DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Chriztian Chriztian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1
Default Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

Hello! all drummerworldererz.

I am just wondering if anyone here can give me some information about the D.C signature drumstick? is it light/heavy? how is the weight balanced? is it beefy/thin?

This is what i've read at Zildjians website but it didn't give me so much:

"All-around versatility with a mini bead for pinpoint accuracy and meaty shoulder for durability. Built for speed. U.S. Select Hickory".

pleased with answer

Christian
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

There was a guy on here--Matt something not too long ago that just got endorsed by Zildjian sticks and used those try looking him up
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52271
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,721
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztian View Post
Hello! all drummerworldererz.

I am just wondering if anyone here can give me some information about the D.C signature drumstick? is it light/heavy? how is the weight balanced? is it beefy/thin?

This is what i've read at Zildjians website but it didn't give me so much:

"All-around versatility with a mini bead for pinpoint accuracy and meaty shoulder for durability. Built for speed. U.S. Select Hickory".

pleased with answer

Christian
.55 (14 mm). Zildjian uses a lighter hickory, they don't last and are easily destroyed if you play hard... fine if your name is on em and you get them for free.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

They get mixed reviews really. The ones I've had broke quickly and I play no where near as hard as most drummers. (one broke on a rubber Td-6 pad--AntiVibe stick too). Then again, I've had 3 pairs of 5Bs last a few years now, I don't play with them regularly though as they are quite heavy sticks. A few of the artists I've seen under Zildjian sticks use other companies too. My guess is they just designed a stick for Zildjian and use the others. If you like them you can try finding a similar model in other brands if you want. Every brand has a unique style to construction. Vic Firth Dave Weckl Originals, Regal Tip 8A and Vater Matrix I believe are similar in style as well
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2009, 03:15 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
They get mixed reviews really. The ones I've had broke quickly and I play no where near as hard as most drummers. (one broke on a rubber Td-6 pad--AntiVibe stick too). Then again, I've had 3 pairs of 5Bs last a few years now, I don't play with them regularly though as they are quite heavy sticks. A few of the artists I've seen under Zildjian sticks use other companies too. My guess is they just designed a stick for Zildjian and use the others. If you like them you can try finding a similar model in other brands if you want. Every brand has a unique style to construction. Vic Firth Dave Weckl Originals, Regal Tip 8A and Vater Matrix I believe are similar in style as well
Well I'm a little surprised here...because maybe this is a misunderstanding, but before when we were conversing you said this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I'll have to check out Louie's sticks. My experience with Zildjian sticks is very limited. I've had 5Bs (a gift) sticks that I've been using as concert snare sticks and once a pair of 5A Dip that broke on my rubber TD-6 pads. I also had another gift pair of Travis Barker sticks (although I never have been a fan) and curiously enough they were great orchestral sticks as well. The new ones are thicker and heavier though. I'll have to look into Louie's, John Riley's, and Chambers' as well. That is pretty amazing that you have a Louie Bellson autographed pair of sticks!
What I got out of that comment was one bad experience and some other positive ones, although you really had not had much dealings with Zildjian and had never used the Chambers stick at all. Again, wanting to be fair, did I misunderstand that?

As for other artists designing Zildjian signature sticks while playing others, that simply isn't true. In fact all of us sign very tight deals that forbid that. And regarding that kind of stuff, I think my contract is probably the same as everyone else's because the attorney I worked with was top notch. Moreover, I have watched numerous Louie Bellson and Dennis Chambers gigs, many as close as 6 feet from the performer, and every time those guys were using their Zildjian signature sticks.

I went with Zildjian when I had offers from many places because of the Chambers stick. I really had no other reason to promote them other than because I thought a lot of the product. It has a nice balance to it and I like the attack I get from it. I'm also a very hard player /as is DC/ and have never had stick breaking problems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
.55 (14 mm). Zildjian uses a lighter hickory, they don't last and are easily destroyed if you play hard... fine if your name is on em and you get them for free.
This surprises me too. How does one even go about extracting and creating a lighter hickory? Then, if you were able to go to this trouble, why would you? Again, I'm just being friendly here. But I'm not entirely understanding.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,721
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith;605949

How does one even go about extracting and creating a [I
lighter [/i]hickory? Then, if you were able to go to this trouble, why would you? Again, I'm just being friendly here. But I'm not entirely understanding.
Take the initiative and learn about drumsticks/wood. There are different grades of hickory, some cheaper than others.

Zildjian's in business to make money, not make a drumstick that lasts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,493
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

There's also different parts of the tree, which are softer (lighter) and harder (darker).
Most people want "a nice looking stick", so the lighter ones are popular, but they are not as sturdy as a darker stick from close to the center of the tree with a tighter ring count (look at the butt end and count the lines).

The process they go through company to company is different too, so that affects the durability.
They all want some measure of durability I'm sure--you can't get a rep for sticks that last an hour or two--but one that breaks maybe a little sooner is most likely acceptable, & one more pair of sticks purchased by someone.

It's all in the way you play too.
2 people could play just as "hard" or loud as each other, but the way they play will be different and have an effect on durability.
Is someone using a motion that pulls sound out of a drum or cymbal to get volume, or are they slamming everything? The person who slams is going to go through a lot more sticks (among other things).

As an example, I've watched Ian Paice from beside his drum riser (yes, I'm lucky!). He was playing pretty loud, but he didn't even go through the pair of sticks he was playing the whole show and his sticks are around or under a standard 5B. It's a hefty stick compared to a Dennis Chambers stick, but it's not a log either.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Take the initiative and learn about drumsticks/wood. There are different grades of hickory, some cheaper than others.

Zildjian's in business to make money, not make a drumstick that lasts.
Ok Leslie/ I read your page/ let's start this again with the assumption upfront that I understand some very basic things, including the fact that there are various grades of wood. My asking you that question about lighter grades was my taking the initiative. I was also interested in your response because you seemed very passionate about your point of view.

Thanks KarlCrafton for your interesting response, because extracting wood from the center of a tree honestly never occured to me and I do feel a little silly for not thinking of that. But I'm still incredulous about the often inferred assumption that lighter by nature coincides with devalued quality. Personally I use lighter sticks by choice. And you are very correct that personal technique breaks more sticks than anything else. This lead me to wonder about Leslie's easily destroyed comment. As someone considered a pretty intense player, I play a fair number of shows and haven't broken more than 2 or 3 sticks of any kind in 5 years, including the Zildjians. But I play very little metal and maybe Leslie does. So perhaps that's the difference?

Leslie, are you involved in retail? I ask as inquiry to understand if your opinions of Zildjian are customer related or from negative personal experiences. You also seem very knowledgable about a number of gear related issues, so I look forward to learning more.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.

Last edited by mattsmith; 08-26-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,721
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

I'm still incredulous about the often inferred assumption that lighter by nature coincides with devalued quality

Depends on what 'quality' traits are to you. A lighter stick will not be as durable as the same stick in a harder grade of wood.

Zildjian/Chambers are weak at the tip. If you buy a pair and use them, chances are your tip(s) will fail first and that tip is so small, any breakage will be noticeable.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Customdrumstix.BIZ's Avatar
Customdrumstix.BIZ Customdrumstix.BIZ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 25
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

hey karl no disrespect on this!!! I swear!

I wanted to comment on the different parts of the hickory tree.....ive heard wood workers abroad say that the heart wood (the center and dark wood of a tree) is the strongest and hardest. that may be true, but for hickory its backwards...the dark wood you don't want IF your a hard player... its typically softer and lighter. the outter wood on a hickory tree is white, dense and heavy. it is a very noticable weight defference, although you CAN find white stix that are lighter than brown stix and vise versa, the white hickory holds the heavy weight belt... like karl said, if you check the bottom of the stick, look for how close the rings are to each other....the closer they are the better. it signifies density, which ads to durability but heavier weight usually comes with it....while investigating hickory with my supplier we found that there is a type of cut you can do to a log to avoid the heart wood....its called a "rift cut". they basically cut off the outside of the tree untill they get to the heart wood. the grain is straighter, and the wood is denser there (rings are really close), but naturally its more exspensive. usually they just feed the tree into the saw and keep moving it over so you get boards with white and brown in them which is a pain in the neck for me....thats just my 2 cents on hickory. I can't see the heart wood in purple heart or jatoba, but those trees consistancy with nice durable wood far exceeds hickory, but they out weight hickory so your 5b or 2b might feel like your holding drumsticks that weigh as much as baseball bats:) but you'll be heard
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,493
Default Re: Dennis Chambers Zildjian signature drumsticks

Good info to know, thanks.
I'll take mine Medium colored then.....with extra rings please :-)

I actually really like the feel of the darker hickory sticks, but if they tend to not last as long as the lighter sticks then that's the trade off I guess, and a heavy player is probably going to go through them faster.

Even though I play rock, and it gets pretty loud and raucous at times, we are usually mic'd with decent monitors. I'm playing lighter and freer nowadays (which is GREAT) since I know what I am doing is being heard through the PA (as I'm not competing with 2 Marshals and a bass amp) and I'm not as hard on the sticks--which is good. For me anyway.

Keep up the great work on my sticks CDS!

Check them out, I'm sure glad I did.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com