DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Default DW X shell kick drum head?

I just bought a DW kit with a 22x18 "X" shell kick drum. I have been a Remo PS3 player for a long time. I tried the EMAD and liked it, but I felt I got just a little more volume and open boom with a PS3. In general, I play my kit wide open with no muffling on anything, so I like a loud open sound. I like a loud kick drum sound with plenty of low end and a little bit of boom, but not too much for miking purposes. I usually just have a small hourglass pillow in the kick barely touching both heads when running the PS3. What head choices would you guys recommend? From what I have studied and read, the majority of heads used are EMADs and PS3's, with a few Evans EQ's in there as well. I tried an Aquarian superkick and didn't dig it. What do you think for a DW drum with the specs I mentioned?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: DW X shell kick drum head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
I just bought a DW kit with a 22x18 "X" shell kick drum. I have been a Remo PS3 player for a long time. I tried the EMAD and liked it, but I felt I got just a little more volume and open boom with a PS3. In general, I play my kit wide open with no muffling on anything, so I like a loud open sound. I like a loud kick drum sound with plenty of low end and a little bit of boom, but not too much for miking purposes. I usually just have a small hourglass pillow in the kick barely touching both heads when running the PS3. What head choices would you guys recommend? From what I have studied and read, the majority of heads used are EMADs and PS3's, with a few Evans EQ's in there as well. I tried an Aquarian superkick and didn't dig it. What do you think for a DW drum with the specs I mentioned?
Take a look at the Evans EQ1. It's similar to the PS3 and has a removable muffling ring. My Dubs like em.

Congrats on the new kit.

HTH
Old 08-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Gold Member

How about EQ3 or 4's? Anyone?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Since no one else has posted yet, I've used the EQ3 also, It's a two ply version of the EQ1. A little more focus and depth.

The EQ series is more open, boomier, and rounder, sounding than the EMADs or SKs. They are louder too, They tend to favor a lower tuning than EMADs.

They are similar in construction to the PS3. The extra internal muffling ring can be removed
on both heads, I don't use them. I like an open sound as well.

Post pics of those new Dubs when you get a chance.

HTH
Old 08-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Since no one else has posted yet, I've used the EQ3 also, It's a two ply version of the EQ1. A little more focus and depth.

The EQ series is more open, boomier, and rounder, sounding than the EMADs or SKs. They are louder too, They tend to favor a lower tuning than EMADs.

They are similar in construction to the PS3. The extra internal muffling ring can be removed
on both heads, I don't use them. I like an open sound as well.

Post pics of those new Dubs when you get a chance.

HTH
Thanks for being so considerate and posting your thoughts and experiences with the heads. I normally wouldn't post such a question, but since I purchased the DWs, I thought maybe I'd save some hassle and cash and poll some folks who have tried different batter heads on the DWs and liked a certain head with the same characteristics I'm looking for. I know how PS3s sound and am used to them, I just wondered about the EQ series heads from Evans since I never tried them. I guess to really know, I should just try one to see. Anyway, thanks for your insight, I appreciate it and I'll post some pics asap.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

Clint,

I hope you will still communicate with us low life Yamaha players LOL

Please post pictures when your new kit arrives. When do you expect it?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Clint,

I hope you will still communicate with us low life Yamaha players LOL

Please post pictures when your new kit arrives. When do you expect it?
Hey Pete! The guys at Dale's drum shop in Harrisburg, PA told me it would be about 2 weeks from this past Tuesday. I should have them soon. Can't wait to tweak them up and gig out with them. The first show will be with .38 special through a monster PA. That's the way to break them in huh? :o)
Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Clint,

Did you get the drums yet? That venue should be a great place to break in your kit. You must be very excited. I hope you have a great gig and I'm sure the drums will sound killer.

Pete