DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Yamaha Maple Custom Definitive!

Hi

Anyone knows anything about this set? I saw one on ebay but after some googling found out they were some sort of European version. How are those drums and how can they compare to Maple Custom Absolutes? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Yamaha Maple Custom Definitive!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Drums-Per...-Custom-vs.htm
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim View Post
Hi

Anyone knows anything about this set? I saw one on ebay but after some googling found out they were some sort of European version. How are those drums and how can they compare to Maple Custom Absolutes? Thanks.
Definitive was the prototype, current 'Tour Custom' line. They have rounded bearing edges and wrap finishes. Later released in the USA as Tour Custom.

They are one step under Absolutes in the Yamaha line, on par with Stage Custom but different edge profile.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

The Definitive wasnt a prototype. It was a full (chinese) maple shell with different shell construction (shell and type of edges) that supposed gave that 60's sound.

It was above the Oak and under Maple Custom Absolute in line (and the Stage Custom is under the Oak in line)

It only came in three 60's colours.

It didn't listed very long though.

Discription:
http://www.soundsmusical.com/product.asp?productid=584

Last edited by MusiQmaN; 08-21-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiQmaN View Post
The Definitive wasnt a prototype. It was a full (chinese) maple shell with different shell construction (shell and type of edges) that supposed gave that 60's sound.

It was above the Oak and under Maple Custom Absolute in line (and the Stage Custom is under the Oak in line)

It only came in three 60's colours.

It didn't listed very long though.

Discription:
http://www.soundsmusical.com/product.asp?productid=584

Yamaha's American dealers liked theses sets at trade shows, saw they could sell them in the US. Yamaha gave them a new look and called them 'Tour Custom'. Tour Custom was born of Definitive.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim View Post
Hi

I own this set as you see it here, except my large tom is a 16" floor tom. Same wrap. I did some research on these too, as I was new to drums. They were made for the Canadian and European market, but I don't think they were sold in the US. I bought my kit (shells only) for $1000 (CAD = $950 USD) used in January, as it seemed like a good deal compared to what I was seeing on the net. It's hard to find info on them, but one guy here in Canada said they "retailed" for $2800 when new - he was selling a brand new set for about $1800. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you how they sound comparatively, because I am new to drumming and drum kits and this is my first. Although, I can say that I am not unhappy with the sound. They sound a lot better since I've replaced the heads and learned more about tuning.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculley View Post
I own this set as you see it here, except my large tom is a 16" floor tom. Same wrap. I did some research on these too, as I was new to drums. They were made for the Canadian and European market, but I don't think they were sold in the US. I bought my kit (shells only) for $1000 (CAD = $950 USD) used in January, as it seemed like a good deal compared to what I was seeing on the net. It's hard to find info on them, but one guy here in Canada said they "retailed" for $2800 when new - he was selling a brand new set for about $1800. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you how they sound comparatively, because I am new to drumming and drum kits and this is my first. Although, I can say that I am not unhappy with the sound. They sound a lot better since I've replaced the heads and learned more about tuning.
Sculley, welcome to the board and congrats on owning some very cool and unique drums!

spleen
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Hi Guys! I bought this drumkit (BD 20", toms in 12", 13" and 14") this year for about 1500 USD and I really love it.

Unfortunately I can't compare the sound with regular Maple Custom (I don't own one). The main difference, appart from number of wood layers on shells and design of the shell edges is the maple itself that came from China (not from Japan as for regular Maple Custom).

Now it is true that Tour Custom derives from the Maple Definitive, but the MD was made in Japan (with chinese maple), while the Tour Custom is manufactured in Indonesia. Does it make a difference in sound and quality? Apparently not according to an article I read about the Tour Custom in french magazine "Batteur". So apparently I now a own a drumkit that is classified in the lower Yamaha standards... I am a bit disapointed about that... Nice fusion kit anyway!

If you want to get an idea of the sound, I can send you privately some homerecordings I made with it (using a Yamaha copper snare drums, not the original one which was not included in the package I bought)

If anyone sells the original snare drums, I am interested!

Regards

TitoLoco

Last edited by TitoLoco; 01-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 PM

I have the tour custom in moto x finish, lacquer not a wrap.
The kit has 24" by 17" bass, 12"x9", 16"x16" toms and 14"x6" snare.
The kit looks and sounds great.G2's batter and G1's reso, Emad bass batter and EQ3 reso with 4" port.
Skunk
Old 01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoLoco View Post
Unfortunately I can't compare the sound with regular Maple Custom (I don't own one). The main difference, appart from number of wood layers on shells and design of the shell edges is the maple itself that came from China (not from Japan as for regular Maple Custom).

Now it is true that Tour Custom derives from the Maple Absolute, but the MA was made in Japan (with chinese maple), while the Tour Custom is manufactured in Indonesia. Does it make a difference in sound and quality? Apparently not according to an article I read about the Tour Custom in french magazine "Batteur". So apparently I now a own a drumkit that is classified in the lower Yamaha standards... I am a bit disapointed about that... Nice fusion kit anyway!
Actually your comment about the Maple Custom Abs. wood is not correct. The maple on the maple custom abs. comes form America, and yes they are made in Japan...:)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Actually your comment about the Maple Custom Abs. wood is not correct. The maple on the maple custom abs. comes form America, and yes they are made in Japan...:)
Yep, mistake from my side, I was talking about the Maple Custom Definitive of course, which is the one we are talking about here, not the Absolute, ...
Old 11-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Silver Member

WICKED! - I googled "Yamaha Maple Custom Definitive", this thread was the top link.

Earlier today, I recorded some songs for a radio show (I'll post the deets in the "Your Playing" section), and they had a house kit:

Upon seeing them stacked up in a corner I thought, what a funky finish:

Seeing them up close I saw the badge and thought, crazy - never heard of them. Plus there is a maple leaf logo identical to the one found on the Canadian flag:

You can also see the price tag, (in CAD), most likely from the music store chain, Long & McQuaids, popular here in Canada.

The kit I used was a 22/10/16, there was also a 12" tom. They were (unbelievably) in decent tune and I didn't adjust at all. There was a little more muffling in the kick than I would put in and gave a rather dead sound - I trusted the guy engineering session was used to this so I didn't change it. It was a typically sounding dead kick. The toms however, were fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Older, but not dented, Clear Emperor's with a touch of gaffer tape on them and stock Yammie reso's produced a warm, rounded tone I found pleasing.

My $0.02 on Maple Custom Definitive's.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Yamaha's American dealers liked theses sets at trade shows, saw they could sell them in the US. Yamaha gave them a new look and called them 'Tour Custom'. Tour Custom was born of Definitive.

I really like the looks of that kit.

The closest thing available from Yamaha now though is the Rock Tour, and size-wise, it's nothing like it at all.

That's always been my complaint about Yamaha stuff - they introduce, change, and drop stuff too quickly.

I'll bet there would have been a decent sized US market for that Definitive kit in those sizes in the pic.