DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Default planning on buying samson 8 piece drum mic kit, need help picking a mixer

hey guys i was planning on buying this after i sell my car and i have no idea really what mixer i need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
i heard the usb ones are good and some say they are bad for recording because of latency or something?
found one with 10 mic things
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by PeterPF13; 08-10-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: planning on buying samson 8 piece drum mic kit, need help picking a mixer

There are some USB mixers by M-Audio with no latency problems at all. Try their website.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 PM

Default Re: planning on buying samson 8 piece drum mic kit, need help picking a mixer

It honestly depends on what you want out of a mixer.
If it's purely for mixing live stuff, then any mixer with enough inputs would generally do.
Though if you're looking at doing a lot of recording then an audio interface or a mixer with direct usb (better with firewire) out would be best. The Allen and Heath thing would do the job. I've heard good things about them, though they are pretty expensive. Something cheaper would be something like the alesis io/26. It's firewire and made primarily for recording. Though Alesis do some good other mixers with direct usb/firewire outs that won't break the bank as much. Check out the website. Just hunt around and check out reviews, generally the best thing to do.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 AM

it would be cheaper to buy a mixer with usb/firewire than to have to buy a pci card with that stuff and a regular mixer.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 AM

Echoing other posts, if this is for live use, I think you'll do ok with those choices. If your goal is recording, then you should consider doing a bit more research before taking the plunge.

For my own 2 cents, I wouldn't pick either of those linked items for recording purposes. Instead, I would concentrate all of my efforts towards getting the best quality Mics and Pre amps that I could afford. A mixer may not even be relevant for tracking drums. Generally, you want to go from mic to pre to computer with as few extras in the way as possible.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

I'd go with Gruntersdad on the mixer. If you're buying Samson mic's there's no point in going to the expense of Allen & Heath. A&H are superb though, especially live.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

I have used a smaller Behringer board with a CAD 7 pc mic kit with very good results live (it depends on your PA system too). I regret not buying a board with more channels thought (mine is a 8 channel). I agree with the other posts if you are going to record though.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM

well this is not gonna happend for awhile, got bit by a dog yesterday :(