DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Zoom H4n for Recording

I am looking for a decent recording device for gigs and practice. I have just heard about the Zoom digital recorders. What is the difference between the H2,H4 and H4n models and is the H4n worth the extra money and what is the recording quality like?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Zoom H4n for Recording

I can only tell you I have the H4 and it works just fine for me.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 PM

I did a search on here, but only found posts about the H2 and H4. The general feed back is positve, but I am after a comparison with the H4n.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator

The H4n is the newest model and may not be owned by anyone in the group yet.

Maybe read this.

http://reviews.cnet.com/voice-record...-33483153.html
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM

I use an H2 with good results for just scratch recording rehearsals
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

I have the H4n. I like it plenty, and I own enough gear to do a full recording any time I want. Unless I'm planning on offering a recording for sale, I can't think why I would delve into the full pile of gear. At most, a mic or two, cables and the H4n would cover me. I've plopped it on a table, and recorded a full band, and you can hear everything well. More careful placement would yeild excellent results, and it would be absolutely ideal for grabbing a live show.

The original H4 garnered complaints to the point that conventional wisdom said you'd be better off with the H2. The H4n addressed all these complaints, and was very warmly received by former critics. The n replaced the H4, which was no longer available when I shopped, so I don't recall the exact shortcomings offhand, but remember that they were not inconsequential.

Haing said that, I opted for the 4n over the 2 to get the ability to use external mics, which has turned out to be unnecessary, as the built in pair work far better than I expected. The ability to multi-track is cute, and I don't really regret the purchase, but I'm a little hesitant to recommend it over the H2. Only the 2 has the built-in ability to do 360 recording, which can come in handy.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM

Question:
I want to record/produce some drumming videos for youtube. I'm working within a budget. I understand 4 mic recording techniques. Going to spring for quality mics. Would it be better to purchase a used computer and add sound card, hard drive and mixing software or go with the Zoom H4n?

Can the Zoom H4n sync with video? Friend has a 5,000 pro video camera he will allow me to use. The Zoom H4n seems like it would be less complicated, more portable and an easier solution but will it handle four mics or would I also need a mixer?

Thanks for your assistance!

Billy
Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Silver Member

The Zoom would certainly be less expensive. You could use the built-in mics as X/Y overheads, and add two other mics with the built-in pres. I don't think it'll sync, but you'll need to upload the video at some point anyway, just drop the audio into your editor. For Youtube, you may find you don't need extra mics, it captures a room pretty well by itself.

The computer would give you more flexibility.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:35 AM

If I were to go the pc route, I'd need (besides the mikes), a usb four channel mixer, pc with hi quality sound card, large hard drive and editing software. Is this correct? What software would you recommend?

Thanks once again!

Billy