes for Doom, Lemmings and the same even goes for The Lost Vikings (which I was obsessed with as a kid - I spent a year trying to crack one level!).

I love the original Half Life series of games (Half Life is my favourite game ever - with Half Life 2 being somewhere nearby) but in my opinion this is where the gaming industry started going wrong. Everybody was out to create the 'new' Half Life and got the idea horrendously wrong - focusing on the wrong elements like the (then groundbreaking) graphics engine and the flashier stuff. The fun was in the gameplay and the challenge. I see no challenge in a game where you can get shot at, go and suck your thumb in the corner for five minutes and then recover, rather than doing it old-school and battling your way through a hoarde with only one point of health remaining. Halo - to me - has done the same thing with trying to copy Half Life, but getting some of the more essential elements right and whilst I can't pretend to be a fan of the series, when a game of actual substance arrives, it rightly gets lauded in praise.

There's just far too much 'me too!' gaming out there. The rubbish sells. Like Hollywood releasing endless sequels (which Saw movie are we on now?) with none of the innovation of the predecessor; I see the gaming industry going the same way. Notable exceptions notwithstanding, the game industry is sterile. For every Guitar Hero and Halo out today, there are dozens of Sonic Unleasheds and Blood in the Sands.

Oh. And for the best night in: check out Zero Punctuation. The man is a general hotbed of hilarity.

Incidentally, I was a massive Morrowind player for a good few years. If you trace back Oblivion to its roots, the game is over fifteen years old and survives largely in the same form. Oblivion is not a new game. It's very good, but it's a development of an old concept. Arena and Daggerfall were great (I played Daggerfall as a kid - scared the lights out of me, as did Doom (I was five and playing Doom, mind)) Morrowind ranks as second on my favourite games of all-time list, but Oblivion is nothing new. So sorry, that argument doesn't hold. Neither does GTA IV. Expansion of a decade-old concept. Halo - like I've said - is a very good Half Life-inspired shooter, but rooted in the nineties and Dead Rising is a direct homage to the George Romero zombie flicks - which date back to 1968! The only 'modern' game you've cited there is Gears of War - which is one of the better modern series. But sorry, you're just not getting your facts straight. The games you're praising there as 'modern' are in fact at least a decade old - with the one exception. The only really 'great' new games I've seen in the last five years have been Guitar Hero and Braid - both of which have utterly original concepts. Other than that? All treading old ground.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
This is where I disagree.

Modern games are great as technological showcases - but I'm one to stand up and say whatever happened to the fun? Advanced graphics and immersive environments are great, but sometimes when you have sixteen buttons of control and a huge character map to remember; I just honestly wish for the days of Super Mario with two buttons and a pad. Those games were fun. Then suddenly, around about 1997 (I would've been about nine) games started getting more and more 'serious' and the fun element was lost. Just occasionally I come across a game that's really great and fun and most of the time I'll find that these are the simplest games of all. 'Braid' (on Xbox) is a great example of this. A simple concept that actually is a lot of fun.

Most games today are all flash and no trousers. They suck you in with (amazing, it has to be said) graphics, but underneath those graphics, the gameplay often outright sucks. It's all about flash with no bang. That's not true of all games, absolutely not - and there were rotten games in the 80's too - some really rotten ones, but generally the substance of mainstream gaming has been lost with this technical obsession. Just because it is possible for all this to be put into games doesn't mean it should. Hell, Space Invaders is a simple concept but play it for long enough and the sheer fun of it will suck you in. Same goes for PacMan, same goes for Tetris, same goes for Prince of Persia and the same goes for Doom, Lemmings and the same even goes for The Lost Vikings (which I was obsessed with as a kid - I spent a year trying to crack one level!).

I love the original Half Life series of games (Half Life is my favourite game ever - with Half Life 2 being somewhere nearby) but in my opinion this is where the gaming industry started going wrong. Everybody was out to create the 'new' Half Life and got the idea horrendously wrong - focusing on the wrong elements like the (then groundbreaking) graphics engine and the flashier stuff. The fun was in the gameplay and the challenge. I see no challenge in a game where you can get shot at, go and suck your thumb in the corner for five minutes and then recover, rather than doing it old-school and battling your way through a hoarde with only one point of health remaining. Halo - to me - has done the same thing with trying to copy Half Life, but getting some of the more essential elements right and whilst I can't pretend to be a fan of the series, when a game of actual substance arrives, it rightly gets lauded in praise.

There's just far too much 'me too!' gaming out there. The rubbish sells. Like Hollywood releasing endless sequels (which Saw movie are we on now?) with none of the innovation of the predecessor; I see the gaming industry going the same way. Notable exceptions notwithstanding, the game industry is sterile. For every Guitar Hero and Halo out today, there are dozens of Sonic Unleasheds and Blood in the Sands.

Oh. And for the best night in: check out Zero Punctuation. The man is a general hotbed of hilarity.

Incidentally, I was a massive Morrowind player for a good few years. If you trace back Oblivion to its roots, the game is over fifteen years old and survives largely in the same form. Oblivion is not a new game. It's very good, but it's a development of an old concept. Arena and Daggerfall were great (I played Daggerfall as a kid - scared the lights out of me, as did Doom (I was five and playing Doom, mind)) Morrowind ranks as second on my favourite games of all-time list, but Oblivion is nothing new. So sorry, that argument doesn't hold. Neither does GTA IV. Expansion of a decade-old concept. Halo - like I've said - is a very good Half Life-inspired shooter, but rooted in the nineties and Dead Rising is a direct homage to the George Romero zombie flicks - which date back to 1968! The only 'modern' game you've cited there is Gears of War - which is one of the better modern series. But sorry, you're just not getting your facts straight. The games you're praising there as 'modern' are in fact at least a decade old - with the one exception. The only really 'great' new games I've seen in the last five years have been Guitar Hero and Braid - both of which have utterly original concepts. Other than that? All treading old ground.
Just because games are "treading old ground" it doesn't make them worse than their predecessors, yes the some of the ideas may be essentially the same but the content of the game differs greatly (with the exception of ww2 and1 games). Take Mass Effect for example, you actually decide what you do, you can end up in many different positions at the end of the game, you can kill certian characters, also making the storyline different.
Old school games (tetris, pacman ect) don't even have a storyline at all, thats what makes them (in one aspect) inferior to madern games.I love Pacman, supermario, warrio, luxor, but they are just good for some mindless fun once in a while. They lack the depth that most modern games have got. If you play Mass Effect all the way through (which I reccomend you do) you will see that the level games are at today are amazing. You actually feel sorry for the people that die (I know thats sad, but a lot of other people think that aswell). That is why I would take modern games over old games any day.

Have you ever played an Xbox live or PS3 network game? That is a serious thrill, playing (in most cases killing) "real" people from around the world. It really gets your heart rate going sometimes, when you pull off a massive kill streak. Do old games have this? I don't think so, you can have a few players at once, but not the thousands upon thousands of people that play Xbox live and PS3 network. There is yet another reason why modern games are better.

Also, have you seen the graphics on some of the old games, about 3 pixels (or whatever the termanology is) to someones face. Yes, sometimes the simple things are better but that is another reason to love modern games. You can immerse yourself in a game and feel like your standing right next to them or actually being that person.

So what have we got so far, better, non linear storylines, massive multiplayer capabillities (the PC is the master if MMORPGS) and better graphics. I would say, overall, modern games have outdone the oldies by a mile.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Graphics to me are irrelevant. It's all about gameplay. Gameplay is the way forward - not flashy graphics.

And open storylines are nothing new either, 'Elite' had this feature and it was released in 1984 (or earlier) I know this, I have it on the BBC Micro (I also have a BBC Micro). I was an avid PC gamer for years - FPS mainly (and Jedi Knight II) so I know and appreciate online gaming, and yeah, I'll agree - that extends the life of many games to the point where you're playing it for years. StarCraft had this feature in 1998 and is STILL played. Same goes for CounterStrike and that is THE game for many online PC gamers. So the online feature is nothing new, it's just near-enough ubiquitous now.

What I've effectively just said is the same as what I said earlier. These concepts are nothing new, all that's changed is the hardware. The inventiveness hasn't gotten any further and the ideas are old. Open-ended play? The early 80's, expanded with Arena in 1993 (IIRC). Online? Old concept, just more common now. Graphics? To me, utterly irrelevant. So really - new games aren't any 'better' - they're still re-treading old ground with more flash. Nothing for me there I'm afraid.

Play Braid. It's awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
Have you ever played an Xbox live or PS3 network game? That is a serious thrill, playing (in most cases killing) "real" people from around the world. It really gets your heart rate going sometimes, when you pull off a massive kill streak. Do old games have this? I don't think so, you can have a few players at once, but not the thousands upon thousands of people that play Xbox live and PS3 network. There is yet another reason why modern games are better.
I think it's quite funny how people bitch on about the XBOX live and PS3 live as if it's the most amazing new thing ever when PC gamers have been doing it for years. In fact everyone on the consoles was taken in by the mulitplayer version of GTA IV when in actual fact PC gamers have actually made their own online multiplayer versions of previous GTA games since i think the first one.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Citizen Insane's Avatar
Citizen Insane Citizen Insane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 250
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Drumming, although I have been addicted to Team Fortress 2 for a couple of weeks.
__________________
"Hey! Its you......I don't like you!"
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-28-2009, 02:42 AM
The Big Beat's Avatar
The Big Beat The Big Beat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 104
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Half Life on Hard.

Prince of Persia? Ever played it? Level 1 is a challenge and it gets harder with the one hour time limit. Please, don't insult your own intelligence by calling old-school gamers idiots.
PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Gretsch-Paiste-Vater-DW Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Pass.of.E.r.a.'s Avatar
Pass.of.E.r.a. Pass.of.E.r.a. is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,117
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuntitleddrummer View Post
gaming vs drumming?!?!
well Drumming for the win, but after 9 pm out of courtesy for the neighbors i stop drumming and then I generally hit the interwebz (drummerworld) and if i`m still awake I`ll sometimes play on my 360. I just don`t feel like my day is productive if I`m on my xbox all day. unless I have a friend over which is fun every now and then. I`d rather spend several hours a day leveling up real skills (drumming) instead of how well my mage can cast spells. lol

-Jonathan
__________________
Come give us a listen soundcloud.com/tylordorytrio

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-28-2009, 04:59 AM
TheGroceryman TheGroceryman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 641
Default Re: FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
well Drumming for the win, but after 9 pm out of courtesy for the neighbors i stop drumming and then I generally hit the interwebz (drummerworld) and if i`m still awake I`ll sometimes play on my 360. I just don`t feel like my day is productive if I`m on my xbox all day. unless I have a friend over which is fun every now and then. I`d rather spend several hours a day leveling up real skills (drumming) instead of how well my mage can cast spells. lol

-Jonathan
Ha, very well put, very well put indeed, and is very true.
__________________
"Defeat is crowned by Success, Only if you Persist."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com