DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 AM

Default 1980's Tama Imperialstar

Hey guys, I need some help with pricing this 1980's Tama Imperialstar. It's a 1980's Tama Imperialstar with mahogany shells with Zola coating on the inside. The rack toms are concert toms and the two floor toms are regular toms with reso heads. It is a single bass drum set with 9 rack toms ranging from 6 to 18 inches in diameter. The snare on this kit is an old King Beat with all original hardware and snappy snare wires. The King Beat snare is a 10 lug snare with internal muffler. The kit comes with 2 tom stands. The condition of the shells is almost perfect, a few scratches here and there, but the hardware is fair to good with some rusting and pitting. The snares strainer has more than just surface rust and may eventually need to be replaced. All drum heads have to be replaced as it is more than 20 years old. I don't have the serial number and i am not sure the exact year but i know it's probably the early 80's because of the concert toms and King Beat snare. The shop i am buying it from want $1200 for just the drumset, new heads NOT included. Considering the condition of the hardware i think the price is too high. I know it's hard to determine without pictures but can someone help me out and tell me what a fair price would be?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1980's Tama Imperialstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
Hey guys, I need some help with pricing this 1980's Tama Imperialstar. It's a 1980's Tama Imperialstar with mahogany shells with Zola coating on the inside. The rack toms are concert toms and the two floor toms are regular toms with reso heads. It is a single bass drum set with 9 rack toms ranging from 6 to 18 inches in diameter. The snare on this kit is an old King Beat with all original hardware and snappy snare wires. The King Beat snare is a 10 lug snare with internal muffler. The kit comes with 2 tom stands. The condition of the shells is almost perfect, a few scratches here and there, but the hardware is fair to good with some rusting and pitting. The snares strainer has more than just surface rust and may eventually need to be replaced. All drum heads have to be replaced as it is more than 20 years old. I don't have the serial number and i am not sure the exact year but i know it's probably the early 80's because of the concert toms and King Beat snare. The shop i am buying it from want $1200 for just the drumset, new heads NOT included. Considering the condition of the hardware i think the price is too high. I know it's hard to determine without pictures but can someone help me out and tell me what a fair price would be?
Good for you $500 Good for them $800 and up

Imp. concert toms sound really good actually, they have their own distinct, solid/wet sound.

What colour are the drums?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Unless you're really into concert toms, I'd pass. The kit's priced way too high at $1200.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:17 AM

Yeah, i didn't end up buying it. The color is gun metal gray which looked bad ass, but the guys that owned the shop wouldn't come down on price. I offered them 1,000 with drum heads thrown in, i thought it was a reasonable offer since concert toms are rarely used anymore and the kit is so big it was gonna cost me $200+ to put decent heads on the set. Now the drum set is sitting in the back room, pieces scattered through out and no one is gonna buy it what a waste of a beautiful sounding drum set.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 AM

Hey, is $900 a good price for this drum set; the one listed below i mean? Or should i go lower, because they made a second offer of $900. I was thinking $700 or $800 at most, does that sound about right?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
Hey, is $900 a good price for this drum set; the one listed below i mean? Or should i go lower, because they made a second offer of $900. I was thinking $700 or $800 at most, does that sound about right?
Go in there with $750 cash, I bet they take it.