DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 AM

Default Double Pedal Recommendations

Hey DW, I'm looking to upgrade from my current Pearl 120P double pedal which is in pretty bad shape. I play mostly metal, a lot of blast beats and fast double bass patterns, and I'm looking for a decent pedal under $500 that includes some kind of bag or carrying case. I was looking at the Pearl P 2002B Eliminator as a possible choice. Anyone have any advice on this or other brands? Thanks so much!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Double Pedal Recommendations

hmm for metal i always love axis but under $500 i would go with dw 5000 or the next one up i dont know them well but my buddy uses a 5000 and it works pretty well. it has great features so besides axis that would be my next pedal and save up for an axis if u will some time because they are worth it all i love mine sooo much
Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar442 View Post
hmm for metal i always love axis but under $500 i would go with dw 5000 or the next one up i dont know them well but my buddy uses a 5000 and it works pretty well. it has great features so besides axis that would be my next pedal and save up for an axis if u will some time because they are worth it all i love mine sooo much
hmmm... I might have to go with the 5000, seeing as I'm a starving college student :P lol I'm going to try a few out at sam ash this weekend and see if a DW is right for me

thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Yamaha Direct Drive double pedals are nice

DFP-9415
DFP 9500d (new model)
Old 09-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post

DFP-9415
DFP 9500d (new model)
Yep also check out e-bay ;-) Lots of killer deals to be had if you take time to really search.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhedd View Post
I was looking at the Pearl P 2002B Eliminator as a possible choice.
No need to look further. You are already familiar with the feel of Pearl pedals and you'll love the extra adjustability. Since you play death metal, you might find it interesting to know that Flo Mounier of Cryptopsy, Hannes Grossman of Obscura and ex-Necrophagist, and Jade Simonetto of Hate Eternal all use the Eliminators.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 AM

so I can only comment on what I've tried.... DW9002, don't waste your money. This thing is indeed smooth, but it was like driving a tank!
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide, eh, gets a big yawn. Not a bad pedal, but nothing to get excited over either.
Premier, maybe they've improved over the years, but the pedal I had was a POS.

So what would I buy? Based on my current research, I'd go with the DW 5002!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
No need to look further. You are already familiar with the feel of Pearl pedals and you'll love the extra adjustability. Since you play death metal, you might find it interesting to know that Flo Mounier of Cryptopsy, Hannes Grossman of Obscura and ex-Necrophagist, and Jade Simonetto of Hate Eternal all use the Eliminators.
Yeah i love the feel of Pearl's pedals, they're so light... the only thing is, I'd like to try a longboard because I have size 14 feet and the Demon Drive is waaaay out of my price range :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
so I can only comment on what I've tried.... DW9002, don't waste your money. This thing is indeed smooth, but it was like driving a tank!
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide, eh, gets a big yawn. Not a bad pedal, but nothing to get excited over either.
Premier, maybe they've improved over the years, but the pedal I had was a POS.

So what would I buy? Based on my current research, I'd go with the DW 5002!
How about the 5002 or 8002 longboards?

(thanks you guys!)
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post

DFP-9415
DFP 9500d (new model)
They make any longboard pedals?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:19 PM

DW's are good, i would go for the longboards(better for blasting, because your feet slip down to the heel plate otherwise lol)

But if i could offer one suggest, it would be to try and buy a double axis pedal. axis x's are cheaper then A's and are the best axis pedals for performance and speed. You should be able to get a used double axis pedal for about the same price as a dw5000, depending on how many drummer there are around you or around the area that it would be being sold at.

Wow that was a mouthful, but that'd my input :). Good luck mate! And remember, TRY before you BUY. :)

Daphfz
Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Axis pedals aren't expensive to my knowledge atleast and they are longboards or you can get long board
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Axis have shortboards and longboards, the longboars are about $100-200 more.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 PM

Axis' stuff looks pretty good, I have yet to play on a double pedal of theirs, but.... what exactly is the difference between the "A" series and "X" series?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 AM

the X series is more focused on performance and speed, The A series is more focused on individual comfort for each player(waste of money if you ask me, the X's that i have are so much faster then the A's my friend owns). But try to find a place that stocks them or soemthing so you can try them out.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphfz View Post
the X series is more focused on performance and speed, The A series is more focused on individual comfort for each player(waste of money if you ask me, the X's that i have are so much faster then the A's my friend owns). But try to find a place that stocks them or soemthing so you can try them out.
maybe his A's don't seem as fast because they are set up to his preferences and not yours ;-) They are essentially the same pedals, one has more adjustments which if you are like me my 9000 I used all the adjustments to customized the pedal to my playing style.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Hmmm.... well, thanks for all the info, guys! Now all I have to do is go out and try a few... I'll keep ya posted on what I decide to go with.
thanks again!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
maybe his A's don't seem as fast because they are set up to his preferences and not yours ;-) They are essentially the same pedals, one has more adjustments which if you are like me my 9000 I used all the adjustments to customized the pedal to my playing style.
Nah i borrowed his A's for a couple of weeks n adjusted everything till it was almost a mirror image of my X's, still didnt go as fast was always 20+ BPM Under what i can usually do
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 AM

The only difference between the Axis A & X is the Variable Drive Lever. The A model allows you to adjust the feel of the cam between power/speed. The X model has a fixed piece between the footboard and the beater, which results in a slightly higher angle for the shortboard models. I have both pedals and they are the exact same pedal minus the VDL. You can add longboards, sonic hammers, and high tension springs to either model. Their is no difference in how fast you can play either one.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Yes that is quite true. I am to this day still unsure what caused the lag that i was experiencing on the A's. but in anycase good luck drumhedd! :)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar442 View Post

Axis is out with a new pedal soon. What this'll mean is affordable Axi may soon be seen on the used market as enthusiast will be hot to trade-up.

Axis pedals don't wear-out... well they wear, but user can tighten them up to 'like new' spec's with an allen wrench, so used means a little cleaning and virtually new.

The new Aixs pedal is based on the current platform, so don't expect a totally new alien, more like refinements, a few of which will be easily retrofittable.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 09-11-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 PM

I have the Iron Cobra Power Glides and I like them. Maybe one day I will be able to afford Axis pedals.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 PM

DW 9002! AND u can get it at rainbowguitars.com for 100 bucks less!! 450! thats what i got mine for. i went to guitarcenter and said hey i found these pedals for 100 bucks less and showed them the site and guitarcenter HASTO sell there stuff at the lowest price u can find them at. well thats when i bought them last month. they should still be at that price.