DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-07-2009, 03:06 AM
caolte caolte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Default Ludwig Epic Reviews

I hope I'm not being redundant but I have searched around and found very few actual first person reviews about the Ludwig Epic. Is there anyone that owns these or has tested them that could tell me how they sound/how they like them and for what kind of music? I'm not interested in tastes regarding color of hardware etc. At present I am leaning toward buying a set out of all the other brands. It appears all the brand make good sets and people tend to prefer one to the other based on brand loyalties and individual preferance to subtleties or previous experience with a certain brand. Particularly, how does the thin shell of the epic sound? Does the hardware stay tuned (Like Sonor?)? I like that the toms mount to stands and not onto the bass drum - I have pearls at present and have never been able to get the toms where I want them. Your input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2009, 04:16 AM
RobertM RobertM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Here are some videos I found via You Tube that will serve as first-person reviews of the Ludwig Epic kits:

1. Full Ludwig Epic kit sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_qq...eature=related

2. Ludwig Epic tom sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtuuDvacStU

3. Full Epic kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNhu...eature=related

You could probably contact this fellow via You Tube and ask him more detailed questions about the kit in order to get more of a first-hand account.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Ludwig kits. My friend had an old late '70s Ludwig kit that I played on in the '80s sometimes--it was fun, of course, but I think Ludwig is second-tier regarding their drums (drums, not snares).

If you are really seeking thin, resonating shells, then also consider Tama Starclassic Maple, Yamaha Maple Absolute, Taye StudioMaples, and Pork Pie. Each of these companies makes super thin 6-ply shells (Tama: 5 mm/6 ply toms, 7 mm/7 ply bass drums; or Yamaha/Pork Pie: 6 mm/6 ply toms, 7 mm/7 ply bass drums, though Pork Pie is different: they do 6 ply/6 mm for 8" to 13" toms, 7 ply for 14" and up, and 8 ply, I believe, for bass drums). If you really want the birch/maple/birch sound, I suppose the Epics are the way to go--I'm not aware off the top of my head of another company doing a similar b/m/b sandwich shell. Taye StudioMaples are thinner than the Tama, Yamaha, and Pork Pie kits: 6-ply/4.5 mm shells for 8" to 13" drums and 7-ply/5.3 mm shells for 14" to 24" drums; snares are 10-ply, 7.5 mm thick. The Taye StudioMaples are much more affordable (and perhaps lower quality) than the Yamahas, Tamas, and Pork Pies, but they still sound quite good (I've played some in the past).

Of course, if you want super thin shells, then talk to forum member Wavelength about his Kumu drums. Scandinavian birch shells that are 3.6 mm for 4-ply toms and snare drums and 5.5 mm for 5-ply bass drums. To protect the shell, they add a "very thin SoulRing" as reinforcement hoops. I think those are the thinnest shells on the market!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2009, 05:51 PM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

You always need to check them out in person, and unfortunately different heads are usually a necessity. The price on them looks great. Seems they're new enough that no one's reviewed them yet. I almost bought a downbeat Epic as a gigging/practice kit.... but went with an Element SE cherry/gum kit that I got for a steal (just need to pick them up!).

The Epics are sortuva mid-level range of drums. Somewhere in between the warm maple and punchier birch.

A lot of really cool kits in this range from most manufacturers. Asian made, IIRC. Fortunately, "Asian made" doesn't mean what it used to. Hardware should be on par with other stuff in this price point.

I'd ask your friendly neighborhood Ludwig dealer if they can get a kit in for you.

-Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM
RobertM RobertM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Well, from what I've seen, heard, and read, "Asian made" is a good thing if you are talking about drums made in Japan: high-end Yamaha, Tama, and Canopus. Top quality there. "Asian made" only becomes suspect when the location becomes Taiwan, China, etc. That's when people start to worry about quality issues, cheap labor, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2009, 03:58 AM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Modern techniques seem to help make the classically bad Asian drums of the past not-too-bad. Seemingly most of the mid-range drums out there are all of Asian origin. If the original poster is after the Epic series, nearly everything in that price point will be from the East and Far East. Even the high end Japanese companies have factories in Taiwan and Indonesia. Though, there are lots of *pretty good* kits out there for the money.

-Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,214
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I just bought a "Downbeat" set up and love them especially for the money I paid, The finish looks sweet also I know you said that isn't. important but they really look & sound great I changed the toms & snare to coated ambassador's and a coated emperor for the bass they were out of PS3's damn. I also put puresound snare wires on the snare just doing that really made a difference they sound very bright but warm at the same time very happy with them I went with the natural to black fade and with the bronze rims & lugs they look very nice on stage & with the bronze hardware you don't. have to worry about fingerprints LOL.

I know they don't. have the 3-ply shells but they kinda have that vintage sound could be the bearing edges I'm not sure they sing nicely through very resident but i'm sure that because the shells are so thin.

As I said in another post I was looking for a nice cheap tuck-away gig kit and Ludwig did this nicely.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

This should help you out: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/d...-219266/review
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 PM
evilrobotchris's Avatar
evilrobotchris evilrobotchris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I know it's a long time later, and I plan on starting a new thread for this, but I just bought the Ludwig Epic Pro Beat Shell pack and couldn't be more pleased. Here's the review I wrote for Musician's Friend

I had purchased these as a replacement so my old 3 ply Maple Blue/Olive badge kit could be retired.

After initial confusion with the sales rep on whether or not the mounting bracket was included, I found that it was bundled with the shell pack, along with a tuning key AND a pair of 7a sticks. Not too bad I'd say. Used the kit last night for a session with a metal band (not my usual thing) and they sounded big and full, but didn't drown out anyone.

The hybrid birch/maple shells accomplish exactly what they were after. Thunderous boom of maple with the focused cut of birch. I even got my kit scratch and dent for $225 less, but had I paid full price, it would have been well worth it. The high gloss lacquer finish is absolutely gorgeous.

Also, the kit came with a 6.5x14 snare as opposed to a 5x14 as listed. Extra win for me.

This will be my main kit for many years to come.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,214
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrobotchris View Post
I know it's a long time later, and I plan on starting a new thread for this, but I just bought the Ludwig Epic Pro Beat Shell pack and couldn't be more pleased. Here's the review I wrote for Musician's Friend

I had purchased these as a replacement so my old 3 ply Maple Blue/Olive badge kit could be retired.

After initial confusion with the sales rep on whether or not the mounting bracket was included, I found that it was bundled with the shell pack, along with a tuning key AND a pair of 7a sticks. Not too bad I'd say. Used the kit last night for a session with a metal band (not my usual thing) and they sounded big and full, but didn't drown out anyone.

The hybrid birch/maple shells accomplish exactly what they were after. Thunderous boom of maple with the focused cut of birch. I even got my kit scratch and dent for $225 less, but had I paid full price, it would have been well worth it. The high gloss lacquer finish is absolutely gorgeous.

Also, the kit came with a 6.5x14 snare as opposed to a 5x14 as listed. Extra win for me.

This will be my main kit for many years to come.

I'm very glad with mine also I went with the downbeat config. I wanted a small gig kit and they're perfect for that.

Look out everyone Ludwig is taking over the drum market once again.
either you love it or hate it...............I love it LOL.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
t.foger
This message has been deleted by t.foger.
  #10  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM
ynotw57 ynotw57 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I have the 13, 14, 16, 18, 24 setup. I must say, the kit looks incredible with the bronze hardware and black/natural fade finish. However, I wasn't really happy about the sound. I think the maple/birch/maple hybrid shells are a good idea, but it didn't necessarily "do it" for me. The maple warms up the drum, but the bark of the birch is dead because of it.

Heads used: Remo Pinstripes on toms, Remo clear Ambassador on kick, Remo Ambassador on snare.

I wasn't a big fan of the sound, but I've heard many say they like the drums. To each their own, though. It's hard to find good samples online, so I trusted what the people said about the drums. I was disappointed, but didn't know until I tried it. I guess the best way to know is to try it out.

If you like maple, you may like the Epics.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM
The Norris The Norris is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 47
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Unfortunately i don't have pics up yet but i got the original pro beat natural/black burst with vintage hardware.
14"x6.5" snare
10"x7.5" tom
12"x8" tom
14"x14" floor tom
16"x16" floor tom
24"x14" bass drum

I have also bought the 10"x6" epic snare and will be getting an 8"x7" tom. I like 3 up 2 down set ups and i love the side snare. As far as it sounds? Just swapped out the factory heads with Evans EC2s on all toms and G1s for resonant. ST dry and Hazy 300 for main snare, G2 and Hazy 300 for side snare and an EMAD for the bass....now it truly does sound EPIC (sorry). Fantastic sound from that kit, which is my first Ludwig. Bass drum is very deep and has a great punch though i have lined the inside with soft egg shell foam. To me, it's how a bass drum should sound. The snare has a wonderful crack with great projection but still sensitive. The toms just sing really, really nice tone from them but spent a good amount of time tuning. Defo recommend EPIC series though my kit isn't the most versitile kit, more rock orientated, but thats why they have various set ups

Last edited by The Norris; 01-15-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2012, 04:59 AM
B-squared's Avatar
B-squared B-squared is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 683
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Our band practices at a high school where our bass player is the band director. He bought an Epic Euro Shell Pack. This is a great intermediate level kit and used, our bass player picked it up for $800. It had only been used in a music festival so it was pretty clean when he got it.

Aside from the fact that the kids at the school can't tune drums (floor toms aren't meant to sound like you're hitting a milk crate) the drums have a nice birch sound when tuned properly (by me). The kick drum in particular has a great punch and the snare really snaps with a nice birch overtone with quick decay.

The hardware is Smokey Chrome and it looks nice, particularly so when compared with that of other brands of mid-level drums. Ludwig has done a great job of providing a wide range of mid-level drums in some nice woods. The Epics are birch-maple-birch, 2- plies each (6 total plies). If you like birch, this is a great intermediate kit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 AM
ChuckE ChuckE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I have a Black Panther 14x4.5 snare and I've been thinking in selling it in order to get a Ludwig Epic snare 14x6.5, what do you think about it? I'm upgrading my kit or not? Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Raptus Raptus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

http://i.imgur.com/g5bBS.jpg)

I have one, it kicks a lot of ass and is very loud. If you don't dampen the kick drum with anything you'll get a really awesome boom out of it, that's how I like it. The toms have a lot of tuning range too, it's a lot of fun to play with. Overall an excellent kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckE View Post
I have a Black Panther 14x4.5 snare and I've been thinking in selling it in order to get a Ludwig Epic snare 14x6.5, what do you think about it? I'm upgrading my kit or not? Is it worth it?
The snare is probably my least favorite part of the kit. That's not to say it's bad, I just don't care much for the range of sounds I've gotten out of it. It's very loud and cuts through awesome, but personally I'm probably going to get a new snare down the line. I can't personally speak to whether it's better than your current one or not.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 AM
ChuckE ChuckE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptus View Post
http://i.imgur.com/g5bBS.jpg)

I have one, it kicks a lot of ass and is very loud. If you don't dampen the kick drum with anything you'll get a really awesome boom out of it, that's how I like it. The toms have a lot of tuning range too, it's a lot of fun to play with. Overall an excellent kit.

The snare is probably my least favorite part of the kit. That's not to say it's bad, I just don't care much for the range of sounds I've gotten out of it. It's very loud and cuts through awesome, but personally I'm probably going to get a new snare down the line. I can't personally speak to whether it's better than your current one or not.
Well i'm kinda looking for a sort of Dennis Chambers sound, like in Planet Earth, i always use low tunings for my snares so, do you think it would fit that sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edkn_v29l5A
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Raptus Raptus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I don't think I've ever gotten a tuning like that out of my snare before, albeit I've never really tried. I'm not very knowledgeable about snares so I can't really give a recommendation for a alternative. Sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
mattgroove mattgroove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Well, from what I've seen, heard, and read, "Asian made" is a good thing if you are talking about drums made in Japan: high-end Yamaha, Tama, and Canopus. Top quality there. "Asian made" only becomes suspect when the location becomes Taiwan, China, etc. That's when people start to worry about quality issues, cheap labor, etc.
If you know how to hold a stick properly and hit a drum, who cares what kit you're playing. If Bonham or Buddy Rich were to sit onto one of these Epic Kits they would sound amazing. If you can't play drums, buying a $5000 USA made kit isn't going to make you play any better
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,214
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgroove View Post
If you know how to hold a stick properly and hit a drum, who cares what kit you're playing. If Bonham or Buddy Rich were to sit onto one of these Epic Kits they would sound amazing. If you can't play drums, buying a $5000 USA made kit isn't going to make you play any better
Well put brother. good drummers can make anything sound good not to say the Epic's aren't. good i'm very pleased with mine.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 AM
rogue_drummer's Avatar
rogue_drummer rogue_drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,217
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Kind of a silly question, but does anyone know if I can get a 13 x 9" tom separately from Ludwig? Ludwig Epic. Does Ludwig do that separate ordering?

Thanks!
__________________
I don't aim to be the best, just the best looking.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
drumer12b
This message has been deleted by drumer12b. Reason: messed up message and attachments
  #20  
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
drumer12b drumer12b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bucks County Pa.
Posts: 42
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I've owned my Epic power series for about a year now. 22,10,12,13,16 and 6.5x14 snare. I agree with these posts, I couldn't find many reviews either when I was looking last year!! But after comparing these to all of the other competition's mid level kits, these seemed to have the most features for the price. Not to mention free hardware package and 10" tom. So all in all I'm pretty satisfied. They sound loud and with great tone, almost as if they are miked. Thanks to the toms being only a 6ply shell. They're nice and light when loading and unloading. The bass drum 22x18 sounds nice, boomy and big! I have found one or two minor flaws with the craftsmanship and sloppy serial/date stamping, but the hardware and features out-weigh that stuff. 10 tuning lugs for the snare and bass drum helps make it more comparable to an upper level kit. Eh, not too happy they are assembled in China and not U.S.A. like Ludwig's upper level, but I suppose this is the future with most of the other companies anyways. But being a part-time pro, I can't justify spending $3000.00 on a kit.
What do you other Epic players think of your kits??
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
drumer12b drumer12b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bucks County Pa.
Posts: 42
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Here's my current Epic set up. 12,13,16,22,14x6.5. It also came with a 10 but I do not use it.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
MasterCylinder's Avatar
MasterCylinder MasterCylinder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 183
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumer12b View Post
I've owned my Epic power series for about a year now.
What do you other Epic players think of your kits??
I've had my Ludwig Epic series drums since late February.............they are great.
I have been very pleasantly surprised how good these shells can sound when you get some good heads on them.
My main set is a '77 vintage Gretsch USA Custom kit but right now I'm loving these Epics.



__________________
Gretsch & Zildjian
(What Else Would I Ever Need ?)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM
The Norris The Norris is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 47
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Great to see the pics up MC
Still need to get pics of my kit posted, will be doing that soon
__________________
Ludwig - Yamaha - Zildjian - Evans - Vic Firth - Pro-mark
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM
rogue_drummer's Avatar
rogue_drummer rogue_drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,217
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

What do you other Epic players think of your kits??

Got the Epic Euro setup with the 10" and 12" toms, 14 x 6.5 snare, 14 and 16" floor toms and the 24 x 14 inch kick.

I originally didn't want the large kick, but I bought it off eBay and the seller erroneously listed the kick as 22 x 16 and they were too much of a pain to deal with originally, so I just decided to keep the whole thing. With shippping and all it was $600 for their very well-kept floor model.

I'm surprised at how good they sound. Mine is the natural to fade to black with bronze lugs and rods and rims. Looks fantastic!

My ONLY gripe is the snare throw off - it sucks. It hangs up. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement?
__________________
I don't aim to be the best, just the best looking.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 AM
MasterCylinder's Avatar
MasterCylinder MasterCylinder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 183
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
I'm surprised at how good they sound. Mine is the natural to fade to black with bronze lugs and rods and rims. Looks fantastic!

My ONLY gripe is the snare throw off - it sucks. It hangs up. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement?
Agreed -- for the money, EPIC has a very good sound and looks good too.
I'm glad you asked everybody here about the throw...................mine works fine but, I want to hear some other opinions on the idea of replacements. When I got my EPIC set, the biggest problem I had getting a drum to sound good was with the snare drum.............to my surprise, the easiest was the 14" floor tom............I love that drum.............first small floor tom I've ever owned and it is terrific.
I got the Natural Birch finish and I have toyed with the idea of buying "THE BRICK" 20-ply snare [in natural birch as well] and using the original snare as a side model...........still thinking about it. I think I might like the depth and pop of that BRICK.
__________________
Gretsch & Zildjian
(What Else Would I Ever Need ?)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 PM
rogue_drummer's Avatar
rogue_drummer rogue_drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,217
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Over the weekend I was able to easily fix the snare throwoff. Now my new best friend is WD-40. I sprayed some of that into the throwoff mechanism, worked it a bit and it seemed to free the throwoff up a lot. No more hanging.

But it's loud whenever I turn the snares off and on. The whole mechanism is loud.
__________________
I don't aim to be the best, just the best looking.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM
mikeyhanson's Avatar
mikeyhanson mikeyhanson is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 731
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Although I had the same problem researching the Epic Centennials before I bought them, I got to hear a kit live, which was good enough for me. In an effort to help anybody else who may be looking for opinions on the kit, here's my review:
I was looking for something that could fit right in with touring, gigging and lots of activity.

I bought the Epic Centennials in Red Sparkle:
24"x16" kick
13"x10" tom
16"x14" floor tom
18"x16" floor tom


I'm very impressed with the shells. They sound great with either Ambassadors, Pinstripes or EC2s. The kick drum has incredible depth, as well as presence. It's the thickest drum at [I believe but I'm not positive] 8-ply. Still, it's surprisingly light and not causing me any more noticeable difficulty with the additional two inches of girth.
An unmuffled kick sounds brutal and raw, and could bring the house down. Slight muffling focuses its tone and gives incredible punch and clarity....like the sound of a cannon.
The rack tom is of a nice size and weight, and is a good compliment to the two floor toms without sounding too shallow or high. The floor toms have remarkable, lasting tone, and when together with the kick, don't crawl over each other looking for ear space. The 16"x14" is especially great, as it seems that the 2" difference in depth to a standard 16"x16" makes it much more controllable, and gives it a fantastic, round, full tone without sounding papery.
The mini-lugs make the kit feel even bigger, and [feel like they] keep the weight down. All the drums are surprisingly light and easy to maneuver. Rich and full tones with no vibrations or weirdness. And they all compliment each other, which is great.

The rack tom comes with a mounting bracket and the RIM mount, but I don't use it, instead option to put my rack on a snare stand. And while doing that does take a little sustain away from the rack, it's still not enough to bother me, and allows me to control ring a litte more without going to the tape. It doesn't move at all, and with a tall snare stand it fits nicely around a 24" kick without being too far out in left field.

Initially I bought the shell pack without the snare drum. Eventually, however, I bought a maple snare drum to go with it....the Ludwig Epic Centurian Sapele Maple. I had seen that and The Brick both listed on sale at a music store, so I went down and tried each out. The Brick was nice, but heavy. The Centurian was a bit lighter and felt like it would do what I wanted very easily. I has proven very capable at everything I've thrown at it so far. It's got great pop when tightened, and can handle low-tunings as well.

I'm so completely satisfied with my purchase that I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have even considered finding a 2nd kit so that I would have extras and options.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM
longgun's Avatar
longgun longgun is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,330
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhanson View Post
Although I had the same problem researching the Epic Centennials before I bought them, I got to hear a kit live, which was good enough for me. In an effort to help anybody else who may be looking for opinions on the kit, here's my review:
I was looking for something that could fit right in with touring, gigging and lots of activity.

I bought the Epic Centennials in Red Sparkle:
24"x16" kick
13"x10" tom
16"x14" floor tom
18"x16" floor tom


I'm very impressed with the shells. They sound great with either Ambassadors, Pinstripes or EC2s. The kick drum has incredible depth, as well as presence. It's the thickest drum at [I believe but I'm not positive] 8-ply. Still, it's surprisingly light and not causing me any more noticeable difficulty with the additional two inches of girth.
An unmuffled kick sounds brutal and raw, and could bring the house down. Slight muffling focuses its tone and gives incredible punch and clarity....like the sound of a cannon.
The rack tom is of a nice size and weight, and is a good compliment to the two floor toms without sounding too shallow or high. The floor toms have remarkable, lasting tone, and when together with the kick, don't crawl over each other looking for ear space. The 16"x14" is especially great, as it seems that the 2" difference in depth to a standard 16"x16" makes it much more controllable, and gives it a fantastic, round, full tone without sounding papery.
The mini-lugs make the kit feel even bigger, and [feel like they] keep the weight down. All the drums are surprisingly light and easy to maneuver. Rich and full tones with no vibrations or weirdness. And they all compliment each other, which is great.

The rack tom comes with a mounting bracket and the RIM mount, but I don't use it, instead option to put my rack on a snare stand. And while doing that does take a little sustain away from the rack, it's still not enough to bother me, and allows me to control ring a litte more without going to the tape. It doesn't move at all, and with a tall snare stand it fits nicely around a 24" kick without being too far out in left field.

Initially I bought the shell pack without the snare drum. Eventually, however, I bought a maple snare drum to go with it....the Ludwig Epic Centurian Sapele Maple. I had seen that and The Brick both listed on sale at a music store, so I went down and tried each out. The Brick was nice, but heavy. The Centurian was a bit lighter and felt like it would do what I wanted very easily. I has proven very capable at everything I've thrown at it so far. It's got great pop when tightened, and can handle low-tunings as well.

I'm so completely satisfied with my purchase that I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have even considered finding a 2nd kit so that I would have extras and options.
Kit looks great Mikey......always loved the "Zep" sizes..........someday
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM
vipe155 vipe155 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 38
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

mikeyhanson... do yourself a favor and put the rack tom stand around only the rim of the drum, i.e don't have the whole drum resting on the stand. See the linked picture, and look at the rack tom in it. Should help in the sustain reduction department.

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/de...k_oyster_V.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM
mikeyhanson's Avatar
mikeyhanson mikeyhanson is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 731
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Thanks longgun, I love 'em. Worth every penny.

Interesting idea, vipe, so I tried it. There's more sustain your way, but it does set my drum in a bit of a precarious position, as well as higher. I'll test it out at some other places and see what happens.
But this isn't a thing. I've been putting my tom in a stand for a long time and prefer it. It sits loosely in the carriage, just tight enough to protect it from tipping out.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
vipe155 vipe155 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 38
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Hey, whatever works. I actually "grip" the stand around the rim of my rack and my snare. I don't have mine at quite the angle you do on the rack tom though.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM
StaggerLee StaggerLee is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: maldon, essex
Posts: 536
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I upgraded from a ludwig element to the epic downbeat that i brought online. The only thing i didnt like what the floor tom so i went on ebay and found a 16x15 and sold the 14x14. So that is what i use, though I also use a premier 8x6 on my kit (sentimental reasons, was the first drum I ever brought myself, and in this size they tend to all sound the same anyway so i dont want to be a brand obsesser). I love it, absaloutely love it. I remember when Ludwig first debuted these kits they gave them to some industry professionals and made them use them for publicity. However in the end only a handful gave them back as they loved the sound. They were meant as there answer to the cheaper end of the high end gear, and replaced centennials. Though sadly the poor heads and GOD AWFUL hardware meant the saturns and MCX and Dios proved to be the better choice by at least 99% of people. Some people prefer it, like me, but it means spending a bit more cash than usual (at least a full set of new heads and hardware) which in the end causes them to match or be more expensive in cost than its competition. I think the major downfall is that if you sit down and play an MCX, Dios or Saturn you can instantly hear them being great whereas the epic sadly sounds sub par with its stocks. Its only when you stick on some ambassadors that the thin shells and 2.3mm hoops come together to make that unmistakable ludwig sound. I <3 it.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
drumer12b drumer12b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bucks County Pa.
Posts: 42
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Have you guys seen these two deals on eBay? If I wasn't looking to replace a few of my old Zildjians, I probably would try to land one of these for either a third kit, or try to resell for profit. That is, if I were to win one for the current listing prices.....but so far, these are a steal....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Epic-...item5d35f95e76


http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Epic-...ht_2491wt_1129
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
drumer12b drumer12b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bucks County Pa.
Posts: 42
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

[quote=MasterCylinder;1062909]I've had my Ludwig Epic series drums since late February.............they are great.
I have been very pleasantly surprised how good these shells can sound when you get some good heads on them.
My main set is a '77 vintage Gretsch USA Custom kit but right now I'm loving these Epics.

>>>>>>>>

Great looking kit. Yeah, I still own my 1985 Premier Resonator kit that I consider as my "main kit" but like you said, I'm REALLY loving these Ludwig Epics. The resonators have always sounded thunderous but the Epics, assuming due to it's design and the thinner ply shells, have gotten more compliments in overall sound than my Premiers playing live. I wish I could get these into a studio. Unfortunately, I do not record anymore or have been in any situations to do so....
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumer12b View Post
Have you guys seen these two deals on eBay? If I wasn't looking to replace a few of my old Zildjians, I probably would try to land one of these for either a third kit, or try to resell for profit. That is, if I were to win one for the current listing prices.....but so far, these are a steal....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Epic-...item5d35f95e76


http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Epic-...ht_2491wt_1129


I highly doubt either of those will sell below $700
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
drumer12b drumer12b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bucks County Pa.
Posts: 42
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
I highly doubt either of those will sell below $700
Dude, I hate to burst your bubble, but check out my screen shot of those two eBay listings of those Epic kits, that also included Mapex hardware....I'm kicking myself!! hahaha....Someone got a pretty fine deal in my opinion......
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
A-customs's Avatar
A-customs A-customs is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south new jersey
Posts: 560
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Love the Red sparkle kit Mikey.....
__________________
Yamaha,Ludwig. A Customs.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

dammmnnnn, thats a pretty sweet deal..I bet they have a few more coming soon. this is the time of the year for deals like this if your patient.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 AM
rogue_drummer's Avatar
rogue_drummer rogue_drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,217
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

I bagged a set of Ludwig epic euros a few months ago from ebay. It came with the stock Ludwig UK heads. Question to the forum: What batter heads and resos would sound best with these birch, maple, birch shells? Thanks!
__________________
I don't aim to be the best, just the best looking.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 AM
mikeyhanson's Avatar
mikeyhanson mikeyhanson is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 731
Default Re: Ludwig Epic Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-customs View Post
Love the Red sparkle kit Mikey.....
Thanks A.....or A-.....not sure which. :)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com