DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

Default Drummerworld: meet SCOTT!

Hi all,

I am so excited, since today my band is finally online. We've got a videoclip and a website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_HirlOLjG8

http://www.scottmusiconline.com

Please tell me what you think and send it to all your friends if you like it!

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drummerworld: meet SCOTT!

I love everything about this. Great composition, lyrics, arrangement, playing. It has everything going for it. Congratulations on a superb job. I wish you every success and good luck, although I doubt you'll need it. Best start up act post I've ever seen, ever. Just fantastic!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I love everything about this. Great composition, lyrics, arrangement, playing. It has everything going for it. Congratulations on a superb job. I wish you every success and good luck, although I doubt you'll need it. Best start up act post I've ever seen, ever. Just fantastic!
Wow! Really? Thanks man! Don't know what to say to that...
Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Just take compliments as they come. Your band is a fascinating mix of early Elton sound, ABBA arrangement & Elvis Costello presentation. Quite unique.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 PM

Pretty unique sound, I agree.

I definitely heard influences of ABBA and Elton in there as well.

Your singer has got a voice that would only work with that kind of music, really. Luckily anyway :P

Your drumming is what I'd call "safe". I think in some parts it could do with a little flare when there's not much else happening musically but that's just me.

Awesome song, though. I approve greatly.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

I thought it sounded good. Obviously the three of you play for the song but I thought it missed just a litte something.

Good luck to you guys and hope you'll reach your goal.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the compliments. To be compared to Abba and Elton (John?) is a great compliment indeed. I am very curious how things will develop..
Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Wow! I was expecting another lame attempt at band practice, but this is just awesome! Fantastic song, even better video!

Did you do this by yourselves? Professional help?

(and I really hear the ABBA in it)

Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Frank! What a great band and great sound! Love the song, love your playing, love the sound of the piano in the band, love the video, AND...my son loves your guitar player's 'Steve Vai' custom Ibanez JEM.

Fantastic.. thats all I can say!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice indeed. Well done.

I fail to understand someone commenting on the drumming as "safe". I mean why????

The drumtrack should be appropriate. It was. As such it sounded professional. Amateurs overplay.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Very nice chord changes. As I play guitar and keyboard also, I can really appreciate it and also understand why ABBA was mentioned. Very cool...

Fishnmusicn
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

I commented it as 'safe' because that's my opinion exclamation point exclamation point exclamation point exclamation point.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Frank! That's awesome, man! Good music, nice drumming...and the video is impressive too!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

My main critique for you would be your demeanor in the video. Your singer is all dramatic and you look bored to tears back there on the drums. You guys are trying to sell yourselves with the video, and you seem disinterested.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM

It lacked a more little of will man....
but it is good...

hugs
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
You guys are trying to sell yourselves with the video, and you seem disinterested.
So did Charlie Watts. See where it got him!

Last edited by aydee; 09-04-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 AM

lovely man,really,the video is great& your drumming is sweet!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post

I fail to understand someone commenting on the drumming as "safe". I mean why????

The drumtrack should be appropriate. It was. As such it sounded professional. Amateurs overplay.
Agreed! You only need to consider my DW name to take a guess at my opinion on this.

Ok, you can always find ways to "spice up" a track but does it usually improve the end product? Not necessarily so. I think this track is all about the song. The lyrics are simple yet captivating. Any extra dynamics would detract from the overall feel of the song in my opinion. I'm a great fan of dynamic performance but applied when appropriate. Some of you guys need to view this performance from a non musicians perspective. When producing a product like this, that's what really matters. Judge this fine effort in context. It's the band's first track posting effort. They're a mainland Europen act catering (initially at least) to a mainland European market. Very different from the sometimes overt performance expectations of the US / UK market.

I stick by my original praise of this end result even though it's not my kind of material. For a first effort, I think it's simply stunning. They've really taken on board what goes into composing & performing a great song. Restraint is a rare quality in a start up band. If these guys have another 4 or 5 songs of this quality, they'll get signed tomorrow, and quite rightly too!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Aydee - I know you're playing Devil's Advocate, but Watts had a little bit of personality behind the drums. Ringo had a bunch of it - even when playing the simplest thing.

All I'm saying is that it seemed unnerving to me to see the singer pouring on like a lead in an opera - falling to his knees, chest hair flyin', singing to the wind - while the drummer looks like he'd rather be anywhere else... No mojo in that motion...I need some mojo. If even for the video, ham it up a bit and join the party.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
Wow! I was expecting another lame attempt at band practice, but this is just awesome! Fantastic song, even better video!

Did you do this by yourselves? Professional help?

(and I really hear the ABBA in it)
Thanks man. We did this without the help of a recordcompany. Glad you like the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Wow Frank! What a great band and great sound! Love the song, love your playing, love the sound of the piano in the band, love the video, AND...my son loves your guitar player's 'Steve Vai' custom Ibanez JEM.

Fantastic.. thats all I can say!
Thank you very much :-). The guitar fits the style of the video perfectly, so that was a happy coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post

Thank you Wy Yung. After reading so much of 'drumming for the song' here on drummerworld, it's what I want to do. I am the drummer, not 'the act', but the guy that lays the foundation and rhythm for the other musicians. I've tried to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnmusicn View Post
Very nice chord changes. As I play guitar and keyboard also, I can really appreciate it and also understand why ABBA was mentioned. Very cool...
Hey Fishnmusicn, what Abba song are you referring to? I love Abba, but I don't see how it's like our music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Frank! That's awesome, man! Good music, nice drumming...and the video is impressive too!
Thanks man, I appreciate it :-).

Quote:
My main critique for you would be your demeanor in the video. Your singer is all dramatic and you look bored to tears back there on the drums. You guys are trying to sell yourselves with the video, and you seem disinterested.
You are so right. I am not bored to tears, but what you see is pure concentration and just my 'drum face'. The day after the shooting of the clip I kicked myself for not smiling and not being more 'dramatic' as the other guys, but it was already to late. On the other hand the song does not ask for a happy drummer I think, but if I knew then what I knew a day later I would've looked less bored. It's just that it's my first time, it was all new to me, I had to drum softer then normal to hear the music to play along to. All things that made me a little tense, and that's what you see.

Quote:
I don't understand what you want to say at all, but thanks :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodaquino View Post
lovely man,really,the video is great& your drumming is sweet!
Thanks! You're a great drummer by the way, just watched your video you posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Agreed! You only need to consider my DW name to take a guess at my opinion on this.

Ok, you can always find ways to "spice up" a track but does it usually improve the end product? Not necessarily so. I think this track is all about the song. The lyrics are simple yet captivating. Any extra dynamics would detract from the overall feel of the song in my opinion. I'm a great fan of dynamic performance but applied when appropriate. Some of you guys need to view this performance from a non musicians perspective. When producing a product like this, that's what really matters. Judge this fine effort in context. It's the band's first track posting effort. They're a mainland Europen act catering (initially at least) to a mainland European market. Very different from the sometimes overt performance expectations of the US / UK market.

I stick by my original praise of this end result even though it's not my kind of material. For a first effort, I think it's simply stunning. They've really taken on board what goes into composing & performing a great song. Restraint is a rare quality in a start up band. If these guys have another 4 or 5 songs of this quality, they'll get signed tomorrow, and quite rightly too!
You say it exactly as we think it is. We want to make great songs, not for musicians but for 'the people'. We do have more songs, you can download them for free on the website, so I hope your prophecy comes true and we'll get signed :-P.

Quote:
Aydee - I know you're playing Devil's Advocate, but Watts had a little bit of personality behind the drums. Ringo had a bunch of it - even when playing the simplest thing.

All I'm saying is that it seemed unnerving to me to see the singer pouring on like a lead in an opera - falling to his knees, chest hair flyin', singing to the wind - while the drummer looks like he'd rather be anywhere else... No mojo in that motion...I need some mojo. If even for the video, ham it up a bit and join the party.
If we get the opportunity to record another videoclip I'll give you mojo, promised :-).
Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Everyone's a critic =)
Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 AM

The chord types, the drama from the lead singer, the steady beat except for simple changes that mirrors ABBA's music... I've got to listen to their greatest hits to give you the song that mostly resembles what you're doing. It's a compliment - I haven't heard a song with the theatrical approach for a long time that I appreciate, there aren't many around that you could compare. I'm going to disagree with the Colonel since the tone of the song doesn't need any flash - It's too soul searching and somber even though the lead singer is ranting, you don't want to be having too good of a time, it doesn't make sense.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Well done, Frank! It's not the kind of music I listen to but you guys are very together, all good players. One thing ... on your website there's mention of your frontman's "virtuous" piano skills. I could be wrong but I think the writer meant to say "virtuoso"?

Tricky for you re: the drummer face. It's a dramatic song so you can't groove and smile. I suppose you could add some histrionics like your guitarist did - you know, where the drummer makes hitting a cymbal look as though it's really, really difficult (been there :) - but not too over the top for this genre. Maybe crank up the mojo dial by just one notch (ie. not to 11).

The question is, how do you stay relaxed to play well while looking as though you're squeezing the last ounce of emotion out of your cymbal? A balancing act ...

I don't want to be intrusive, but I think the beard makes you look like the odd man out, and it's maybe a shame because based on your other pics you're very good looking!

Best of luck with it but, as KIS suggested, you guys are talented enough to make your own luck.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I don't want to be intrusive, but I think the beard makes you look like the odd man out, and it's maybe a shame because based on your other pics you're very good looking!
Polly, quit flirting, he wears a wedding band too. : - l
Old 09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Big_Philly

I already said this in another thread but this is really awesome! Good to see you've found a good band and that you guys are really making an effort to get your music out there! I understand the comparison with abba. I had an association with Alan parson's project, though I am not sure why. Could be the singing... Anyway, judging by the video and the song I can hardly believe you've only been playing for three years. Couldn't have played it better myself, and I have been playing for 10 years more than you...

Keep up the good work! And like I said: let me know if there's a gig in or anywhere near Enschede and I'll come and check it out!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Polly, quit flirting, he wears a wedding band too. : - l
That ain't flirting, Abe, I'm just calling it as I see it. You wanna see FLIRTING, babycakes?? *evil grin*

I'm old enough to be his mum but it can't hurt for a band to look good and no one else here is likely to say it (as far as I know) :-P
Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Polly, sadly, a part of my business is the business end of music. (The fun end of it, I keep tucked away)

What you ( and Erik earlier ) talk of, indeed is an unfortunate truth that sits very uncomfortably with me personally.

Since when did music have to look good?

We've always taken it for granted, haven't we? It seem like an eternal truth, kinda like the steam engine, computers and cell phones. Hasnt it always been this way?

Not really. 1981 is when how you looked, dressed, acted, really started to matter.

I'm a part of this industry that designs and serves up these neat little gift- packs of music, fashion, attitude hot out of the oven.

Yuck, is what I say to myself sometimes.

Music is what music does, not what you do. At least thats how it should be.

Maybe someday we will regress...........probably not.

:(
Old 09-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

I think you have managed to realize every young drummers dream with this presentation.
And in my case even an old drummer. I find no faults and really like the total package.
Nothing but GOOD stuff.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Polly, sadly, a part of my business is the business end of music. (The fun end of it, I keep tucked away)

What you ( and Erik earlier ) talk of, indeed is an unfortunate truth that sits very uncomfortably with me personally. Since when did music have to look good?

We've always taken it for granted, haven't we? It seem like an eternal truth, kinda like the steam engine, computers and cell phones. Hasnt it always been this way? Not really. 1981 is when how you looked, dressed, acted, really started to matter.
Visual presentation - be it clothes, showmanship, whatever - has always been important in music, not all music, but always in some music. After all, live work is visual as well as aural. When a band makes the effort to look good (or interesting) in a way that fits the music's message or feel, it can enhance the experience for audiences. The idea is to present a cohesive message - the band acting as an integrated unit to put their message across (even if the message is just "get down and boogie"). Obviously, with music videos the same applies.

I agree there's increased emphasis on visuals now, though, especially sexiness (notwithstanding the screams of Beatles fans). Still, disco predated the 80s haircut bands in focusing on visuals, not to mention The New York Dolls and the glam rockers who followed, or hard rockers' prediliction for blow-wave hair (seemingly their chest hair too) plus tight leather pants and a pair of socks ...

Like many musos, I care less about visuals than most laypersons, but when giving feedback on a professional quality vid like Franks' band I can imagine what a lot of producers and fans might think.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Visual presentation - be it clothes, showmanship, whatever - has always been important in music, not all music, but always in some music. After all, live work is visual as well as aural. When a band makes the effort to look good (or interesting) in a way that fits the music's message or feel, it can enhance the experience for audiences. The idea is to present a cohesive message - the band acting as an integrated unit to put their message across (even if the message is just "get down and boogie"). Obviously, with music videos the same applies.

I agree there's increased emphasis on visuals now, though, especially sexiness (notwithstanding the screams of Beatles fans). Still, disco predated the 80s haircut bands in focusing on visuals, not to mention The New York Dolls and the glam rockers who followed, or hard rockers' prediliction for blow-wave hair (seemingly their chest hair too) plus tight leather pants and a pair of socks ...

Like many musos, I care less about visuals than most laypersons, but when giving feedback on a professional quality vid like Franks' band I can imagine what a lot of producers and fans might think.
yup.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Haha, as always the beard is a point of discussion. We have had advise from a professional stylist however, on how to look as a band. The first thing she said was: "Keep the beard, it fits your style". So I have to keep it :-P. Maybe I have to cut it a little one day, to make it look more civilized, but untill the point that it's not necessary I'll keep on growing it :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
I already said this in another thread but this is really awesome! Good to see you've found a good band and that you guys are really making an effort to get your music out there! I understand the comparison with abba. I had an association with Alan parson's project, though I am not sure why. Could be the singing... Anyway, judging by the video and the song I can hardly believe you've only been playing for three years. Couldn't have played it better myself, and I have been playing for 10 years more than you...

Keep up the good work! And like I said: let me know if there's a gig in or anywhere near Enschede and I'll come and check it out!
Thanks Phillip. The comparison to Alan Parson's Project might be because of my first drumcover ever was "Eye in the Sky", and I've posted it here on DW? Great compliment that you would play the same way. I'll let you know when we'll have gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I think you have managed to realize every young drummers dream with this presentation.
And in my case even an old drummer. I find no faults and really like the total package.
Nothing but GOOD stuff.
Thanks! It's all a matter of luck and being on the right place at the right time, so I can't take any credits for it.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Frank,
I tip my hat to you and your band. I really enjoyed that and I wish you all nothing but the best.

Michael
Old 09-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

That is one of the mos interesting sounds I have ever heard, and I love it! Keep up all of the good work!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Haha, as always the beard is a point of discussion. We have had advise from a professional stylist however, on how to look as a band. The first thing she said was: "Keep the beard, it fits your style". So I have to keep it :-P. Maybe I have to cut it a little one day, to make it look more civilized, but untill the point that it's not necessary I'll keep on growing it :-).
Ok Frank, I bow to the superior knowledge of the professional stylist. It's definitely more interesting than a conventional beard IMO and no doubt saves you a lot of time otherwise spent shaving too :)

I wouldn't like you to think that was the main thing I got from your vid. What impressed me about your playing was, apart from the good, clean time, was your compositional sense (and that of the others in the band). It was bang on, giving the track a quasi-orchestral sound at times.

Hope the band is making soome waves; you guys are good.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks so much for sharing the post.
Simulation pret immobilier | Taux credit immobilier de France | Calcul de financement par courtier
Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Frank,
I tip my hat to you and your band. I really enjoyed that and I wish you all nothing but the best.

Michael
Thanks Michael!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
That is one of the mos interesting sounds I have ever heard, and I love it! Keep up all of the good work!
That's a great compliment, thank you :-). Look at our other two free songs on www.scottmusiconline.com aswell, you might like them too..

Quote:
Ok Frank, I bow to the superior knowledge of the professional stylist. It's definitely more interesting than a conventional beard IMO and no doubt saves you a lot of time otherwise spent shaving too :)

I wouldn't like you to think that was the main thing I got from your vid. What impressed me about your playing was, apart from the good, clean time, was your compositional sense (and that of the others in the band). It was bang on, giving the track a quasi-orchestral sound at times.

Hope the band is making soome waves; you guys are good.
Thanks for commenting on my playing. You've put in words exactly what I want to achieve with my playing.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Just got DSL (after having dial-up forever) and figured I'd browse through the Your Playing section and I came across this... Wow, your band has some amazing music, man! Beautiful, creative chord progressions (and everything else) - I hope you guys continue what your doing.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 PM

I think aydee nailed it: 1981 was the year it all changed. That was the year MTV started, and all the B.S. about visual presentation eclipsed popular music by far. Some less attractive musicians got away with it because they were already successful enough-Phil Collins comes to mind- but musicians like Christopher Cross, for example, were done for.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Pioneer Member

GREAT SONG!

I really dig this man - the band sounds absolutely killer! The singer really knows what he's doing. He has an incredible and unique voice and he really adds an interesting feel to the music. The drumming and guitar playing is great - really good stuff from all of you. And I do agree that you should of "rocked out" a bit more to really get the energy flowing. The other thing I would alter would be the drumming that starts with the guitar solo at 2:15. I don't particularly like the closed hi-hat feel, I was kind of expecting more of a ride cymbal crashing part or an intense open hi-hat feel. But yeah, that's just my two cents.

Great stuff,
Tom
Old 11-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just got DSL (after having dial-up forever) and figured I'd browse through the Your Playing section and I came across this... Wow, your band has some amazing music, man! Beautiful, creative chord progressions (and everything else) - I hope you guys continue what your doing.
Hey Matt, great to hear you like it! We're rehearsing really hard to get better every week, so I sure hope we get a chance to continue doing what we love for a long time :-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrosset View Post
GREAT SONG!

I really dig this man - the band sounds absolutely killer! The singer really knows what he's doing. He has an incredible and unique voice and he really adds an interesting feel to the music. The drumming and guitar playing is great - really good stuff from all of you. And I do agree that you should of "rocked out" a bit more to really get the energy flowing. The other thing I would alter would be the drumming that starts with the guitar solo at 2:15. I don't particularly like the closed hi-hat feel, I was kind of expecting more of a ride cymbal crashing part or an intense open hi-hat feel. But yeah, that's just my two cents.

Great stuff,
Tom
Hey Tom, thanks for commenting on my playing. I love your covers on Youtube! I agree with you on the solo part; when we 'put the song together' for the first time, I was told that all the attention should go to the guitar player in that section, so I should play as little as possible, so I tried that. I would play it differently right now, if I could do it over.