DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Doug Masters's Avatar
Doug Masters Doug Masters is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sin City, USA
Posts: 515
Default Vintage Emperor equivalent?

Recently discovered how great the Remo Vintage Emperors sound on my Yamaha MCA. However, I prefer the consistantcy and durability of Evans (re-tuning the Remos gets old). Does anyone know if Evans has an answer to the Vintage Emperor?

Thanks
__________________
DW Performance
Yamaha Oak Custom
Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
drumhammerer drumhammerer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 416
Default Re: Vintage Emperor equivalent?

Nope. Don't be afraid to use these if you really like them. They're good quality heads, and I don't have to re-tune them any more than any other brand. Actually, I've had more re-tuning issues with some Evans heads than any other brands. And there ain't no way Evans are more durable than Remo. I've pitted up more Evans heads than I can count. Either way, I do like some of Evan's heads, and I like some Aquarians too, and I often have all 3 brands on my kit at one time; sometimes 4 with Attack heads.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Doug Masters's Avatar
Doug Masters Doug Masters is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sin City, USA
Posts: 515
Default Re: Vintage Emperor equivalent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
I don't have to re-tune them any more than any other brand. Actually, I've had more re-tuning issues with some Evans heads than any other brands. And there ain't no way Evans are more durable than Remo. I've pitted up more Evans heads than I can count.
Maybe you have been lucky but I've gone back and forth between Evans and Remo for many many years and in my experience Remo heads sound better when they are tuned well but will not stay in tune and will not last as long as Evans. Of course its all subjective when it comes to sound but for now I have settled on the Vintage Emporer for my MCAs at home and G2s on my Oak kit I play out with.
__________________
DW Performance
Yamaha Oak Custom
Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
PureRockFury's Avatar
PureRockFury PureRockFury is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 95
Default Re: Vintage Emperor equivalent?

I'm using a Vintage Emperor on my SensiTone Elite Aluminum and LOVE IT! It barely needs to be tuned due to the stiffer opaque film they are using instead of the ultra clear film for regular Coated Emperors.

It has a nice fat attack, a little bit of tasty ring and its still plenty sensitive.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Vintage Emperor equivalent?

Do yourself a favor and get the Vintage Emperor, if that's what you like everything else will fall short anyway. I've seen better construction with Evans heads, but I prefer the sound and feel of Remos. With Evans it seemed the head would lose it's tone before it physically wore out and heads that sound like paper are of no use. Remo may lose coating etc., but still sound nice. I'm going to start using Remo Renaissance heads myself as they have a warm sound but don't have a coating that can wear out. They make Renaissance Emperors too, by the way.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Mathew 7:21's Avatar
Mathew 7:21 Mathew 7:21 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 133
Default Re: Vintage Emperor equivalent?

Ok, Tell me, what is the sound different from the reg.Emperors to the Vintage? Compare please!
__________________
Tama Starclassic B/B 20x22, 9x12, 12x14, 14x16
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Pedro Pedro is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 618
Default Re: Vintage Emperor equivalent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Do yourself a favor and get the Vintage Emperor, if that's what you like everything else will fall short anyway. I've seen better construction with Evans heads, but I prefer the sound and feel of Remos. With Evans it seemed the head would lose it's tone before it physically wore out and heads that sound like paper are of no use. Remo may lose coating etc., but still sound nice. I'm going to start using Remo Renaissance heads myself as they have a warm sound but don't have a coating that can wear out. They make Renaissance Emperors too, by the way.
Did you try renaissance on tomtoms? How do they sound? I never heard a drum having renaissance on tomtoms.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Vintage Emperor equivalent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
Recently discovered how great the Remo Vintage Emperors sound on my Yamaha MCA. However, I prefer the consistantcy and durability of Evans (re-tuning the Remos gets old). Does anyone know if Evans has an answer to the Vintage Emperor?

Thanks
If you like the way they sound, why don't just use Vintage Emperors?


Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com