DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Best rack system. Please help.

I used a rack system for my kit many years ago. I can't remember the make but the clamps used to slip after a while. I'm sure things have improved dramatically in the last 20 years or so. I'm after a rack for my 6 piece kit. I use a lot of cymbals and I'm getting frustrated with having to set up so many stands. I also need to cut down on stage room. Most of my stands hold at least 2 cymbals so I've cut down the numbers as much as possible. My kick doesn't have anything mounted on it. To cut costs down, I'm hoping to use my existing stand tops & mounts. I have quite a selection of makes so I need the rack clamps to accomodate the variety. I used to like setting up the kit with a rack because the positions of everything remained the same each time. With my current setup, I spend at least 10 minutes positioning everything. I intend to keep my hihat & snare stand. My last rack was difficult to break down into small sections so I could transport it in a car. The new rack needs to break down into compact sections but each section and mounting clamp needs to have memory locks so I can repeat the setup position each time. All experiences, both good & bad, most welcome.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Best rack system. Please help.

have you looked at any online like Gibraltar, Pearl, yamaha, pdp. Those would be the best places to start. not sure how well they will breakdown as far as coming apart for transport but those are the major players in the rack market.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:27 PM

It has been my experience that any rack system which has round tubing will suffer clamp slippage after awhile. I bought and use a Pearl Icon 503 (square tubing) and that problem has been totally eliminated. Rock solid rack system, IMO. Hope this helps you a bit.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Have you looked at the new Yamaha hex rack system?....IMO it's the finest rack out there,....a bit pricey, but worth it IMO.....here is a pic of my e-kit with it..

Old 09-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Pioneer Member

The Pearl seems to be the one that everyone favors for rock solid design because of the square rails. The PDP rack is nice and has quality clamps, locks and arms. It also looks unobtrusive. Not sure about long term use and clamp slippage because of the round rails.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Have you looked at the new Yamaha hex rack system?....IMO it's the finest rack out there,....a bit pricey, but worth it IMO.....here is a pic of my e-kit with it..

Nice looking kit!!! What one is it?

As far as the Yamaha hex rack I think it's awesome but the price is really steep compared to others.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Depending on your budget, the Pearl Icon or Yamaha hex. I have a Pearl Icon and have no slippage problems and it's much less expensive than the Yamaha.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Depending on your budget, the Pearl Icon or Yamaha hex. I have a Pearl Icon and have no slippage problems and it's much less expensive than the Yamaha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
It has been my experience that any rack system which has round tubing will suffer clamp slippage after awhile. I bought and use a Pearl Icon 503 (square tubing) and that problem has been totally eliminated. Rock solid rack system, IMO. Hope this helps you a bit.
I've had my Gibraltar rack since 2001. At different time periods it's been a gigging setup [assembled & disassembled constantly] and also remained set up for long stretches in a rehearsal room. Never has anything slipped. I don't know about the older rack systems, but from my experience with mine and from many others who have them as well, a round tube rack is not prone to slippage. User error causes it 99.9% of the time. Sure, a clamp could break. None of mine have.

I was also advised, by a Pearl endorser, no less, that the rivets in the Pearl rack clamps loosen over time [not even a very long period] and will cause the clamps to rattle from vibration. I'm not saying this to spark a Gibraltar/Pearl debate, just relaying information. If you have a round tube rack, tighten the clamps sufficiently, and use memory locks for particularly heavily loaded clamps, and you'll be fine.

Check the "your gear" section in the "your place" heading for photos of my Gib. rack, currently holding my ProM's. It's the 3rd kit I've put on it.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

The 3 legged hex version is now dropped to 399 (4 clamps, 2 bars) against the pearl (1 leg and bar more, but still 4 clamps) witch goes for 419.

Personal I owned the Pearl but I dig my Hex more. Not because it's a Yamaha, but because it's more solid, more scrach resistant and non slippery (when used a lot, the Pearl would tend to slide left or rightways even when locked sturdy) and the clamps from the Hex are easier to adjust and in more ways to.

And I think the Hex looks better on drums (because it has roudn shapes)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiQmaN View Post
The 3 legged hex version is now dropped to 399 (4 clamps, 2 bars) against the pearl (1 leg and bar more, but still 4 clamps) witch goes for 419.

Personal I owned the Pearl but I dig my Hex more. Not because it's a Yamaha, but because it's more solid, more scrach resistant and non slippery (when used a lot, the Pearl would tend to slide left or rightways even when locked sturdy) and the clamps from the Hex are easier to adjust and in more ways to.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree!!...the yamaha is IMO a much better rack!..:).....
Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Nice looking kit!!! What one is it?

As far as the Yamaha hex rack I think it's awesome but the price is really steep compared to others.
Hey...it is an original DTXtreme RHP (real head pad) kit from the 2001-2003 period...IMO, still the best pads yamaha or anyone else has made for e-drums...I've upgraded it with the new yamaha e-cymbals, hihat cymbal, hex rack, & DTXtreme III module (great module, BTW)....:)...kit currently has mesh heads on all drums instead of mylar heads (which is what it came with)....

Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-27-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:01 AM

I prefer the pearl rack more because of the guarunteed non-slip square tubes. it is very durable and easy to tear down/build up. as far as the hex rack goes, havn't heard any good or bad things about it but what ever one you get make sure to tighten everything properly..even the square pearl.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 AM

Pearl ICON, DW main & side rack, and the Gibralters are best for acoustic (or real) drumsets. the yamaha is nice, and perfect for "e kits", but completely not worth it for a good old fashion drumset.
if you're a paranoid drummer like me, go wit the Pearl, the square tubing ust makes me feel all warm inside :)
but honestly, you get what you pay for and round tubing is perfectly fine and stable.

Pearl makes this DR-80 drum rack that is INSANELY cheap for a 3-sided rack of it's value, it doesn't have feet, but its suprisingly stable and won't shake any more than a high-end rack. It's only vice is that you can't ajust the height or the mounting bars, which you probably wouldnt need unless you have a specialty-kit or mounted floor toms. i think the going price is like $179.

idk just try different ones out and decide for yourself
Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
but completely not worth it for a good old fashion drumset
just curious... Why not?

The main development of the Hex hardware is based on acoustic drums and touring usage.

Thats why it has a no fingerprint and less scratching surface, no memory lock use, hexagonal construction with a round look, lightweight etc etc.

Last edited by MusiQmaN; 10-01-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:08 AM

hi there. First time on the forum for me. I have had a pearl rack for a number i years with a six piece master custom extra kit. a ride, china, 16", 14" 10" and a roland spd 20 mounted above the hi hats. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

For the ones intrested:

Get a $100 in-store instant rebate when you buy a HXR2L two-leg or a HXR3L three-leg HexRack from any authorized Yamaha dealer between 10.01.09 and 10.31.09. See store for details.

HXR2L
$399.99
-$100 instant rebate
$299.99 FINAL PRICE
HXR3L
$499.99
-$100 instant rebate
$399.99 FINAL PRICE
Old 10-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
For the ones intrested:

Get a $100 in-store instant rebate when you buy a HXR2L two-leg or a HXR3L three-leg HexRack from any authorized Yamaha dealer between 10.01.09 and 10.31.09. See store for details.

HXR2L
$399.99
-$100 instant rebate
$299.99 FINAL PRICE
HXR3L
$499.99
-$100 instant rebate
$399.99 FINAL PRICE

Also...wanted to let everyone know that for hex rack piece parts (i.e., tom clamps, cross clamps, etc..) Interstate Music has the best prices on the net...they just lowered most of their prices on hex rack stuff..:)
Old 10-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
The Hex has round shapes, how is that? Hex is Hex and round is round.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The Hex has round shapes, how is that? Hex is Hex and round is round.
No...the hex is hex in shape...albeit, yamaha has incorporated some round shapes with their poly-synthetic resin ball for the tom clamps and a poly-synthetic resin sleeve for the open cross clamps....however, there's really no way for them to slip...and it does provide a means of lowering rack transfer resonance..:)
Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

I have an Icon rack. I'm not biased, I just wanted to buy a rack and I found this baby used for $125 (three bar, four leg with five clamps).

I really like it and I REALLY like the fact that there are a lot of clamps out there that can be had pretty inexpensively used.

The Yamaha and the Pearl are great systems and have lots to offer. I doubt you'd be unhappy with either, but from what I've seen, the Pearl and the Pearl parts are the easiest to find used and therefore the least expensive when I need to add stuff.

I have experienced slippage with the Gibraltar racks before. Never played a gig on a PDP rack, so I don't know there.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

I have the PDP and attached the V-rack to make a third side (tube diameter is the same). Having heard this music before.....

My not-hex, not square, round tube rack is fine, never slipeed once. I average three or four gigs a month and hit harder than average (I'd say).

I'm not bashing the others cause at the time of my purchase (if a hex rack was available) if the price was right for the Hex rack, I'd probably have bought it. But to say that one is rack system is outright better than the other, is as pointless as me saying Sabian is better than Zildjian. All of them offer plenty of setup options, various clamps and holders and such. Just beware that the hex and square tube racks lock you into buying that company accesories only. Round tube diameter is common among a couple sold varieties and at least gives a couple options.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

I got in quite a discussion with another poster on another thread about round tube slippage. I had shared my experiences with older Gibraltar gear (early 90's vintage), and the issues I had had with that. However, as parts have worn out, I have upgraded them one at a time with the newer Road Series clamps, and they do a much better job of keeping stuff where it's supposed to be, without having to be cranked down with pliers. My next project with my rack is to replace all the original Power Series T-clamps with Road Series right angle clamps or adjustable angle clamps, and also some vertical tube cymbal holder adapters. I'm weighing the cost of doing that against selling the rack I have on CL and using the money to invest in a Hexrack.

My provisos to the above are: (1) even the older Power Series multiclamps have been fine for most loads; and (2) invest in memory locks for everything, since they're inexpensive and work. Gibraltar even sells a hinged version that can be taken off without dismantling your rack.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
I've had my Gibraltar rack since 2001. At different time periods it's been a gigging setup [assembled & disassembled constantly] and also remained set up for long stretches in a rehearsal room. Never has anything slipped. I don't know about the older rack systems, but from my experience with mine and from many others who have them as well, a round tube rack is not prone to slippage. User error causes it 99.9% of the time. Sure, a clamp could break. None of mine have.

If you have a round tube rack, tighten the clamps sufficiently, and use memory locks for particularly heavily loaded clamps, and you'll be fine.
Truth spoken. Drummers are some the cheapest musicians out there. How often do you see a guitarist carrying his guitar without a case? Drums without cases? Trying to mount 2 toms on a double tom holder with one clamp and no memory lock is only asking for trouble. Don't be a tight wad, spring for all the necessary gear to do it right. You'll be glad you did later on...

Another reason people have problems with slippage is lack of common sense. They try to hang a 16" tom a foot away from the rack pipe with no support (memory clamps, etc.) Look at it this way, hold any tom with your arm straight out.. Gets heavy pretty quick. Hold the same tom closer to your body and it doesn't seem so bad and can be held a lot longer. The same physics apply to mounting stuff on a rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I got in quite a discussion with another poster on another thread about round tube slippage. I had shared my experiences with older Gibraltar gear (early 90's vintage), and the issues I had had with that. However, as parts have worn out, I have upgraded them one at a time with the newer Road Series clamps, and they do a much better job of keeping stuff where it's supposed to be, without having to be cranked down with pliers. My next project with my rack is to replace all the original Power Series T-clamps with Road Series right angle clamps or adjustable angle clamps, and also some vertical tube cymbal holder adapters. I'm weighing the cost of doing that against selling the rack I have on CL and using the money to invest in a Hexrack.

My provisos to the above are: (1) even the older Power Series multiclamps have been fine for most loads; and (2) invest in memory locks for everything, since they're inexpensive and work. Gibraltar even sells a hinged version that can be taken off without dismantling your rack.
Great advice..

You shouldn't ever have to tighten with pliers. EVER. All you are doing is bending the hinge pins which will make the clamp seem like it is wearing out. If you think it needs to be tighter, add a memory lock or two...

I have had my racks for 15 years or more and had never had ANYTHING slip. I have even stood on my 16 & 18 floors. Not bad for 200+ lbs and the weight of the toms....
Old 10-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Official Drummerworld Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
No...the hex is hex in shape...albeit, yamaha has incorporated some round shapes with their poly-synthetic resin ball for the tom clamps and a poly-synthetic resin sleeve for the open cross clamps....however, there's really no way for them to slip...and it does provide a means of lowering rack transfer resonance..:)
Here is a few pic's to go with this.......

Here is my HXR3L with a Twist...........Still setting it up at the moment

Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike View Post
Here is a few pic's to go with this.......

Here is my HXR3L with a Twist...........Still setting it up at the moment

So its exactly the snare/feet combi I meant...

Thats so convinient.... Whats the part number...

Fun things with a Hex:
Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Official Drummerworld Photographer

Quote:
So its exactly the snare/feet combi I meant...

Thats so convinient.... Whats the part number...

Fun things with a Hex:
What part number?????

It's a stock three leg setup just add a hack saw lol........