DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM

Default A little help please?

Hey guys. I'm looking for a job so I can help support my band and hopefully buy some new equipment. Obviously, for a musician, my first choice would be guitar center. I found out they're hiring in drums through a friend who works there now. The problem is there's an online assessment you have to get almost perfect in, or at least perfect on the drum questions, before they'll even interview. I think this isn't the best idea, because they could pass up on qualified people because they made a mistake on the assessment.

Anyway... to prevent that I'm going to post the drum questions here and hopefully someone can answer them accurately. I know a lot of them, but I want to make sure they're right before I take it. Thanks in advance! :)

Which cymbal will have the highest pitch?

16" medium thin non-brilliant

16" medium

16" thin

16" medium thin brilliant

What is the most important part of a drum where sound is concerned?

shell mounting system

drumhead

finish

lugs

On a drumshell, what is a bearing edge?

Top and bottom of the shell where the drumhead meets

The interior of the shell that bears the most stress points

The edge of the shell that bears the most weight

The edge where the covered mylar finish meets on the shell

Which drumhead would be easier to tune and offer more durability?

double ply

coated single ply

triple ply

clear single ply

What is the difference between a Cast Hoop and Triple Flange hoop?

Cast is made from an injection mold & Triple flanged is made from three separate alloys

Cast is poured from rolled steel & triple flanged is tempered three times

Cast hoop is wood and Triple flanged is chrome plated three times

Cast is a solid casting & triple flange is rolled from steel with three bends

What type of drumhead is best suited for brush playing?

Coated Single ply

Pinstripe

Clear single ply head

Smooth White

Which Drumstick is fatter in diameter?

5a oak

5a hickory

5B oak

5A nylon
Old 08-09-2009, 10:55 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: A little help please?

Isn't this cheating?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Not really. As I said, I mainly want a CHANCE to get the job. Doing well doesn't assure me the job, but it does assure me an interview. All I really want is a chance to prove myself, and I don't think the assessment really gives me a chance. Some of the questions are slightly vague, and things I wouldn't know from just playing the drums. I've been playing for quite a while, and I KNOW I am much more qualified then the drums employee there. I just don't want to be held back by this simple assessment. If in the interview, the manager finds out I know nothing, then so be it. At least I had a chance to prove myself.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:18 PM

Wow. That's all you need to know to work at GC? I'm IN!
Seriously, I kind of have a problem with this too, because you're a drummer, so you should know this stuff (and a whole lot more). So rather than give you the answers, the least you could do is a little research on the internet to figure it out for yourself. You will learn better that way too, because you will know WHY the correct answers are right. That is the least I would expect when I go to a music store and have questions for the sales team.

Hey, if you REALLY get stuck, then come back, show us YOUR answers, and the I'd be happy to help you then. Fair enough?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM

Okay, I'll tell you what I think. Also, I've already researched a lot of them, just want to make sure I'm right. It's not that I'm lazy, well maybe a little, it's just that I can read a lot about drums, or cymbals, but still not have the EXACT answer to the question. And no, that's not ALL you need to know, the assessment isn't just about drums, it's about everything they sell. Funny enough, I feel I know more of the other questions then the drums. Anyways...

Which cymbal will have the highest pitch?

It's the 16" thin I'm pretty sure. However... I don't really know much about the 16" medium thin brilliant.

What is the most important part of a drum where sound is concerned?

For this, I'd say the drumhead. Although the lugs are important for making the drumhead sound good.... and the shell mounting is crucial for the type of sound you get out of the drum. I don't think it's the finish though... not too sure on this one.

On a drumshell, what is a bearing edge?

I'm pretty sure this is the top or bottom of the shell where it meets the drumhead.

Which drumhead would be easier to tune and offer more durability?

I know the more ply, the more durable, however I don't know how they affect tuning.

What is the difference between a Cast Hoop and Triple Flange hoop?

I'm also pretty sure the answer is cast is a solid casting & triple flanged is rolled from steel with three bends

What type of drumhead is best suited for brush playing?

Based on experiance actually playing brushes, I say coated.

Which Drumstick is fatter in diameter?

Pretty sure it's the 5B!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

This seems to be fairly basic drum knowledge. Maybe the quiz is there for a reason?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

actually you are applying at guitar center and all of those questions are on the pre-assessment questionnaire. i know cause i work there and had to take it myself. maybe you should find that stuff out by yourself rather than asking everyone to do your work for you!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 PM

I will say this... your cymbal answer was wrong. You may want to go and have a listen on youtube to a few clips of identical sized cymbals of different weights and thicknesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14wWGU5dbDw

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_kH-...eature=channel

which sounds brighter and higher pitched to you?

they are two cymbals that i own.. both are the same size and profile, but one is thicker and heavier than the other. One of them sounds much brighter and higher pitched than the other.

Go have a think and work it out
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Interesting questions, I think some of the answers are iffy. For the cymbal, it could be either the medium, or medium thin brilliant. Same with the head tuning/durability, and I hadn't heard of a triple-ply head before! Guess I can't work at GC.

But I guarantee everyone here that there are plenty of current GC employees who couldn't answer the questions - and generally have a poor knowledge of drums as well - so how'd they get through?

Bermuda
Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Those seem like pretty basic questions that you should be able to answer without any trouble. You don't sound very confident in your answers posted here, and just the fact that you're posting for help (which I agree is cheating) makes me want to know which GC hires you (if they do) so I'll know which one NOT to shop at.

Not to sound harsh. You may be a fine drummer in every other way. But it doesn't sound like you know enough about the nuts-and-bolts side of things to be very helpful to unsuspecting customers. I like someone who's a little drum nerdy like me in a salesguy. Otherwise, you're just another lousy salesguy.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

I agree with Berm on the cymbal and head questions. There are too many variables to pick a definitive answer. My own collection could be used to prove multiple answers right, I'd love to hear some of Berm's offerings!

I'm not surprised GC would give a test like this... for many reasons.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Just noticed that the OP was almost 5 months ago... probably not relevant anymore.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 AM

They must have recently re-done their applications. I applied to guitar center about 2 years ago and they didn't ask a single question about drums. Most of it was about customer service, and what to do in certain situations with customers. Good to know that the people they are hiring must have at least a little experience with drums. Personally I hate guitar center, and have heard that it is a horrible place to work at. Since you are paid on commission it's all about sales numbers, and you competing with your fellow co-workers. Also heard things like if you don't sell a certain amount you get paid almost nothing.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Interesting questions, I think some of the answers are iffy. For the cymbal, it could be either the medium, or medium thin brilliant. Same with the head tuning/durability, and I hadn't heard of a triple-ply head before! Guess I can't work at GC.

But I guarantee everyone here that there are plenty of current GC employees who couldn't answer the questions - and generally have a poor knowledge of drums as well - so how'd they get through?

Bermuda
Yep.

Fox.